What are Overland Bound Challenge Coins? | Page 3 | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

What are Overland Bound Challenge Coins?

Discussion in 'FAQ: Things You Should Know!' started by Michael, Sep 21, 2016.

Hi Guest, Become a Member to gain access to the Member Forums, Member Map, Member Calendar of Events, and Rally Point overland trip planner! Click this link "Learn More" for more information!
  1. Slicer777

Slicer777 Rank I

Member #:

Map
    This is a great idea.

2. TruckNorris

TruckNorris Rank 0

Map
    About to change my rig for overland capability. Is there a community in San Antonio to link up with? Would love to train and become an ambassador! Put my Communication Degree to work haha

3. geekyadam

geekyadam Rank IV

Member #:

Map
    Check out the "Overland Bound by Region" forums for other members that may be nearby. Here is a direct link to the Southwest (AZ, NM, TX, OK) region: https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/forums/southwest-az-nm-tx-ok.80/

JFWIII and TruckNorris like this.
  4. Dave Decker

Dave Decker Rank V
    Member Supporter

Member #:

Map
    Great idea! I love challenge coins and what they can represent. I look forward to earning every one that you put out :-) Can't wait to see the designs for each of the tracks!

5. Eugene_RUS

Eugene_RUS Rank I

Member #:

Map
    My nearest member is probably 2000 kilometers from me. I'm in Krasnodar he in Saint-Petersburg, Russia )))

6. Defender 90 Keith

Member #:

Map
    now there's a region I'd like to go to

Eugene_RUS likes this.
  7. Eugene_RUS

Eugene_RUS Rank I

Member #:

Map
    #47 Eugene_RUS, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    Wellcome my friend! :grinning:
    If someone is going by car to Russia, you can ask me. Honestly answer all your questions.
    Welcome to Russia!
    P.S. My region Krasnodar region. It is 100 kilometers from the Black Sea.
    This picture make in February 2017 on Black Sea. One man its my friend from Krasnodar and @dk.1109 from Seoul, South Korea
    View attachment 36484

Attached Files:

8. HappyOurOverlanding

Member #:

Ham Callsign:
    KI7RAM
    Map
    M,

What a great idea. I'm sure there are many OB members that will donate for our deployed. You can count me in. ...Bill

9. SSRuger

SSRuger Rank I

Member #:

Map
    Does it have to be an ambassador coin or can it be anychallenge coin? I always carry my favorite unit's coin in my wallet, from when I was stationed in South Korea.

Michael Mayfarth likes this.
  10. Michael Mayfarth

Member #:

Map
    I have not served, but my Grandfather did, on the Thresher Sub. I have a coin that was given to my family at the 50th anniversary and unveiling of the memorial in Boston. Still one of my favorite coins that I carry every day.

KerrClan74, Laughing Otter and Steve like this.
  11. Navy-Jeeper

Navy-Jeeper Rank III

Member #:

Map
    This is a great idea. I got my member coin in the mail the other day. Thanks.
    Maybe even a coin for Geocaching that could be tracked.
    I have done a little bit of Geocaching, but not enough to be good at it.

Have some members build and place OB based caches around the country.

Todd

Kingsize and Road like this.
  12. Defender 90 Keith

Member #:

Map
    I suggested a while back with regards to an OB Trackable Geocoin but I don't think there was any interest.
    Have you seen the Geocaching thread within the OB forum?

13. Navy-Jeeper

Navy-Jeeper Rank III

Member #:

Map
    Not yet.
    I will have to search for it.

Todd

14. Joe Baker

Joe Baker Rank I

Member #:

Map
    I’m in. As a 23 year Retired Veteran myself. I’m all about supporting our troops. Let’s do it.

HappyOurOverlanding likes this.
  15. Robert Jordan

Robert Jordan Rank V
    Benefactor Member

Member #:

Map
    I myself am an Army Vet. I understand that meaning and emotion that comes with the gift and honor of a challenge coin. I carry my B4 ASI coin in my pocket daily. I have others that I have been given that sit in a display case at home but this one is very special to me. I love this idea and will definitely be utilizing this wonderful sentiment.

16. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Rank I

Member #:

Map
    Awesome - not much can be said to say how both sad and proud that day was for Americans and the many heroes there were who will never be forgotten.

17. Jim SoG

Jim SoG Rank V

Member #:

Map
    Love it! as a DAV guy, know all about these type of coins.....

18. kbryan1022

kbryan1022 Rank I

Member #:

Map
    I myself would like to earn those awesome coins. Do not no where to start or how to start. To new at this.

19. Lunch Box

Lunch Box Rank I

Map
    A word...
    Back in the day (before challenge coins became a 'thing'), a coin was passed via a handshake. The person doing the coining would palm the coin in their right hand and pass the coin while shaking hands. It was the equivalent of saying "I'd go to war alongside you".
    The important part was that the handshake. The coin was only evidence that the handshake had taken place.
    From that point on, the coinholder had to keep the coin in their possession at ALL times. Sometimes, one would have to get pretty inventive to ensure they were ready for a coincheck with no notice. In a bar, etc., being coinchecked and not being able to produce the coin resulted in the offender owing other coinholders the next round of drinks. On post, the offender would be subjected to some form of hideous (and usually hilarious) retribution.
    Also, not all coins are created equal. There are 'trump' coins out there. A few years ago, my nephew and I were out for drinks with a friend of mine. My nephew didn't know him. My nephew slapped his 82nd Abn coin on the bar in an attempt to roast me for a free drink. My buddy pulled out a coin given to him by the Secretary of Defense. Trumped. Sort of like dropping four of a kind when your opponent is sitting on a royal flush.
    I've been retired for almost ten years now, and my coin is in my pocket right now. In short, if you want to pass out coins, that's fine, but don't forget the important part - the handshake.
    My .02

dub_stackz, Poniard, ZRex and 5 others like this.
  20. TacoVenturer87

Member #:

Map
    Sounds great, I'm in!