Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
Yes

Sent from my SM-G930T using OB Talk mobile app
Nice. The Rock Sliders were the first thing I did to my rig. Worth every penny in the protection they offer. Plus they make a great lift point for a Hi-Lift out on the trail. Can support both Wheels off the ground. ( Not that I would recommend doing that).

Sent from my "Smart Phone"

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

after I install my step bars, I'm going to look at away to make them more solid. Like a slider.. I think I can do it ok..

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
after I install my step bars, I'm going to look at away to make them more solid. Like a slider.. I think I can do it ok..
Not sure what kind of vehicle or step bars you have. When I bought my Xterra the steeler wouldn't install step bars on the Off Road model because they would not support the weight it the truck and could cause even more damage and jam the doors from opening.

The difference between side steps and rock sliders is something I had not even consider until I had that conversation.

Reactions: Scout

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Had a busy weekend. The main project was drilling the last two upper pinning holes for the ARB summit bar on my LR4. I’m guessing that most people skip this step since it seems damn near impossible. I had to but a special drill extension and even it barely reached. then i had to file it by hand to get it perfect.

I also installed a mantec upper load lugga, which is a metal shelf thats really nicely made. In typical land rover accessory tradition it retails for $400 US, since its some fancy import brand. I was at least lucky enough to score a used one for 300... ouch.

between that, the OE cargo barrier and my stainless frontrunner table, im pretty happy with this setup. cases go under the table, tent and bags and food case on the table, and now another level above that for gear.

here it is from under, without the cargo barrier. i was testing to see if my food container fits between the table and the new shelf. it does, and with room to open it.

Last edited:

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

Not sure what kind of vehicle or step bars you have. When I bought my Xterra the steeler wouldn't install step bars on the Off Road model because they would not support the weight it the truck and could cause even more damage and jam the doors from opening.

The difference between side steps and rock sliders is something I had not even consider until I had that conversation.

'16 Tundra dual cab.

Reactions: KD7WCD

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

Had a busy weekend. The main project was drilling the last two upper pinning holes for the ARB summit bar on my LR4. I’m guessing that most people skip this step since it seems damn near impossible. I had to but a special drill extension and even it barely reached. then i had to file it by hand to get it perfect.

I also installed a mantec upper load lugga, which is a metal shelf thats really nicely made. In typical land rover accessory tradition it retails for $400 US, since its some fancy import brand. I was at least lucky enough to score a used one for 300... ouch.

between that, the OE cargo barrier and my stainless frontrunner table, im pretty happy with this setup. cases go under the table, tent and bags and food case on the table, and now another level above that for gear.

here it is from under, without the cargo barrier. i was testing to see if my food container fits between the table and the new shelf. it does, and with room to open it.

Isn't it great being a contortionist from time to time.. The things we do.. and to have those "specialty" tools you'll use only once or twice.. Gotta have 'em.. That shelf system looks pretty cool. Is your food tote made for the shelf or is that coincidence? The "feet" on it fit pretty nicely..

ExpoMax

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Colorado Springs, CO
Member #

Dig the tire size and low stance... curious how well they tuck up into the wheel wells and what if any modifications were necessary to make that happen.

Jonah "Rustyburbin" #4084.
5 kids, a wife, dog and a
1970 K20 Suburban
Thanks! Tires tuck great. The front fenders where trimmed 2.5", and the rear was trimmed 1.5" to deal with the 40s.
20171110_220317813_iOS.jpg

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

Thanks! Tires tuck great. The front fenders where trimmed 2.5", and the rear was trimmed 1.5" to deal with the 40s.
View attachment 42647
That's bananas man! What gears are you running to turn those monsters? Chromoly axles? 1 ton axles? I'm intrigued. I'm thinking about going from 35's to 37's but I'm not sure my dana44 front axle will suffice.

1970 K20 Suburban

ExpoMax

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Colorado Springs, CO
Member #

That's bananas man! What gears are you running to turn those monsters? Chromoly axles? 1 ton axles? I'm intrigued. I'm thinking about going from 35's to 37's but I'm not sure my dana44 front axle will suffice.

1970 K20 Suburban
Haha. I have the stock fj80 axles underneath. Running Nitro 5.29s with arbs f/r. Front is a high pinion 8", and rear is a full float 9.5". Front Axle has been gusseted and trussed., as well as having chromoly axle shafts. Just crossed 8k miles with the entire setup, and has been flawless since the start.

I'm sure you could run 37s without to many issues. D44s are great if you build them up. I'd just do a similar thing to yours like I did with my front axle. Armor and axle shafts, and I'm sure it would be great. I know a lot of people run 37s with d44s.

Reactions: Rusty burbin

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

Haha. I have the stock fj80 axles underneath. Running Nitro 5.29s with arbs f/r. Front is a high pinion 8", and rear is a full float 9.5". Front Axle has been gusseted and trussed., as well as having chromoly axle shafts. Just crossed 8k miles with the entire setup, and has been flawless since the start.

I'm sure you could run 37s without to many issues. D44s are great if you build them up. I'd just do a similar thing to yours like I did with my front axle. Armor and axle shafts, and I'm sure it would be great. I know a lot of people run 37s with d44s.
All the people at the counter say "ahhh man, idk about 37's with a 44... look for a 60..." I'm like dang, I just got my Eaton E-locker and crossover / hysteer suff... I'm glad to hear that others are good with their 44's.

I will say this though, I'm in a suburban so they might not be wrong! Lol!

1970 K20 Suburban

Reactions: ExpoMax

yak51

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Isn't it great being a contortionist from time to time.. The things we do.. and to have those "specialty" tools you'll use only once or twice.. Gotta have 'em.. That shelf system looks pretty cool. Is your food tote made for the shelf or is that coincidence? The "feet" on it fit pretty nicely..
That is the front runner table, the shelf is above that. The food container is from the container store. it does fit on the table well. The handles on both ends are just very simple yet also hinge nicely so you can pop open one side and lift without the other side popping off. it also is long but still fits nicely.

my entire setup is just patients, measuring and luck. it fits together quite well. trying to bring the right gear, but no more than needed, and balance that with ease of access and whatnot takes a lot of effort.

Reactions: Scout

CatButt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Redondo Beach, Ca
First Name
Rem
Last Name
Wyatt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6HMC
Service Branch
USMC
Got the house battery out of the house...Genesis dual battery setup with G3 monitor.
It was actually a lot of work as there was already a dual battery on the Jeep when I bought it. However the house battery was in the cabin...even though it was a sealed battery I was just not a fan of it being inside with me. Plus the house battery needed replacing. Still have some details to sort out and finish up...but I really like results. 20171222_113105.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using OB Talk mobile app