What Did You Do With Your Rig Today?

• HTML tutorial

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

Installed a modified Harbor Freight hitch cargo rack in the back of my X. Got the idea from a thread on thenewx.org. The short version, if you don't want to jump to the thread, is I cut off the hitch tube so it was flush with the cargo basket, cut some 3/4" square tubing to size and mounted them to the basket to act as legs, then attached brackets at the feet to lock into the tie down rails in the back of the X. Once everything's locked into place, it's very sturdy.

20170704_162032.jpg

20170704_162050.jpg

tinyOVERLANDER

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Member #

This isn't exactly what I did with my rig today but it is what got done to my rig over the last few days. I should NOW be ready to start the TAT (Trans-America Trail) about the 17th or 18th of this month.
upload_2017-7-5_21-17-54.png upload_2017-7-5_21-20-1.png upload_2017-7-5_21-20-22.png upload_2017-7-5_21-20-48.png
IG - tinyOVERLANDER

Last edited:

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Dude WTF, after all that work, what happened that isn't repairable? Im really wondering now... hopefully it is not too hard to discuss but considering you brought it up, I take it as it is not. I understand the broken leg reference, but Im lost on this brother.
It's had a misfire over the last three weeks that got worse and worse until it would not run. I've taken it to seven different mechanics, including a jeep dealership, and spent $3000. Still won't run. They replaced everything but the wiring harness, and those are discontinued. The rig has other problems, not the least of which is that it's an OBD1 car with 330,000 miles. I found a '98 5.9L with under 100,000 miles, and everything works :-) i'm pulling everything that's new off the '95 and putting it on the '98.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
New seat covers and back to the dealer for more better paint matching this time. My new JKU came with a small dent and it has been a cluster trying to get it fixed...
Went with Fia Wrangler saddle blanket seat covers - they reminded me of every old pickup I rode in as a kid. :)

IMG_4013.JPG

Reactions: Kelly

Delux2769

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lakewood, CO, USA
Member #

Dipped my rear 3rd windows to keep it cooler for the pups when driving long distances. A/C doesn't reach too well back there and I felt bad for them... Couldn't see out of them anyways, lol

Also did my ball joints and oil change.

Heading down to Medano Pass and into The Great Sand Dunes national park today.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Delux2769

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lakewood, CO, USA
Member #

This isn't exactly what I did with my rig today but it is what got done to my rig over the last few days. I should NOW be ready to start the TAT (Trans-America Trail) about the 17th or 18th of this month.
Love that "Discount"... congrats on making your rig feel new and happy again... you'll love the TAT. I did it a few years back on my motorcycle.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

FULLRUNNEROVERLANDING

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

NJ
Member #

5thGen4Runner2015;2742447 said:
With the help of [MENTION=131471]CF_Machete[/MENTION] (actually, he did all the work!) - grill amber marker lights and roof rack! Thanks brother! One day I'll have a Gobi, but the Rola will do for now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I installed Helwig 550 helper springs and a new set of Bilstein 4600 rear shocks to bolster up the rear of the Xterra until I lift it.

Simon Wolfe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sunnyvale, CA
First Name
Simon
Last Name
Wolfe
Member #

I did what every overlander should do, Preventive Maintenance! Topped up the oil in the transfer box and rear dif along with an over all inspection as well as fixed a couple of small things. Oliver is good to go!. I was going to replace the muffler but it got a bit too warm in the driveway. As you know only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the mid day sun.