San Antonio
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Barker
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I agree complete. I haven't had a real issue with quality on their hand tools. I have had a few issues with power tools

TrailHawkZ71

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Howard-Dale
Member #

I agree complete. I haven't had a real issue with quality on their hand tools. I have had a few issues with power tools
Same, some of the CP impact guns could be better. the expensive CP one is identical to the cheaper matco one. Never had an issue with any of the big wrenches or adjustable wrenches that i have from there.

Reactions: Travis Barker

Travis Barker

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Antonio
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Barker
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Same, some of the CP impact guns could be better. the expensive CP one is identical to the cheaper matco one. Never had an issue with any of the big wrenches or adjustable wrenches that i have from there.
Never had any of the air tools have had a couple of their cordless tools. Most of them have been replaced with a more reliable brand. Their batteries dead in a short time. I have a angle grind that I haven't had an issues with. I guess that's where they save you the money is on the batteries.

TrailHawkZ71

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Howard-Dale
Member #

For cordless, you can't beat Snap-On. But on the flip side, i'm not going to carry my $400 Snap-On cordless impact onto the trail with me. But with an on-board air compressor, air would be the way to go in my opinion. And for how often someone would actually have to use the tool, the harbor freight one just can't be beat. It's not like one would be thrashing on the tool every day.

Travis Barker

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Antonio
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Barker
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I agree, with on board air. That's the way to go and your right about the harbor freight air tools. I would think as long as you kept them oiled good, they should handle it pretty well. And I definitely agree with you on the cordless snap on. Wouldn't been hauling those around. I run a craftsman cordless drive and impact.

TrailHawkZ71

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Howard-Dale
Member #

My vehicle tool kit is a smorgasbord of Craftsman, harbor freight, Silver Eagle (cheap Matco), and Genius tools. Which reminds me, I need to build one for my Patriot... my current kit resides in my 2500.... -sigh- where's my wallet....

E

expeditionnorth

If I loose or break a tool on the trail, id rather loose or break a 10 dollar harbor freight wrench than a 100 dollar matco or snap-on one
its nice to save $, however
That sounds good in theory until one breaks while under force & lets say your elbow goes slamming into the frame
I've had it happen helping a friend years back

sorry, but they cost more for a reason

TrailHawkZ71

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Howard-Dale
Member #

its nice to save $, however
That sounds good in theory until one breaks while under force & lets say your elbow goes slamming into the frame
I've had it happen helping a friend years back

sorry, but they cost more for a reason
Being a diesel mechanic, I am well aware of why the good stuff costs more. Id rather have a busted knuckle than break or lose an expensive tool

Reactions: expeditionnorth

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

I carry a electric 3/8 snappy mini impact and a 1/2 electric Milwaukee with the needed impact sockets. Bring my matco or gear wrench ratcheting wrenches and few other things.
With what is spent in rigs and other gadgets I don't see why you would skimp out on tools? Don't get me wrong, I have some HB impact sockets the I have had for about 15 years. But the amount of slop/swing on the wrenches and sockets seems to make it worth spending a Lil more coin on getting a better set of tools. But getting a cheap set of tools is better the rolling with out any I suppose .

Honestly depending on what you drive and what you actually can fix for a trail repair and actually know what you doing your tool list shouldn't be very long .

Travis Barker

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Antonio
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Barker
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I carry a electric 3/8 snappy mini impact and a 1/2 electric Milwaukee with the needed impact sockets. Bring my matco or gear wrench ratcheting wrenches and few other things.
With what is spent in rigs and other gadgets I don't see why you would skimp out on tools? Don't get me wrong, I have some HB impact sockets the I have had for about 15 years. But the amount of slop/swing on the wrenches and sockets seems to make it worth spending a Lil more coin on getting a better set of tools. But getting a cheap set of tools is better the rolling with out any I suppose .

Honestly depending on what you drive and what you actually can fix for a trail repair and actually know what you doing your tool list shouldn't be very long .
I guess its really personal preference. But that goes with almost everything.

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I have found that tools are a very subjective thing. People have different methodologies for choosing the tools they do. I picked what I felt was mid grade stuff that didn't break the bank, and it seems to be working fine for my limited use.

Fjryan

Rank 0

Contributor I

Ohio
If budget is a concern and time is not you can usually get inexpensive mechanics tools at pawn shops. They might be mismatched and won't have a nifty case but it'll let you do a field repair. And that beats walking out any day.

