Vehicle Tools (Merged thread)

• HTML tutorial

Advocate II

After reading @ShawnR's post about sockets I figured a good thread to start would be one on what tools at a minimum should someone carry in their rig. This would be a good place for newer people to come and get an idea on what to carry.

Right now I carry:
Screwdrivers
Wire stripper/crimper
wire terminals
fuses
and grab a all in one socket set.

I know I need more or to at least change out some of my tools, so what does everyone else carry or atleast recommend as a minimum???

gandrimp

Rank III

Advocate II

2 weeks ago there were 3 rigs in our group. 1 is a very seasoned "adventurer", 1 was a younger just starting to find his direction guy, and then there was me, I know my way around and have done lots of things related to overlanding but never really did overlanding itself. That all to say, ADD A SHOVEL to your list. We had 2 winches, tow ropes galore. Enough Tree savers to save a small forest. No shovel, oh but could we have used 1.
I normally carry one, maybe 2 just for farm duties.:rage:

I also had the only jack.

Add a hammer to your list also.

Good thread

Dunco

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Warwick Queensland Autralia
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK4FABX
Great Idea i work on the principle of Its better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it! so my kit is

full set of metric spanners
full set of imperial spanners
full 1/2" socket set
full 1/4" socket set
Spare 1/2" impact sockets
2 x vice grips
2x files
pliers
needle nose pliers
wire cutters
screwdrivers
c clip pliers
2 x shifters
heat shrink
duct tape
cloath tape
assorted terminals
Assorted hose clamps
assorted wires
WD 40
small guage wire
assorted cable ties
Spare fuses
Multimeter
hammer

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
Great Idea i work on the principle of Its better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it! so my kit is

full set of metric spanners
full set of imperial spanners
full 1/2" socket set
full 1/4" socket set
Spare 1/2" impact sockets
2 x vice grips
2x files
pliers
needle nose pliers
wire cutters
screwdrivers
c clip pliers
2 x shifters
heat shrink
duct tape
cloath tape
assorted terminals
Assorted hose clamps
assorted wires
WD 40
small guage wire
assorted cable ties
Spare fuses
Multimeter
hammer
That sounds a lot like my stuff except both metric and SAE sockets, Allen's and add 3/8 and 1/4 torx bits, a 20 ton hydraulic jack, a scissor jack, a ARB X-jack, inverter to run 100 watt soldering iron and chargers, butane soldering iron, 1/4, 3/8 and two 1/2 inch torque wrenches, 3/4 in socket, ratchet and breaker bar set, portable air compressor and first aid kit.

I really need to cut back cause this stuff weighs a ton, but I have used all of it on my or some others vehicle. Paranoia will destroy-ya... :sunglasses:

Reactions: Wildland Outdoors

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

WOW you guys carry alot and I'm sure it got built up over time. For someone just getting started what would be the minimum you would recommend?
A 1/4 drive metric socket set, with 6 extra 10mm sockets, 3/8 drive deep metric socket set, a 4 way, Big fricken hammer, 2 pair of vise grips, screwdrivers, std and Phillips, wire cutters, battery terminal cleaner, funnel, spare belts, hoses, fluids. etc Hi lift jack, snatch straps, tree saver, portable air compressor, recovery gear like shackles and straps. 5 gal water jugs, fuel cans, a spare tire, radios, flashlights, and most of all, your Overland Bound Velcro Member patch....I know im missing lots....
WD40, PB blaster, glass cleaner, microfiber towels, solar charger, (opt), @Dunco has lots of good stuff on his list too.

This don't include camp cookware, chairs, tents, coats, sleeping bags, pads, and the usual accoutraments...

Dunco

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Warwick Queensland Autralia
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK4FABX
WOW you guys carry alot and I'm sure it got built up over time. For someone just getting started what would be the minimum you would recommend?
Yeh in all honesty i could cut mine down a fair bit, for a minimum what you have is great i would add a set of spanners and a selection of cable/zipp ties (greatest thing ever) a set of vice grips and a hammer

Reactions: WJ - Firefly

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

Always found what tools to carry tricky. I've added to what was a basic socket set over the years as I've needed tools for jobs but I know there is some I don't have. I'm not an experienced mechanic so I probably don't know what I might need in an emergency. On the other hand I do have experience with electrics so tend to carry tools and spares that relate to this. Probably because if it was something I messed with recently, it will be the next thing to break!
I did spend a while searching for a kit I could buy but gave up on that. This was the only one I found at the time.
http://www.motorsport-tools.com/facom-folding-tool-bag-case-and-tool-kit-set-2049m.html

2049.m.jpg

Will be great for me to get ideas here too. Thanks

vicali

Rank IV

Advocate II

There is a jeep list floating around that's pretty thorough.

