• HTML tutorial

Michael Rostad

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Santa Clarita, CA
Member #

Hey Guys,

New member and I have yet to do any serious trips. I have one planned for a month and a half starting mid-July and I know I need gear. I'm going to be camping out of my '16 Subaru Impreza 5-door with a custom-built bed that takes up most trunk space, however I have a roof basket and will likely have an additional storage thing (not very big) that will attach to a trailer hitch. Essentially, I am curious as to the bare necessities required with minimal storage. Thanks in advance guys, I look forward to hearing what you guys have going on.

Michael

Edit: I'm not too familiar with the site, still getting used to it. Just found the overland checklist. Anything not on there would be appreciated though!

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Welcome aboard.

Sounds like you have sleeping worked out, next is cooking I'd say, what do you want to do there? Bare minimum or are you one to spend time cooking.

After that, there's things like communications if you go with anyone else, something like a CB radio or Ham or FRS, etc.
Then, depending on your level of trail bravery, recovery gear might come next according to your vehicle.
Lots of choices and ways to spend your money!

Set your priorities according to your needs and where you go, troll this forum a lot and see what others in your situation are doing.
This is a great place to start out, lots of free advice and gear info.

Good luck, Santa Clarita is not too far north of me, hope to cross paths some time.

Dan.

Michael Rostad

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Santa Clarita, CA
Member #

Fast response! Appreciate that. Cooking will likely be somewhere in between, but closer to bare minimum. I'm not planning to get any kind of refrigeration due to space constraints.

Likely to be traveling solo in terms of number of vehicles. Because of that, I will likely not be pushing my vehicle on the trails. But I'll definitely browse more as time permits.

Hopefully!

JusCampin

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Roseville, California
Member #

A set of traction boards might come in handy while exploring the trails. There are some folding ones that don't take up as much storage space.