Launch Member

Advocate II

London, United Kingdom
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Savage
Member #

If the style needs to follow the existing US regions then that would exclude a map of the region. I like the idea of a typical scenery with a flower/plant to cover the individual countries.

Reactions: Bjorn

Tom Burnet

Rank VI
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rhyl, Denbighshire, Wales, United Kingdom
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Burnet
Member #

Here were some of the ideas I did back in April - this was before finding that the UK would be one region not smaller ones down to country (England, Scotland, Wales, N. Ireland)
View attachment 38837 View attachment 38838 View attachment 38839
But get the drift ;) lol

EDIT
Remember at present UK would only have 1 patch as a entire region for now (post further down with details why)
These are pretty cool I like this idea.
Wales just have Snowdonia, that would be amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Scarab

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hastings - England
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Barrett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M6ZZS
This is my rather childlike attempt at a representation of something along the lines of what's been suggested so far although at this scale the river and nice rolling green lane that follow the valley are better imagined ;)

obuki.png

Reactions: Talisker

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

This is my rather childlike attempt at a representation of something along the lines of what's been suggested so far although at this scale the river and nice rolling green lane that follow the valley are better imagined ;)

View attachment 38917
Certainly another fine and interesting concept,
The flower icons remind me of the guardian/ambassador coin or OB boot camp logo,

The UK is its own region, Ireland doesn't come under that banner (that I'm aware of but I guess OB HQ can further clarify)

Keep them coming! [emoji4]

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

I'l try borrow the wife' laptop this evening and give it another go.

Today so far I've been tidying up after our marathon Dartmoor Rubbish Clean up
Sounds busy!
Post up some pics when you have a chance and tag it with #trailguardian and @ Michael with it, grab a guardian coin [emoji3]

Sent from my VKY-L09 using OB Talk mobile app

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

Sounds busy!
Post up some pics when you have a chance and tag it with #trailguardian and @ Michael with it, grab a guardian coin [emoji3]

I'e never posted pictures of these events. This was our third. Two days at various places on Dartmoor collecting rubbish. Clearing pathways and fixing the odd fence or two

Reactions: Kevigizmo

F4T XJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

London, United Kingdom
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Savage
Member #

I'm a little confused but that's nothing normal. Is there meant to be a general theme for the badges as all of the other badges (appreciate they are all US right now) don't have maps or flags. I would suggest if there is a general theme that needs to be followed then what is it? I have to say from my own view I quite like the no map no flag route that shows a wild landscape that reflects the region.

Reactions: Bjorn

Bjorn

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Somerset. United Kingdom
First Name
Bjorn
Last Name
Whistance
Member #

View attachment 38917
Yeah this is kind of the idea I had in my head. I think this could be tweaked and we could get a good patch from this. Maybe a landscape with more prominent features so when it’s embroidered it’s not all green. Really good though!

Talisker

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

The Lake District, UK
Member #

I'm probably an old hippy at heart but for me Overlanding should not be about borders or flags but scenary and culture.
To me, this feels like the right approach.

When you look at the existing patches they manage to represent significant geographical areas without referencing administrative or political boundaries. It makes sense really when you consider that Overlanding is what has brought us together.

Could we combine mountains, forests and coastline (variants thereof) to represent the whole UK? I think someone suggested this already.

An image like this might be useful. I'll try to get this into PS tomorrow night, unless somebody manages it before me.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using OB Talk mobile app

Talisker

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

The Lake District, UK
Member #

Unfortunately I haven't managed to get to my PC tonight but I did have a bash on MS Paint :dizzy: at work.

I think I could work up a more stylised version ( greater contrast between the mountains/lake/coast/forest/fields) with a different colour palette but it's a start.

Looking at the other regional patches...hmmm... I could try to simplify the landscape, so it's more a generic representation of the UK landscape not a posterised image, and change the colour and background of the circumferential text. Any thoughts? Happy to keep updating it.

OBUK1.png

Think I've probably pinched this idea from @Scarab only without the national flowers...

The regional patches remind me of those old railway advertisements, using blocks of colours to capture a landscape.

honister-crag-lake-district-cumbria.-vintage-lms-travel-poster-by-algernon-talmage-416-p.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarab and nickburt

Scarab

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hastings - England
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Barrett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M6ZZS
I think those old railway advertisement style is exactly what we need. Great work Talisker.

Bjorn

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Somerset. United Kingdom
First Name
Bjorn
Last Name
Whistance
Member #

Unfortunately I haven't managed to get to my PC tonight but I did have a bash on MS Paint :dizzy: at work.

I think I could work up a more stylised version ( greater contrast between the mountains/lake/coast/forest/fields) with a different colour palette but it's a start.

Looking at the other regional patches...hmmm... I could try to simplify the landscape, so it's more a generic representation of the UK landscape not a posterised image, and change the colour and background of the circumferential text. Any thoughts? Happy to keep updating it.

View attachment 39052

Think I've probably pinched this idea from @Scarab only without the national flowers...

The regional patches remind me of those old railway advertisements, using blocks of colours to capture a landscape.

View attachment 39056
Awesome patch design:) Really love this one.

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

Great work so far everyone!

Once we have all agreed the image subject the next step in the process is the image idea will get submitted to OB HQ who can then based on our feedback get a design drawn up as close to what we have to fit with the rest of the patch scheme which is in place across the board [emoji4]

Reactions: Steve
Status
Not open for further replies.