I carry metric wrenches, a small set of sockets, screwdrivers, couple pairs of vice clips, some bailing wire, and a handful of zip ties.. Everything fits nicely into an old camera case I had sitting around;

Reactions: SLO Rob

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I tell beginners that if you don't know what it is used for, or how to fix what you are bringing it for, don't bring it. You may end up doing more damage to what you are "fixing" if you have no idea how to fix it. Learn how to use the tool, what it is good for and what you will fix with it and then add it to your set. Otherwise, its extra weight.

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Man, one of these days I'll haul my whole tool setup out of the truck and get some pics. I have 4 large toolboxes and a giant socket kit. I have a full kit of 20v dewalt reciprocating saw, 1/2 impact driver, and hammer drill. I have full sets of metric and SAE Allen keys in both ball end and flat. I have full sets of torx drivers in various configurations, I keep a ton of 12v electrical repair stuff on board...let's see, what else...

Reactions: Dunco

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

A few things to consider. Room and weight.
As overlanders and backwoods explorer's these are important to consider IMO. Tool wight adds up quickly and takes up room.
Being that I'm in a jku, room is scarce and GVWR isn't really high either so I don't bring my whole tool box in tow.

Now I'm pretty inexperienced and really have to fight of the" well just in case" tool grab. I look at where I will be going and activity that will be involved and what are the known issues to fail under stressed conditions or impacts.

Now I'm pretty familiar with my jeep and carry the tool in a bag that will fix must things will break on it. But it's pretty specific to my jeep. Can I pull the trans,no but if I need to pull a unit bearing off I can. Also when getting a hammer you don't need a bfh but a good 3 pound mini sledge (it's what I call it anyway) will do the job

I bring some ratcheting wrenches with box end on one side . Cordless impacts with wobbly sockets and extensions. Scotch locks and shrink wrap. 3 1/2 pound mini sledge. A few chizzels . A few torz bits .Granted these are what I use these for work and are pretty expensive. But I can do alot to my jeep with what I got inside of a small bag. Once I add more gadgets and or more more advanced trails my gear may have to increase to meet the needs.

Skijeeper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Black Diamond, WA
Member #

add a shovel, a small hatched and a fold up saw.
along with sockets and vice grips and a good set of wire cutters/stripper, elec tape, duct tape, zip ties and a rachet strap or two :)

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I keep a basic set of tools, including a BFH, and the universal tools (wire ties, 550 cord, and 100mph tape). These are gleaned from experience, I absolutely don't carry something for every possible contingency. I can change plugs, fluids, a fuel filter or even pump. I can do basic work to suspension and drive train, even as far as say tie rod ends, u-joints or brakes. My goal with these is to get me back to civilization, then I will partake of the infrastructure. I have no intention of making major repairs trailside, but I also have no intention of being stranded because of fouled plugs, or water in somewhere it doesn't belong. I keep multi taskers like vice grips and such to cover multiple fronts when at all possible, but if a thing needs a specific tool, I don't try to make something else work.

I've changed spark plugs on the beach at SPI, changed fuel filter roadside in West Texas, and changed a fuel pump in the middle of no where Louisiana ( I will point out the fuel pump was on my old Land Rover Discovery II, I've never had a mechanical part failure with the Toyota.)

Recently I realized I missed some basics, like a Hi-Lift, and an axe and shovel, those are now permanent parts of the kit.

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

I carry a standard metric mechanics kit plus some SST (special service tools) required for common breakdowns related to my vehicle, FZJ80. An OBII scan tool as well as a multimeter and electrical problem solving assortment of stuff including vital replacement relays again specific to my vehicle.

As others have said if you don't know how to fix it, then all the tools in the world won't matter. Start with a basic craftsman mechanics set in the 150+\- piece range. Then add items for your vehicle and remove those you don't need. Sears offers all metric or all standard sets too if you look.

Personally I consider Craftsman (or equivalent) the lowest level of quality I'll carry in the truck. Nothing worse than a cheap tool failing in the field when you need it most.

Bluepoint has some good general service sets that are in pretty compact blown plastic cases. But now your talking entry level pro tool pricing.

My best advice is to drive well within your vehicles means on an extended overland trip. A breakdown could be much more serious than a Saturday spent on a local trail within walking distance from help.