Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
Something else to consider for those who haven't been out here, depending on your direction of travel to the Pinnacles area:

We came in to the pinnacles from the north off Trona Rd/HWY 178 which is the main entrance where the big signs are (near Poison Canyon). The road was Ok, but very "washboardie" and thus somewhat slow going. We came out from the pinnacles heading south, which is a little bit longer drive mileage wise, but averaged 35-40 mph on a much smoother, well maintained dirt road.

The main dirt road that runs through the park from north to south is Pinnacle Rd. We took Pinnacle road south (across the railroad tracks) to Randsburg Wash Rd., turned right (west'ish) on Randsburg Wash Rd. and went to Trona Rd. (south of where it joins HWY 178). We turned left (south'ish) onto Trona Rd., which is a paved road and took it south past the Wagon Wheel OHV Staging Area (has bathrooms) to where it intersects with HWY 395 between Johannesburg & Red Mountain. This was also a more scenic route.

I haven't driven it, so I can't speak to the conditions, but it also looks like you could pick up Pinnacle Rd. (which is also called Teagle Wash Rd. for a short section) right off Trona Rd., north of HWY 395, near the Spangler & Beavers campsites, for an even shorter drive in.

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
This SUCKS..... In a lot of ways for a lot of people!!!

Better to be a part of the solution than a part of the problem though. I can tell you first hand, my wife, who is a nurse for Kaiser and has a level of specialty/expertise in this area is adamant about people staying home and staying sequestered as much as possible. The ONLY way they are gonna get a handle on this is if we all stay away from each other for a couple of weeks. One thing a lot of people don't seem to consider is even if you go out alone and you're "self contained", if something goes wrong (IE: you or someone in your group gets sick or injured, you have a mechanical issue or get stuck, Etc.) you're very likely to need help in some way from someone, creating a potential exposure situation. You're also putting a potential strain on an already strained emergency response system.

Stay home & stay safe...

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

I’m guessing the April trip to the Alabama Hills isn’t going to happen. Hopefully we’ll be able to the run in May. I’m getting cabin fever!

Canyon_Cliff

Rank VI

Influencer I

Victorville, California
First Name
Clifford
Last Name
Bennett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YHU
I’m guessing the April trip to the Alabama Hills isn’t going to happen. Hopefully we’ll be able to the run in May. I’m getting cabin fever!
Yeah, so am I. Haven't been out for four weeks. From what I have been hearing they aren't letting people camp at Alabama Hills lately.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I hear you. Reading how different states have closed areas, at first I thought they were over reacting. I read an article about Oregon. When people were ordered to stay home, the state parks, campgrounds and tourist destinations saw 3-4 times the number of people they would normally see. One area all the parking lots were full. People were parking along the road and "bushwhacking" their way to the trail. Another showed people crowding on a footbridge to take pictures of a waterfall. Huge groups of people crowding beaches. The park service, forest service and BLM are running skeleton crews. Besides the damage there were concerns over things like public restrooms.
Yesterday I went to Lowes. A guy without a mask was yelling at the employees over him not needing one and they have no right to keep him from the store.

I hope when the stay home rule lifts everyone feeling trapped like us don't flood the camping areas right away.

Reactions: DannyR53

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Here's what I did at work today.

IMG_2579.JPG
Two Toyota gears sets. 4.88, Factory E-Locker for a buddy.

Now back to being bored.

Reactions: Zopiloto

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
I've been trying hard to self quarantine as much as possible. Although I did get out for a couple of weeks to help a volunteer group make face shields for healthcare workers and I've gotten out on my bike a few times for a bit of exercise, I'm still getting a little stir crazy... I don't think I've ever eaten, drank, laid on the couch, or watched so much TV in my life :grimacing:

What ever & when ever our first trip is, I'm all in!!!

Reactions: Mojavewanderer

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

The May trip was supposed to be Overland Expo West, but that was moved to July. Any ideas on a new May trip? Things should be back to almost normal by then, I can’t imagine the stay at home order still being in place then.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Don't tell anyone this but, I may be heading out to the Mojave for a few days. Were setting up virtual classrooms and if i'm going to get out, it needs to be before this rolls out.

My objective will be, sit and relax. I have a few campsites in mind. One in the New Yorks and another off the Mojave road a piece. I just know, when this thing ends all the outdoor places are gonna be crowded.