Under Pressure - onboard air compressors and set ups

• HTML tutorial

Pippinized

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

I'll be planning on getting an air compressor for my rig in the 4th quarter of 2016. Anyone have suggestions on what to look for, or experiences with the products or install?

Rig- 2010 Xterra
So it's time to start doing some research on set up design and specifics. After a minute or three of using my Google-fu skills, I have the idea to mount the compressor inside the SUV trunk 'hidden' area. (Photo was a random one I found on pintrest)

I would also like to mount air duct lines under the body, this way I can connect air lines in front and rear as needed for use.
I haven't looked into mounting the air tank, but I presume I can find somewhere under the body I can find a safe place to tuck it away.

Any experiences or suggestions for the gang?

Attachments

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
What is the experience with airflow requirements for cooling the head of the compressor when mounted in the "basement"?

I see things getting hot.

:openmouth:

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

That "basement" is not a good place to mount any compressor, unless you plan to unload your gear and open the hatch everytime you want to run it.

These compressors are designed to intake a sizable volume of air so you want as much open space around it. This is why the mounting location is key. You need a place that won't get covered by gear, is bolted in place, and yet easily accessible. Ideally, the intake/surrounding air would be as cool as possible, so avoid the engine bay whenever possible. Or remember to raise the hood when you run the compressor.

If you're dead set on that location, you'll need to run some sort of intake line that is suitable for the needs of the compressor. If you want to run line to the front and rear (assuming from the location in the picture), an air intake line should be pretty straight forward. But, there's still lack of ventilation and it seems like another location may be your best bet.

If there's no other mounting location, consider getting a mobile kit. Most of the bigger manufacturers these days sell one that comes with the compressor, cables, hose, gauge, etc. all in a kit that stores pretty well. They cost a bit more, but might be cheaper in the end if there's no viable permanent mounting point.

thejonchacon

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sacramento, California, United States
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Chacon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QNC
Service Branch
US Air Force
I recently went through the same decision and research. I looked at building and on board air system with a 2-5 gallon tank and it just didn't seem convenient enough. So I went with the portable dual arb with the 1 gallon storage since I know myself and will eventually get a different vehicle. I don't like to have many permanent mods that are not easily reversible.

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I run a portable ViAir 400P compressor. Been very happy with it! It has been through 3 different rigs and performed flawlessly from 29.5in tires up to 33's.

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
I run a portable ViAir 400P compressor. Been very happy with it! It has been through 3 different rigs and performed flawlessly from 29.5in tires up to 33's.
Awesome. I am planning on the 400C (non kit model) with a 3.7 gallon tank. Glad to hear this is the pump to use.

Reactions: Overland-Indiana

Maxterra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West Haven, Utah
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Horting
Member #

On my 06' xterra, with a rear tire carrier bumper, I had a ton of space up under the back, so I installed my Viair Ultra 200psi compressor up in front of the bumper, as high as I could mount the compressor, and a 2.5 gal tank in front of that. Compressor intake line & filter is behind the LH tail light, up out of the water.
No problems with this over 2 years of use now. Air chuck in the rear bumper for the air hose. Line ran to the front for the front locker and air horn. Might add a second air chuck up there too at some point.

OldH1

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Saint Simons Island GA
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Mohr
Member #

Service Branch
Former LEO
I would look into using Nitrogen vs. Compressor. The Power Tank (powertank.com) will handle large tires and on the larger tank can run air wrenches while still having plenty remaining to air up.

OldH1

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Saint Simons Island GA
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Mohr
Member #

Service Branch
Former LEO
The Source CO2 system is the same as the Power Tank but half the price...

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
On my 06' xterra, with a rear tire carrier bumper, I had a ton of space up under the back, so I installed my Viair Ultra 200psi compressor up in front of the bumper, as high as I could mount the compressor, and a 2.5 gal tank in front of that. Compressor intake line & filter is behind the LH tail light, up out of the water.
No problems with this over 2 years of use now. Air chuck in the rear bumper for the air hose. Line ran to the front for the front locker and air horn. Might add a second air chuck up there too at some point.

Yeeeeeezzz

My air tank is integrated into my rear bumper. The pump will mount there too.

J

Jonovision

I have an Air Zenith OB2 under the hood and a 2 gal tank in the back integrated into my drawers. the compressor was a little on the spendy side, but it is fast, rated to 200 psi, and rebuildable

next to my old 275c for scale

Reactions: Pippinized
E

expeditionnorth

I have the MF1050 & last weekend after 5 years of very little use I think its on its last leg
I say get an ARB if you have the funds

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
If you haven't happened upon the Puma compressor, search around for that. It's a larger unit, one version includes a 1.5 gal tank. I'm transitioning from a smittybilt compressor to the Puma. Hope to have a write-up soon. Pretty big install change.

Reactions: shoredreamer

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
I kept it pretty simple since I just need air to fill tires.

I just hard wired my Smittybilt compressor and mounted it in the rear on a LCP mount. The Smitty has worked surprisingly well and kept up with my buddies' ARB duals at trails end, I just hated digging it out and popping the hood to connect it. I used Anderson SB50 connectors in the back and ran 4awg all the way to the battery fused with a 100A Maxifuse. I can always take it out if need be or upgrade it very easily with just a few mounting bolts and new SB50 disconnect. I tend to build pretty low impact with flexibility in mind I've noticed. image.jpeg image.jpeg

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I recently went through the same decision and research. I looked at building and on board air system with a 2-5 gallon tank and it just didn't seem convenient enough. So I went with the portable dual arb with the 1 gallon storage since I know myself and will eventually get a different vehicle. I don't like to have many permanent mods that are not easily reversible.
Hi @chacon.jmc ! I am going to publish an article about air compressors and CO2 Air written by @Disco2Guy (with credit of course!) and I LOVE this picture. Do you mind if I use it for the cover?

M

Reactions: Jose

thejonchacon

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sacramento, California, United States
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Chacon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QNC
Service Branch
US Air Force
Hi @chacon.jmc ! I am going to publish an article about air compressors and CO2 Air written by @Disco2Guy (with credit of course!) and I LOVE this picture. Do you mind if I use it for the cover?

M

I don't mind at all, feel free to use the picture.

Reactions: Jose and Michael