Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
The Wrangler is maybe the best off roader ever and definitely the worst highway cruiser. The trend is to build it for off roading but if it is already the best off roader, why not do a few off roading compromises to make it a better overlander. Look back at what we did 40 years ago and do it again.

These 7.50R16s are the BEST riding tires I've had on a Wrangler since the Wrangler was first built in 1987. And I've owned 5 since then. My first Jeep was an M38, it was also the first vehicle I bought,,,, in 1974.

Heres the inspiration...

My Uncle with his Government Issued Jeep in 1944.... when ALL Jeeps were Government Issued... somewhere in Europe.

View attachment 115346
In 1950 my friend bought one for $150 at an Army surplus store in Odessa Texas. The same place where an idiot shot up the place today, Killed 5 and wounded 21 or so others.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I explored a new trail today. It took WAY longer than I anticipated! I just got home. :)

I basically followed part of the route that a group here on OB did last week. I guess I expected it to be a lot tamer than it was. I have MANY new pinstripes and a nice long "badge of honor" on my rear wheel. Haha

I also managed to puncture my front tire somehow. I carry a plug kit so no drama there. On Poker Flat Trail I watched my sidewalls literally wrap around rocks and suffer no damage so I think the puncture came from one of the many sharp branches littering the narrow Chimney Rock Trail.

8120190750.jpeg81201901145.jpeg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Yokohama. 7.50R16s.
Super Steel 742S.

On a generic 16x6.5 rim with 5.25" back space.

I bought them thru Kal Tire.
View attachment 115381
I'm going to stay with my stock wheels, they are steel not mags, but if discount time has the Yokohamas in stock I'll sure give them a look. Thanks for the info

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Welding about 3/4 compete. View attachment 115464
You must be planning some fierce rock crawling. Looking good though ... you struck a good arc as far as I can see. will you go beefed drive shaft and beefier U-joints as well. Are you using stock or beefed axles ? One thing begets another. :- )

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

You must be planning some fierce rock crawling. Looking good though ... you struck a good arc as far as I can see. will you go beefed drive shaft and beefier U-joints as well. Are you using stock or beefed axles ? One thing begets another. :- )
Nothing expected more serious than say Lippincott or Mengel Pass, but with the aluminum housing on the Dana 44A and HP differentials, there is no middle ground for a little strengthening up of the shortcomings. So a bit of overkill, but now I will have no worries of overflexing or ventilating the aluminum housing. Heck, the owners manual even has a disclaimer to not jack the vehicle up by the pumpkin.... The axles and gears are beefy already, so I think I am in good shape. I am only going 3 or 4 inch lift with 32's so I expect to bang the undercarriage around now and then. The welding is being done with help from my friend on his industrial Miller, so I have to give him credit for the welding (Axle Machine, Hollister, CA). I'd say my welding skill is "hack" level at best for this kind of thing, as I deal mainly with laser and tig welding of smaller items at work.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Added some convenient 12v, usb charge plugs, switch for future interior lights and battery monitor. Haven’t wired it up yet, got lazy View attachment 115615View attachment 115616
Very neat. I wish I could figure out a place that I think is the most convenient and useful, interior and exterior. I don't much like electronics even though I have a degree in electronics from the Air Force as soon as I got out I got as far away as I could from it.
Where is Galt Ca. ?

Reactions: TJDon

TJDon

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Galt CA
First Name
Don
Last Name
A
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI6TUI
Very neat. I wish I could figure out a place that I think is the most convenient and useful, interior and exterior. I don't much like electronics even though I have a degree in electronics from the Air Force as soon as I got out I got as far away as I could from it.
Where is Galt Ca. ?
Thanks! Galt is near Sacramento.... but I like to tell everyone it’s near Lodi, because Johnny Cash is cool lol

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Thanks! Galt is near Sacramento.... but I like to tell everyone it’s near Lodi, because Johnny Cash is cool lol
In 1946 I lived in Sacramento, I loved it there . In July 1946 we moved 65 miles NE of Sacramento to a tiny village of Outingdale. Then it was very remote. I've always wanted to go back and see what it's like today. I know it is pretty well populated because I have scanned in on Google satellite. I did find the gorge in the river where I broke my neck as a kid in Our swimming hole but the rest was unrecognizable by air.

Reactions: JCWages and TJDon

SSG ALLHANDS

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Valley falls,ny
First Name
Raymond
Last Name
Tanner
Member #

Service Branch
Navy/ army 26yrs
Where is Galt Ca. ?
Thank you for your service, I my self retired medical ly, a 1 1/2 ago ,(26yrs SSG)

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Thank you for your service, I my self retired medical ly, a 1 1/2 ago ,(26yrs SSG)
Thank YOU, for YOUR service. I only served 18 months, then the AF Dumped all radio operators after the Korean conflict, as they called it then.

I loved the AF, but I didn't have a critical AFC after the conflict, so they dumped thousands of us into the civilian market. My training was wasted even for being a control tower operator. I didn't like electronics anyway, I had wanted A+E school but my test scores were to high. You may know their thinking on that sort of thing.

Reactions: SSG ALLHANDS