Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Gaze upon my new shaft...a Tom Wood’s rear CV drive shaft for my TJ. To compliment the TeraFlex BellyUp transmission skid plate (tad more clearance in order to hang with my brother’s new to him 2015 JKUR). Also, pics of the rear upper (adjustable) and lower control arms (Metalcloak) to adjust the pinion angle from the tummy tuck/engine & body lift. The Novak T-case shift cable and the DEI heat shield replacement/fuel injector & rail covers (including pic of original heat shield). Next on the to-do list are the front axle upper bushing and control arms R&R.

View attachment 119021View attachment 119022View attachment 119023View attachment 119025View attachment 119026View attachment 119027View attachment 119028
What amazes me about Jeep is why so many people buy them and then change out all the running gear to HD stuff. Doesn't Jeep make jeeps that are capable from the factory ? I can see the bigger tires within reason and it looks like you are, but all the other changes except the tranny shield worries me. My LRD2 has only one weak point and it really isn't weak but it is a factory flaw. The damn drive shaft U Joints are not greaseable. Easy fix but most LRD2 owners just buy a whole new shaft with greaseable U joints because they are to lazy to change out the u joints themselves. Anyway, looks like your doing the thinks that will make a tank out of your rig.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

For tree branch protection ? Why did you remove them? Why not connect them to the rack bars ? Just asking

New rack requires them to be removed due to it’s proximity to the actual roof to maintain the lowest overall height possible. With roof bars the platform would be 11” off the rails, without its 8.5” or so.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
New rack requires them to be removed due to it’s proximity to the actual roof to maintain the lowest overall height possible. With roof bars the platform would be 11” off the rails, without its 8.5” or so.
My roof rack was hand made in Africa. It was made to carry Guides on top of the rack. I don't know how high it is but I like the height, probably at least 12"+.
It's full length of the roof. I may have trouble going under some low hanging parking lot signs but doubt I will ever be in a parking garage with it anyway. What other reason can you think of where the height would be a problem ? It sounds like it may be a problem with you.

Shamu

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo, New Mexico
First Name
John
Last Name
Markle
Member #

What amazes me about Jeep is why so many people buy them and then change out all the running gear to HD stuff. Doesn't Jeep make jeeps that are capable from the factory ? I can see the bigger tires within reason and it looks like you are, but all the other changes except the tranny shield worries me. My LRD2 has only one weak point and it really isn't weak but it is a factory flaw. The damn drive shaft U Joints are not greaseable. Easy fix but most LRD2 owners just buy a whole new shaft with greaseable U joints because they are to lazy to change out the u joints themselves. Anyway, looks like your doing the thinks that will make a tank out of your rig.
My previously stock 2004 TJ Rubicon was a very capable machine. The fun of turning wrenches (while questioning the lineage of the engineers at times...), problem solving, and improving your machine (so you can get stuck farther into the wilderness) is a driving factor, enjoyment. Lessons learned from previous trips are factored into component repair/improvement. The Wood’s drive shaft is a CV (double cardan) in response to the increased drivetrain angle due to the tummy tuck. The tummy tuck was from scraping rocks from previous overland trips. BLUF: fun.

Reactions: Wallygator

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Corrected the upward swoop that my roof rack originally had. It occurred to me that instead of redoing the foot with 3/4 instead of 1" aluminum tubing, I could just drill new holes for the side bracket. It now has an ever so slight downward bow, but way more level than it was before. I'm happy with it.
Roofracklevel.jpg
roofracklevel2.jpg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
My previously stock 2004 TJ Rubicon was a very capable machine. The fun of turning wrenches (while questioning the lineage of the engineers at times...), problem solving, and improving your machine (so you can get stuck farther into the wilderness) is a driving factor, enjoyment. Lessons learned from previous trips are factored into component repair/improvement. The Wood’s drive shaft is a CV (double cardan) in response to the increased drivetrain angle due to the tummy tuck. The tummy tuck was from scraping rocks from previous overland trips. BLUF: fun.
I use to build and race roundy round modified's dirt track race cars years ago. I always had a winning car. Cars I built for others had their share of wins too. IMO the reason was because of the cars strength that was built in ground up. One of my own cars lasted 8 years which is almost unheard of in the dirt track racing world. I only retired it because of rule changes made it obsolete. Durability and reliability is the key to any motor sport. Use the good parts, build it right and have fun.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

My roof rack was hand made in Africa. It was made to carry Guides on top of the rack. I don't know how high it is but I like the height, probably at least 12"+.
It's full length of the roof. I may have trouble going under some low hanging parking lot signs but doubt I will ever be in a parking garage with it anyway. What other reason can you think of where the height would be a problem ? It sounds like it may be a problem with you.
Well, there are several garages I like to park in frequently. Two of six at the hospital I work at won’t fit the discovery as it sits. . . Much less when I start putting racks and such on it.

