Dysan

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Cope
Moved to Midland this past summer from Hawaii and just finally getting settled. Not sure how long will be here since it seems every few years we move for my wife’s job, but can’t wait to explore the area while I am here.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Moved to Midland this past summer from Hawaii and just finally getting settled. Not sure how long will be here since it seems every few years we move for my wife’s job, but can’t wait to explore the area while I am here.
Hello Dysan, welcome aboard. Boy what a change of climate and environmental change your having to go through. From the tropics to a vast wasteland of desert is quite a change. I think from what I've seen on this forum there seems to be quite a few OB members in your area. Hope you can get hooked up to a good group there and hit the back road trails east and south east of you. Big Bend not far away
Either.
Merry Christmas or Happy Holiday to you and the wife !

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
It was a shock once it got colder, think the coldest it was on Kauai when I was there was 55 degrees. However I do like it that it isn’t so humid here.
Yeah humidity and 110* (on a cool summer day) temps aren't very compatible !

Welding Goats

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Ronn
Last Name
Reeger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXB227
Welcome to the forum and to West Texas.

Interestingly, my wife and I spent Christmas on the Big Island. Had a great time. Wonderful people, climate and terrain.

Reactions: Krazy Klimber

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

I'm going to be in El Paso April 12th and head to Big Bend. I don't want to take highways. Any suggestions for a place to camp of go wheeling in-between?

Uncle_LeRoy

Rank 0

Contributor I

Odessa, TX, USA
First Name
RILEY
Last Name
WILLIAMS
Member #

Hello Dysan, welcome aboard. Boy what a change of climate and environmental change your having to go through. From the tropics to a vast wasteland of desert is quite a change. I think from what I've seen on this forum there seems to be quite a few OB members in your area. Hope you can get hooked up to a good group there and hit the back road trails east and south east of you. Big Bend not far away
Either.
Merry Christmas or Happy Holiday to you and the wife !
Im new to OB. I'm in Odessa too.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I'm going to be in El Paso April 12th and head to Big Bend. I don't want to take highways. Any suggestions for a place to camp of go wheeling in-between?
Google maps of Texas show many trails that follow the Rio Grande from El Paso to Big Bend. Just follow the river to Indian Hot Springs from Tornillo SE of El Paso about 30 miles.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Any specific wild camping areas I should shoot for?
In and around Indian hot springs area about 100 miles SE of El Paso. Many mountain trails all around that area. All of it ranch land but farther SE I think is Federal land. Start your journey at Tornillo on hwy 20 se and drive to McNary. Just past McNary turn right on FR 192, also called Indian Hot springs road later. It will be paved for a shot distance till you come to Esperanza then turns into dirt a road. You can stay on that road for over 100 miles with many trail roads veering off both to the south and north. Eagle peak should interest you along the way. Eventually you will come out on Hwy 90 near Valentine. All along the Hwy between Valentine and Alpine there are hundreds of trail roads through the mountains. Then at Marfa you will turn south towards Big bend and that road has hundreds of trail roads into the Cathedral Mountains, Chinati Peak, and Nine point mesa ranch road off hwy 67 out of Marfa and crosses over to Hwy 118 out of Alpine and kinda follows the Cedar Creek along the way. The whole area has many trail roads off the roads I mentioned. When you get to the Marfa Alpine area you will be able to just pick a road and follow. It is all wide open wilderness land. I always chose the mountain trails and just wander till I find a place I like. I should yell you it has been many years since I was last there. I'm mostly familial with the first 200 miles from El Paso to Valentine.

Reactions: DrivingTacoLoco