US West Weekend at Ocotillo Wells and Anza Borrego, January 19th-20th (Weather Permitting) - 01/19/2019

• HTML tutorial

JandAOffRoad

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Yorba Linda, CA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Petsche
Member #

For those interested in joining us the weekend of January 19th-20th, we'll be taking a trip out to Ocotillo Wells and Anza Borrego area for some overnight camping , wheeling and exploring.

This is open to all skill levels, all rig types and for basically anybody who has free time to get away for either the day, or stay over night if that works into your schedule.

The initial group who planned this trip are in the Orange County area, so we'll be meeting at 6AM, Saturday, January 19th at the Starbukcs parking lot off Green River and 91 Frwy. in the center North of the freeway. Breakfast at Baron's Diner (same parking lot) and head out at 7AM. If you don't want to have breakfast, meetup at 7AM.

From there we will caravan out to the Ocotillo Wells area off Highway 86 and S-22, where we will head over to setup camp near the 4X4 Training Center. If you happen to live in the Riverside County area and would like to go, we can coordinate a 2nd Rally Point somewhere off the 215 Frwy/10 Frwy area, and then head out.

Once we are setup at base camp, we will have a safety briefing, gear check and route planning. Plan on eating lunch while out wheeling and not back at camp.

As of this post there are at least 4-6 of us who are planning on staying over night and wheeling Saturday and Sunday before heading home sometime Sunday around 3PM. Again, you can join us for camping or make this a day trip for Saturday if you want, or even meetup with us on Sunday morning if that works out better for your schedule.

Gear Needed:
Food/Water/Drinks
Personal Camping Gear/Clothes (if staying over night)
Firewood (if staying over night)
2 Way Radio (if you have)
Recovery Gear (Ideal)

Phone service is spotty throughout Ocotillo Wells and Anza Borrego, so the plan is to use 2 way radios for some communication, and plan on it being a bit chilly at night, so dress appropriately.

For any questions about this trip, don't hesitate to contact me on my cell at 949-554-9110 (Jeff)

View Rally Point
Last edited:

JandAOffRoad

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Yorba Linda, CA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Petsche
Member #

I'm in La Quinta, I can meet you at the HWY 86/S-22 turn off on Saturday morning
Sal,

Sounds great and will be happy to have you join in. Are you joining us for the day or camping?

Feel free to shoot me a text at 949-554-9110, so I have your number and can text you our ETA to 86/S-22 location.

Jeff

Sal Sandoval

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

La Quinta, CA
First Name
Sal
Last Name
Sandoval
Member #

I'm in La Quinta, I can meet you at the HWY 86/S-22 turn off on Saturday morning
Sal,

Sounds great and will be happy to have you join in. Are you joining us for the day or camping?

Feel free to shoot me a text at 949-554-9110, so I have your number and can text you our ETA to 86/S-22 location.

Jeff
Planning on camping

Reactions: JandAOffRoad

Ricardo A.

Rank 0

Traveler I

Orange, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ricki tikki tavi
Hello everyone, I am new to the community and just getting into the swing of things. I am interested in doing both the day trail and the overnight camp. Probably a naive question, but is a RTT allowed where we camp? Wife and I were gifted one but not sure what restrictions are at camps...

Reactions: T-88

JandAOffRoad

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Yorba Linda, CA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Petsche
Member #

Hello everyone, I am new to the community and just getting into the swing of things. I am interested in doing both the day trail and the overnight camp. Probably a naive question, but is a RTT allowed where we camp? Wife and I were gifted one but not sure what restrictions are at camps...
Hello Ricardo

Welcome to the community and glad to hear that you are interested in joining us at Ocotillo on the 19th and 20th.

Ocotillo Wells and Anza Borrego are both open area desert terrain with a wide variety of camping options. There are no real designated spots with regards to campsite numbers and there are a several camping rigs that I've personally seen from ground tent, RTT, trailers, motor homes to sleeping in the back of a pickup truck.

This area is a combination of street legal 4x4 vehicles, motorcycles, quads, side rails, etc.

Are you going to be meeting the group in Orange County and caravan out to the campsite area OR will you be meeting us at Ocotillo Wells?

