Towing capacity - What impact do common Overland Mods have?

• HTML tutorial

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Hi all,

After reading here and looking at various overland mods that are done on rigs. I have seen some mention about mods like Larger tires, bumpers, and lifts changing the Towing capacity of the rig. I see lots of vague warnings but no explanations.

I'm trying to understand what these changes are and how they effect towing capacity.

IE:
If I Switch from 31" tires to 33" tires what effect does that have on towing?
If I put on a 2.5-3" lift what effect does that have on towing? Does brand/type of lift matter? ToyTech vs Icon...

Do any of you have insight on how these mods effect towing? either capacity or handling etc...

Thanks in advance.
Boort

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Any increase to your towing vehicle (people, food, modifications, water, etc.) is to be subtracted from your CGVW. So if you have a 5000# truck, a 2000# trailer, and an 8000# CGVW, you only have 1000 pounds available for people, food, mods, etc.

Or another way to look at it; If you have a 5000# vehicle with an 8000# CGVW, and you add #2000 pounds of modifications, you'd better find a really light trailer!

Last edited:

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Steve

So this is just a simple weight calculation? I guess I was thinking that it could be some kind of a multiplier based on changes in geometry.
IE:
Higher receiver vs lower causing a weight shift that kills handling.
Bigger tires causing more strain on the drive-train being worse for towing and cutting capacity by XX%.​

Boort

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Sorry, I was only considering the weight part of it. Certainly changes in geometry will have some effect. How large or small, I don't know.