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I have an ACDelco 120-ish piece "mechanics" set that I've kept in my daily driver since '03. I've used it more on other peoples stuff than I have on mine. But that's taught me to always have it, as so many people don't own any tools, even at home. I also keep a 18" breaker bar for the stuck bits. its a molded plastic case, maybe 2"x20"x16"

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I have a tool bag with two custom leather craft tool rolls. I used to carry a crescent tool set in a blow molded case but after the latches broke after 6 years of hard work. So I took all the tools and put them in the clc rolls and inside the tool bag. Works pretty well.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
I have a tool bag with two custom leather craft tool rolls. I used to carry a crescent tool set in a blow molded case but after the latches broke after 6 years of hard work. So I took all the tools and put them in the clc rolls and inside the tool bag. Works pretty well.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
I've been wanting to ditch my Crescent hard case for a while. I'm down to one latch. I love tool rolls but seam to get hung up when it comes to the sockets. I really hate having a socket set all jumbled up and disorganized.

Any of the tool roll guys have any suggestions?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using OB Talk mobile app

Don Meredith

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Greenville, SC
Member #

I keep mine in a small bag I keep a LOT of tools in there to cover most general wrenching. The sockets are on Ernst twist lock rails that I cut down to the size of the socket sets I'm carrying. I have a long breaker bar that has a ratcheting function that I use for wheel lugs. I carry a few common sizes so I can lend a hand to people struggling on the side of the road.

bag.JPG

tools.JPG

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
I keep mine in a small bag I keep a LOT of tools in there to cover most general wrenching. The sockets are on Ernst twist lock rails that I cut down to the size of the socket sets I'm carrying. I have a long breaker bar that has a ratcheting function that I use for wheel lugs. I carry a few common sizes so I can lend a hand to people struggling on the side of the road.

View attachment 11877

View attachment 11878
The Ernst is a good lead. Thanks!

Sent from my GT-N8013 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Don Meredith

Anders0nic

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member
Supporter

Pathfinder I

Benicia, CA
First Name
Anderson
Last Name
Carlisle
Member #

All this organization makes me look at my junkyard tool bag and feel shame. I must up the spacial efficiency game. This will take some thought and time. I have many spare tool bags. However, I don't have any multi boxes that can be spared. I think another trip to harbor freight is in order.

Inmused

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Victoria, Australia
Member #

Gearing up for an 11 day trip to the Victorian High Country (Australia). This kit is specific to my vehicle, camping gear and skill level.

This does not include emergency supplies, recovery kit, first aid or fire suppression.

Socket Set:
I consider a 3/8 socket set as intermediate in size. Weight is an issue for me so I leave my 1/4 and 1/2 sets at home.
  • 7-22mm sockets and 3/8 ratchet wrench
  • 1/4 driver and bit set
  • adaptors and extensions including flexi-extension
  • 1/2 250mm breaker bar

Tool Roll:
The quietest way to travel with tools. I find the roll also looks after the tools.
  • Victorinox multitool
  • Long and short cross and flat drivers (No.2)
  • Topek mini driver set (not pictured. Bike tools make great lightweight Overlanding tools)
  • Half round file
  • 250mm Knipex Plier Wrench (awesome tool. Replaces channel locks and adjustable wrench)
  • Box knife
  • Inspection lamp
  • Long long-nose pliers
  • 8-22mm ratchet combination wrenches
  • Combination pliers
  • Vice-grips (2 sizes)
  • Telescopic grabber
  • Circuit tester
  • Sissors

Repair kit:
  • Sewing kit for clothing, gear and canvas
  • Camping gear repair kit (patches, glue, pole repair etc)
  • Silicon repair tape
  • Electrical tape
  • Cloth Tape (3m)
  • UHB 3M Tape
  • Bailing wire
  • Epoxy Putty
  • Fuses
  • Cable ties
  • Lighter
  • Torch
  • Spare Batteries
  • Tarp clips
  • Straps
  • Paracord
  • Tray of carabiners, ties, buckles
  • JB Weld (Not pictured)
  • WD40 and Break cleaner(Not pictured)
  • Grease in a small sealed container (Not pictured)
  • Hose clamps - assorted (Not pictured)
  • Fuel filter (Not pictured)
  • Assorted nuts, bolts and washers (Not pictured)
  • AA/AAA/D spare batteries (Not pictured)

Also in the truck:
ARB tyre repair kit
LiOn Jumper battery
Compressor
Hi Lift Jack