What are Overland Bound Challenge Coins?

• HTML tutorial

TruckNorris

Rank 0

Traveler I

Texas
About to change my rig for overland capability. Is there a community in San Antonio to link up with? Would love to train and become an ambassador! Put my Communication Degree to work haha

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Dave Decker

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Paradise Hills, NM
Member #

Great idea! I love challenge coins and what they can represent. I look forward to earning every one that you put out :-) Can't wait to see the designs for each of the tracks!

Eugene_RUS

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Russia, Krasnodar city
Member #

In addition to your comments I assume that a recommendation from another member is required. My nearest member is probably 100 miles from me. It's not the end of the world but no one will see me doing my bit
My nearest member is probably 2000 kilometers from me. I'm in Krasnodar he in Saint-Petersburg, Russia )))

Eugene_RUS

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Russia, Krasnodar city
Member #

now there's a region I'd like to go to
Wellcome my friend! :grinning:
If someone is going by car to Russia, you can ask me. Honestly answer all your questions.
Welcome to Russia!
P.S. My region Krasnodar region. It is 100 kilometers from the Black Sea.
This picture make in February 2017 on Black Sea. One man its my friend from Krasnodar and @dk.1109 from Seoul, South Korea
View attachment 36484

Attachments

Last edited:

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
While I understand the sentiment, these coins aren't free to make or ship. Maybe a list could be put together for a coin donation setup at the store, where members can purchase coins for deployed members. Something like that. We need to keep the costs for members low and voluntary.

Thanks for your service!
M,

What a great idea. I'm sure there are many OB members that will donate for our deployed. You can count me in. ...Bill

SSRuger

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

North Las Vegas, NV, USA
Member #

*It has also been alluded to, if a Ambassador Challenge Coin is presented by a member at an Overland Bound gathering, and tapped on a hard surface, you have 10 seconds to show your coin, or the drink is on you, whether it be beer or Sarsaparilla!
Does it have to be an ambassador coin or can it be anychallenge coin? I always carry my favorite unit's coin in my wallet, from when I was stationed in South Korea.

Reactions: Michael Mayfarth

Michael Mayfarth

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lakebay, WA
Member #

Does it have to be an ambassador coin or can it be anychallenge coin? I always carry my favorite unit's coin in my wallet, from when I was stationed in South Korea.
I have not served, but my Grandfather did, on the Thresher Sub. I have a coin that was given to my family at the 50th anniversary and unveiling of the memorial in Boston. Still one of my favorite coins that I carry every day.

uss

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Odessa TX
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Ockert
Member #

This is a great idea. I got my member coin in the mail the other day. Thanks.
Maybe even a coin for Geocaching that could be tracked.
I have done a little bit of Geocaching, but not enough to be good at it.

Have some members build and place OB based caches around the country.

Todd

Reactions: Kingsize and Road

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

This is a great idea. I got my member coin in the mail the other day. Thanks.
Maybe even a coin for Geocaching that could be tracked.
I have done a little bit of Geocaching, but not enough to be good at it.

Have some members build and place OB based caches around the country.

Todd
I suggested a while back with regards to an OB Trackable Geocoin but I don't think there was any interest.
Have you seen the Geocaching thread within the OB forum?

uss

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Odessa TX
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Ockert
Member #

I suggested a while back with regards to an OB Trackable Geocoin but I don't think there was any interest.
Have you seen the Geocaching thread within the OB forum?
Not yet.
I will have to search for it.

Todd

Robert Jordan

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Grass Valley, CA
Member #

I myself am an Army Vet. I understand that meaning and emotion that comes with the gift and honor of a challenge coin. I carry my B4 ASI coin in my pocket daily. I have others that I have been given that sit in a display case at home but this one is very special to me. I love this idea and will definitely be utilizing this wonderful sentiment.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Hard Rock

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Oh my I did not expect this! I received my Base Camp Flag today but the Ambassador Coin with it is over the top! Your reaction when I offered a bit of support to a couple going through what must have been a couple of very rough days was all the thanks I needed. Knowing I might have made you feel better was priceless. I just wish I could have actually done something.

I should tell you a little story. This is the second Coin I have been gifted with. And your Ambassador Coin now resides with my 2002 Air War College Coin. A good friend of mine represented the United States Coast Guard in that most important War College year. He presented me with his Let's Roll Coin at the graduation ceremony. I feel that coin embodies the spirit of Todd Beamer. You may know that Beamer was part of a group that stopped hijacked Flight 93 from reaching its target, some believe the target was the White House. (For anyone too young to remember Beamer and his "Let's Roll" google it.)

My wife and I stayed after the ceremony to socialize with members from all of our military branches that day. Many of those men and women received orders that day. War. Sobering.

Corrie and Michael, Thanks for everything. Your Coin is in good company. And I have two good luck coins now. View attachment 9002View attachment 9003
Awesome - not much can be said to say how both sad and proud that day was for Americans and the many heroes there were who will never be forgotten.

kbryan1022

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Kendall
Last Name
Bryan
Member #

Ha! I think so! We are still defining (community will help) the requirements for other coins, but that's a good candidate! I updated the post to show which tracks/coins are ready! Also, you can read the requirements in "Profile Page" -> "Badges".
I myself would like to earn those awesome coins. Do not no where to start or how to start. To new at this.

Lunch Box

Rank IV

Advocate II

A word...
Back in the day (before challenge coins became a 'thing'), a coin was passed via a handshake. The person doing the coining would palm the coin in their right hand and pass the coin while shaking hands. It was the equivalent of saying "I'd go to war alongside you".
The important part was that the handshake. The coin was only evidence that the handshake had taken place.
From that point on, the coinholder had to keep the coin in their possession at ALL times. Sometimes, one would have to get pretty inventive to ensure they were ready for a coincheck with no notice. In a bar, etc., being coinchecked and not being able to produce the coin resulted in the offender owing other coinholders the next round of drinks. On post, the offender would be subjected to some form of hideous (and usually hilarious) retribution.
Also, not all coins are created equal. There are 'trump' coins out there. A few years ago, my nephew and I were out for drinks with a friend of mine. My nephew didn't know him. My nephew slapped his 82nd Abn coin on the bar in an attempt to roast me for a free drink. My buddy pulled out a coin given to him by the Secretary of Defense. Trumped. Sort of like dropping four of a kind when your opponent is sitting on a royal flush.
I've been retired for almost ten years now, and my coin is in my pocket right now. In short, if you want to pass out coins, that's fine, but don't forget the important part - the handshake.
My .02