Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Did some explorin' up one of the FSR's near my place. The map said the bridge was washed out and there's no access beyond, but for whatever reason I decided to just go see for myself anyways. Glad I did because I had a grand time and discovered some neat stuff:
IMG_20190121_142230543.jpg
Apparently there was a bridge here at one point. Seems impassible, but...
discretion.jpg
This is a water crossing to get around it. I'm about 95% sure the V can do it, but there were a few big rocks in there and the exit is quite steep. This is me thinking about doing it, and then thinking about the 20 foot drop to the left of this frame, and then thinking about how I was flying solo with no spotter and no other rig to help me if things went pear shaped. I decided discretion was the better part of valour and saved this for another time lol.
IMG_20190121_142502753.jpg

Found some old abandoned hobo/bush camps - the mystery box of mystery doesn't seem to have any hinges. I decided I didn't really want to know what was inside lol
IMG_20190121_134352045.jpg
IMG_20190121_141950154.jpg
IMG_20190121_142104926.jpg
IMG_20190121_163015425.jpg
All in all a good scouting mission. Ganbaru got very muddy today. I'll go back and do that water crossing sometime and expore the rest of the FSR. Maybe I'll do a trip report on that one.

Last edited:

KDC

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lawton, OK
Member #

Did some explorin' up one of the FSR's near my place. The map said the bridge was washed out and there's no access beyond, but for whatever reason I decided to just go see for myself anyways. Glad I did because I had a grand time and discovered some neat stuff:
View attachment 82945
View attachment 82946
This is a water crossing to get around it. I'm about 95% sure the V can do it, but there were a few big rocks in there and the exit is quite steep. This is me thinking about doing it, and then thinking about the 20 foot drop to the left of this frame, and then thinking about how I was flying solo with no spotter and no other rig to help me if things went pear shaped. I decided discretion was the better part of valour and saved this for another time lol.

Found some old abandoned hobo/bush camps - the mystery box of mystery doesn't seem to have any hinges. I decided I didn't really want to know what was inside lol
View attachment 82947
View attachment 82948
View attachment 82949
View attachment 82950
All in all a good scouting mission. Ganbaru got very muddy today. I'll go back and do that water crossing sometime and expore the rest of the FSR. Maybe I'll do a trip report on that one.
Awesome. Looks like a fun time

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Awesome. Looks like a fun time
Thanks :D It was pretty fun. I love discovering more of the mountain back country around here. I'm kind of kicking myself a little bit for not trying to the water crossing, but it's one of the basic foundational rules of off roading not to go solo when things get dicey, so really it was probably the right call from that perspective.

FUNHOGN (aka Maurice)

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Prescott Valley, Arizona
First Name
Maurice
Last Name
Guinouard
Member #

I finally got around to mounting a light bar that I purchased a while back onto the front roof rack mounts. It came with a cover that I sprayed flat black to match everything else on the truck. I really like that the lightbar practically disappears when the cover is on. Also installed four flood lights on the corners of the rear roof rack along with a Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform.0122190940.jpg 0122190942.jpg 0122190945.jpg 0122190944_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

View attachment 82945
View attachment 82946
View attachment 82953

View attachment 82947
View attachment 82948
View attachment 82949
View attachment 82950
I just watched the movie Leave No Trace last night.......these pics totally remind me of it!

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
View attachment 83296
We are getting closer to testing the diy solar/battery system for fridge and lights.
I have been thinking about setting up something similar in my truck bed. There is a guy named Steven Harris. I believe I heard that he has worked out some pretty good DIY vehicle Solar/Generator units for vehicles. Some that charge off of Solar panels and some that charge off of using 10%(or 10A) work load from the alternator. They are electronically separated from the vehicle's electrical system so that the batteries will not fight/drain each other.

He uses it to jump off either other vehicles, or his own. To store and then dump power into his home solar system. etc etc etc

I believe his website was solar1234.com or something like that.

Reactions: PatriotT4R

FUNHOGN (aka Maurice)

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Prescott Valley, Arizona
First Name
Maurice
Last Name
Guinouard
Member #

What kind of lights did you use for this?
After considering some lower prices lights, I wound up going with KC Cyclone 5w LED diffused accessory lights (PART #1351). The main reason being engine heat combined with 110° summer temperatures here in Arizona.