What did you do to your rig today?....To lighten it?

• HTML tutorial

OtherOrb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Moses
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7QIF
We see the "what did you do to build up your rig today" threads a lot.

Here's a different question:
What did you do to lighten your rig?

Install smaller tires?
Remove that unused tool that's been rattling around in the back of the rig?

I know I should start by saying what I've done, but the truck is still stock and I haven't started pulling anything off yet.

Also, I'm looking for ideas. What is (or was) on your rig that you realized you don't need anymore?

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I’m running somewhat light and anything I take out I feel will make little difference weight-wise.

Future removal items will include 3 kid car seats and all their ‘accessories’. Probably not for another 3-4 years lol.

Then everything under the rear seats. I can’t fold up the rear bench seats because of the kids car seats lol.

Reactions: OtherOrb

OtherOrb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Moses
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7QIF
I’m running somewhat light and anything I take out I feel will make little difference weight-wise.

Future removal items will include 3 kid car seats and all their ‘accessories’. Probably not for another 3-4 years lol.

Then everything under the rear seats. I can’t fold up the rear bench seats because of the kids car seats lol.
I remember getting rid of the car seat and then the booster. What a freeing, lightening feeling that was!

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I will be removing the tank from my Puma compressor. That is more about hard-mounting it in a convenient place than losing weight. Still, the ~15lb weight reduction isn't nothing!

That said, I have always tried to remain pretty conscious about the effects of additional gear on aerodynamics and suspension / powertrain loads!

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I washed it! LOL

I took both back seats out, but that was more for room than weight.

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
I just removed the 4 jacks on my pop up camper. They are about 40 pounds each !
Going to Colorado soon for almost a month and it seems like we’re packing everything including the kitchen sink!

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Remove all gear before a trip if time allows. Only put back in mission specific equipment. No chain saw needed in FL for example.

The problem is: Then I don't know where everything is at. So I make a list of gear and location, and stuff it in my center console. With also a simple gear checklist.

No heavy tables. Use a picnic table or your lap.
Paper plates and bowels. No dish washing, burn them. Dinnerware is remarkably heavy.
One backpack per person. Just like hiking.

Camper cabinets should be nearly empty, not loaded full like most glampers.