Jeff

Gryf

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vallejo, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Weber
Member #

The wife and I will likely be driving from Las Vegas to LA next week to pick up some gear. Our timing might just coincide with this trip.

I didn't see the event in the rally point. Do you have one and I missed it?

Reactions: Jacob Silberfarb

JandAOffRoad

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Yorba Linda, CA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Petsche
Member #

The wife and I will likely be driving from Las Vegas to LA next week to pick up some gear. Our timing might just coincide with this trip.

I didn't see the event in the rally point. Do you have one and I missed it?
Sounds great GRYF...

You should be in the event regarding this trip, which is how you are commenting..>At least that's what I think is happening here.

Feel free to connect with me directly via phone/text at 949-554-9110 to discuss.

T-88

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

CORONA
First Name
VINCENT
Last Name
T-88
Member #

For those interested in joining us the weekend of January 19th-20th, we'll be taking a trip out to Ocotillo Wells and Anza Borrego area for some overnight camping , wheeling and exploring.

This is open to all skill levels, all rig types and for basically anybody who has free time to get away for either the day, or stay over night if that works into your schedule.

The initial group who planned this trip are in the Orange County area, so we'll be meeting at 6AM, Saturday, January 19th at the Starbukcs off Green River and 91 Frwy. in the center North of the freeway. From there we will caravan out to the Ocotillo Wells area off Highway 86 and S-22, where we will head over to setup camp near the 4X4 Training Center. If you happen to live in the Riverside County area and would like to go, we can coordinate a 2nd Rally Point somewhere off the 215 Frwy/10 Frwy area, and then head out.

Once we are setup at base camp, we will have a safety briefing, gear check and route planning. Plan on eating lunch while out wheeling and not back at camp.

As of this post there are at least 4-6 of us who are planning on staying over night and wheeling Saturday and Sunday before heading home sometime Sunday around 3PM. Again, you can join us for camping or make this a day trip for Saturday if you want, or even meetup with us on Sunday morning if that works out better for your schedule.

Gear Needed:
Food/Water/Drinks
Personal Camping Gear/Clothes (if staying over night)
Firewood (if staying over night)
2 Way Radio (if you have)
Recovery Gear (Ideal)

Phone service is spotty throughout Ocotillo Wells and Anza Borrego, so the plan is to use 2 way radios for some communication, and plan on it being a bit chilly at night, so dress appropriately.

For any questions about this trip, don't hesitate to contact me on my cell at 949-554-9110 (Jeff)

T-88

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

CORONA
First Name
VINCENT
Last Name
T-88
Member #

Hello, my name is Vincent would like to go for the weekend.... I am right up Green River! Looking forward new members![emoji111]️

Reactions: JandAOffRoad

JandAOffRoad

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Yorba Linda, CA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Petsche
Member #

Hello, my name is Vincent would like to go for the weekend.... I am right up Green River! Looking forward new members![emoji111]️
Great. Meet us at the Starbucks/Barons Diner parking lot around 6AM if you want to have breakfast with us. If no breakfast, we’ll head out around 7AM from Baron’s Diner.

JandAOffRoad

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Yorba Linda, CA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Petsche
Member #

Vincent, if you are still planning on joining us, can you please RSVP to the event, so we have a better head count. Thank you.

JandAOffRoad

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Yorba Linda, CA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Petsche
Member #

Hi Ricardo..

Just checking in to see if you are planning on joining us this weekend for the Ocotillo Wells/Anza Borrego trip?

If so, can you please RSVP IF you haven't already done so.

RECAP: If you are joining us, we will be having breakfast at the meetup location at 6AM and head out around 7AM, so if you don't want to have breakfast, then a 7AM meetup is fine.

Reactions: Jacob Silberfarb

JandAOffRoad

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Yorba Linda, CA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Petsche
Member #

Is it cool if I cross post this with our San Diego regional page?
Sure go for it. The more the merrier.

If anybody joins from SD area, they can meet us at the staging area (4x4 Training Center at Ocotillo Wells) OR at the gas station at Highway 86 and S-22.