Aside from that reducing the total frontal area of the vehicle helps keep the MPG up where I like it and many of the readily available traditional racks for discoveries just don’t work as well with today’s accessories. While I love the look of the camel trophy’s vintage lights and rack I would be completely unhappy with the performance compared to today’s modern LED lamps in both output, and current draw.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Picked up some road debris which resulted in a partial tread seperation on my front driver's side tire. Changed tire in doctors office parking lot then said screw it and ordered a whole new set of tires to spoon on next week. Until then im sans spare but still have tire repair gear and a pump onboard.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Corrected the upward swoop that my roof rack originally had. It occurred to me that instead of redoing the foot with 3/4 instead of 1" aluminum tubing, I could just drill new holes for the side bracket. It now has an ever so slight downward bow, but way more level than it was before. I'm happy with it.
View attachment 119149
View attachment 119150
Looks like a fix !
Well, there are several garages I like to park in frequently. Two of six at the hospital I work at won’t fit the discovery as it sits. . . Much less when I start putting racks and such on it.

Aside from that reducing the total frontal area of the vehicle helps keep the MPG up where I like it and many of the readily available traditional racks for discoveries just don’t work as well with today’s accessories. While I love the look of the camel trophy’s vintage lights and rack I would be completely unhappy with the performance compared to today’s modern LED lamps in both output, and current draw.
That all makes since. I don't have any drag with my rack but I am going to weld a deflector plate to the front (kinda like a bug deflector) for better aerodynamics and install a light bar.
I don't plan to put a bunch of things up there but it's a handy awning anchor, future shower PVC tube, place for tents, cots, low flat storage boxes. shovels, jacks and other things I don't want inside. When I go places on the hwy I'm in no big hurry so 60 mph suites me fine and of course speed is not what you do on the dirt roads anyway. I wonder why parking garages always have low entrances and other low places inside the building. As a building designer I would have taken into consideration trucks and vans with roof racks automatically. Wall height or ceiling height has little to do with the cost of construction on a building from my experience.

19mystic96

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pacifica, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
M
I gave my truck a quick bath with the new power washer and foam gun.

it could a touch up but I wanted to get the dirt off and use the new power washer/foam gun setup.

Attachments

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Had this Gordigear RTT on my 99’ 4Runner, then on my 95’ Jeep XJ, now this is how the RTT looks again back on the Runner. Will give a long term report as I will be leaving this on throughout the Winter. No noise, at 60+ with 35 MPH head wind! My stock x Two, Roof Rack, seems to be working great! Vance.
E517F6EF-AE44-4682-AEAD-15C822826B6B.jpegD3BAC2DE-7279-4DB2-AEE2-1DF7D7C4B948.jpeg96ABC22C-86C3-4348-A218-31C2A5D86F64.jpeg

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I moved my GMRS mic to the sunglasses holder. I used velcro for 1 trip to see if I liked it better than mounted on the dash to the left of the stereo and it was much easier to grab and replace while driving without taking my eyes off the road. I can also activate it and talk without removing it from the holder. The cable becomes invisible to me after awhile and for daily driving I just unplug the mic and toss it in the center console.827201918813.jpeg

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I moved my GMRS mic to the sunglasses holder. I used velcro for 1 trip to see if I liked it better than mounted on the dash to the left of the stereo and it was much easier to grab and replace while driving without taking my eyes off the road. I can also activate it and talk without removing it from the holder. The cable becomes invisible to me after awhile and for daily driving I just unplug the mic and toss it in the center console.View attachment 119394
Would be cool if you could put the whole Gaia map in your main screen too.

Reactions: Shamu and JCWages

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Busted some.tires off the 2 SE wheels I've managed to acquire after installing some drop anchors in my garage for my cheap ass tire changer.

Now to prep the wheels and paint them then scrounge up 2 more.

Shamu

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo, New Mexico
First Name
John
Last Name
Markle
Member #

Metalcloak upper control arms today. The axle bushings are still good! Also made new door straps out of 550 cord (after watching Jeep Gear & Gadgets on YouTube). The new upper arms came with hardware. This will enable repurposing one of the OEM 10.9 control arm bolts to replace the thinner grade 8 bolt in the track bar axle mount that is showing some play. Tackle that tomorrow.

48902BEF-5CC5-4E1E-B640-C6E993FB5171.jpeg695FCA6A-88D9-45AF-A2ED-E847AA0E4B4E.jpeg3AEE3D2B-1B5D-4F0D-8B0A-4FA40CF789BD.jpeg