Launch Member

Advocate II

Florida, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
DoubleA
Member #

bought tranny fluid, diff fluid, oil, and filters... yesterday I replaced some coolant lines and the air filter. Currently just trying to replace or fix as much of the last owners neglect as possible.
She gets new tires and an alignment tomorrow.
and just notices one of the rear door hinges is broken... so those will be the next big thing to fix. which means removing the rear door panel... which means fixing the lock too.... lol. fix one thing, break 3 more. and so it begins.

AA

Reactions: SSG ALLHANDS

SSG ALLHANDS

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Valley falls,ny
First Name
Raymond
Last Name
Tanner
Member #

Service Branch
Navy/ army 26yrs
NICE INSTRUMENT TO HAVE. Where did you get it and how much did you have to pay for it, if you don't mind my asking .
CBI off road,
NICE INSTRUMENT TO HAVE. Where did you get it and how much did you have to pay for it, if you don't mind my asking .
I got it at, tacomabeast.com, $39.00 plus shipping. ARB makes it.
bought tranny fluid, diff fluid, oil, and filters... yesterday I replaced some coolant lines and the air filter. Currently just trying to replace or fix as much of the last owners neglect as possible.
She gets new tires and an alignment tomorrow.
and just notices one of the rear door hinges is broken... so those will be the next big thing to fix. which means removing the rear door panel... which means fixing the lock too.... lol. fix one thing, break 3 more. and so it begins.

AA
What truck do you have

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Stuck a bored TB on it.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Not on a weekend but over the last 6 months. Rear shell, bed rug, Prinsu racks, CBI rock sliders, Nitro 4:88 gears, 23 Zero Peregine awning and finally the MLO suspension to carry all the extra. I very pleased with "little one" now. Next year I'll add skid plates and a 12V system to the bed.
View attachment 116477View attachment 116478View attachment 116479View attachment 116480
4.88 gears ??? Is it 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive. Unless you run some damn big tires your going to do good to drive 50 mph and drink more gas than a 18 wheeler. Why all the gear and you didn't even mention locking anything.

barnstormers

Rank V

Explorer I

Rupert Idaho
First Name
Barney
Last Name
Fife
Member #

4.88 gears ??? Is it 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive. Unless you run some damn big tires your going to do good to drive 50 mph and drink more gas than a 18 wheeler. Why all the gear and you didn't even mention locking anything.
actually the 4:88 gears solve a problem the 3rd gen Tacomas have. the 6 speed is a double overdrive and the tranny is constantly hunting gears and over reving. I'm running a 255/85R16(33's) and at 80MPH the RPMs are 2400. My mileage actually went up with the swap. / Its 4WD. and the gear is because I want it and to be comfortable camping the way we like. I can carry my Flycraft boat to more places with the rack .Not sure why you ask about locking? the shell has a lock, the rest bolts on and lastly i live in rural Idaho we don't have to worry to much about thieves out here. If you get caught stealing you usually get shot. Great deterent

BlackToySteve

Rank IV

Explorer I

Spokane Valley, WA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Morgan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7GYB - GMRS WROK981
My T100 3.slow came from the factory with 4.90s and 235/75s. Now has 5.29s for 33s.

And not everyone needs to run lockers. It’s application dependent. Though mine has a manual hubs and a front Lock-Right which does get used.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
actually the 4:88 gears solve a problem the 3rd gen Tacomas have. the 6 speed is a double overdrive and the tranny is constantly hunting gears and over reving. I'm running a 255/85R16(33's) and at 80MPH the RPMs are 2400. My mileage actually went up with the swap. / Its 4WD. and the gear is because I want it and to be comfortable camping the way we like. I can carry my Flycraft boat to more places with the rack .Not sure why you ask about locking? the shell has a lock, the rest bolts on and lastly i live in rural Idaho we don't have to worry to much about thieves out here. If you get caught stealing you usually get shot. Great deterent
LOL, the locker is for the differentials ! I can see your reasoning for the low gearing now. Now I know how f3500 trucks pass me on the Intersrate when I'm doing 80 mph.. I didn't know trucks had a double overdrive, I'm way behind on new technology. My old school tech wouldn't help you at all. I'm still out there running around with A three speed auto, 4.10 gears on 32" tires, turning 3500 rpm @ 55 mph, and no OD at all, and 10 mpg on gas.(wanna trade ?). To me 4.88 gears would be for quarter mile drag racers or 1/4 mile roundy round guys and rock crawlers in my rig. With my 4.10 gears in low range I can go anywhere or pull anything with ease.

Reactions: barnstormers

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
My T100 3.slow came from the factory with 4.90s and 235/75s. Now has 5.29s for 33s.

And not everyone needs to run lockers. It’s application dependent. Though mine has a manual hubs and a front Lock-Right which does get used.
I just wanted to know if he had lockers, not that he had to have them. I had no idea you guys are running around with such tall gearing in today's trucks. My land Rover Discovery only has 3.80 gears, and 4 speed tranny, it does just fine with 32" tires.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4wheelspulling

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
A lot of people are recommending 5:29 gears in the new Tacos. and its working especially with bigger tires. I went with the 4:88s because of the 80 MPH freeway speeds out here
That makes sense now that I know about your 6 speed tranny w/ double OD..