Thoughts on trip to Moab?

• HTML tutorial

killallninjas

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Atlanta, GA
Member #

I'll be heading to Moab for a few days in November for some trails, views, and camping. I'm looking for opinions on the best trails and camp spots with the best views. I'm thinking nothing more than moderately rated trails, as we're doing this trip in just the one rig. The dogs will be with us, so I know that limits some of the areas. Honestly, if the dogs weren't with us, the White Rim Trail would probably check most the boxes and we could call it a trip. Maybe some other day.

I'm running a 2005 4Runner V8 sport 4wd. 3" Iron Man lift, BFG AT KO2 275/70/17. Bud Built sliders. I'm not concerned with scratching or denting my stock bumpers. I'd consider getting skids before the trip if it meant I could get to some nicer spots, but not planning to as of now. I've run many of the trails in the Telluride/Ouray including Black Bear and Imogene with no issue, but I've never been to Moab or run any similar trails.

If you had 2-3 days, which trails would you hit? Any awesome camp sites with great views you can recommend?

Thanks!

Last edited:

buckwilk

Rank IV

Advocate II

yuma, az
The views around Moab are awsome. I most always camp on BLM land. The area is big and finding great sites is simple. Look here for ideas in terms of campgrounds http://www.discovermoab.com/campgrounds_blm.htm. 5 or 6 miles south of town and north of the hiway is some beautiful dispersed BLM area. The campgrounds in the NP are reserved and generally booked, maybe not in November. The campground in Arches is outstanding if you don't mind people. As for trails, go into the visitors center in town. They have maps and more info than you can absorb. While in there ask them how to get to Milts Stop and Eat drive in. Best burgers in Moab!

aearles

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

USA
Check out:

Shafer Trail out to Musselman arch and back via shafer to Potash. This is part of white rim but dogs are allowed for this portion. You can get up to the park via Long Canyon to make the drive more interesting than highway 313, although that's a cool drive too.

Tusher tunnel and nearby mill canyon dinosaur fossils. Not much of a trail but tusher tunnel is so cool!

Gemini Bridges & Bull Canyon, bumpy drive but easy trail, very cool area and you can combine the bridges (top) and the canyon (bottom) in a ~1/2 day trip.

I made some trail suggestions here too:
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/index.php?threads/Moab-memorial-day.7195/

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

aearles

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

USA
Check out:

Shafer Trail out to Musselman arch and back via shafer to Potash. This is part of white rim but dogs are allowed for this portion. You can get up to the park via Long Canyon to make the drive more interesting than highway 313, although that's a cool drive too.

Tusher tunnel and nearby mill canyon dinosaur fossils. Not much of a trail but tusher tunnel is so cool!

Gemini Bridges & Bull Canyon, bumpy drive but easy trail, very cool area and you can combine the bridges (top) and the canyon (bottom) in a ~1/2 day trip.

I made some trail suggestions here too:
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/index.php?threads/Moab-memorial-day.7195/

I forgot, TrailDamage went to a subscription model since I posted those trail links, if you want gpx file for anything just let me know.

killallninjas

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Atlanta, GA
Member #

I forgot, TrailDamage went to a subscription model since I posted those trail links, if you want gpx file for anything just let me know.

Thanks! I've got the Wells guide, so I should be good on locating the trails. I've been looking at a couple of the trails you listed, such as Fins and Tower Arch. Before getting the book, I thought I'd do them for sure, but the book lists Fins as difficult. There are so many different rating systems. That's one of the reasons I wanted to throw it out here.

Reactions: aearles

aearles

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

USA
Thanks! I've got the Wells guide, so I should be good on locating the trails. I've been looking at a couple of the trails you listed, such as Fins and Tower Arch. Before getting the book, I thought I'd do them for sure, but the book lists Fins as difficult. There are so many different rating systems. That's one of the reasons I wanted to throw it out here.
Fins is broken up into two sections, the second half is slightly harder and longer than the first. Watch some YouTube videos and see if you think it's something you're interested in, I think it's a great intro and will help you get a better handle on relative trail difficulty. The first half can be run in under an hour and it's close to town, we would often go run it after dinner before it gets too dark. If you don't like the first half there are a couple spots where you can bail early. If you like it, press onto the second half and/or Hell's. [emoji1303]

Reactions: killallninjas

killallninjas

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Atlanta, GA
Member #

Fins is broken up into two sections, the second half is slightly harder and longer than the first. Watch some YouTube videos and see if you think it's something you're interested in, I think it's a great intro and will help you get a better handle on relative trail difficulty. The first half can be run in under an hour and it's close to town, we would often go run it after dinner before it gets too dark. If you don't like the first half there are a couple spots where you can bail early. If you like it, press onto the second half and/or Hell's. [emoji1303]

Perfect. Thanks!

Reactions: aearles

Mtntrekker

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hurricane, UT
First Name
Dale
Last Name
Bauer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0THS
A good guide to Moab trails is the Charles A. Wells Moab, UT Backroads and 4 wheel drive trails.
I go to Moab every year for the Easter Jeep Safari and have driven many of the trails rated 6 and below.
SOme good site seeing moderate trails are Sevenmile Rim, Dome Plateau, Fins & Things, Secret Spire, Deadman Point.

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

Top of the World might be of some interest to you as well. It's one of the most popular trails along with Hells and Fins. I'd say both parts of Fins should be doable for your 4Runner. That wells book is a little goofy with it's ratings. According to that book, half the things I've done with a fullsize truck stock are IMPOSSIBLE.

killallninjas

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Atlanta, GA
Member #

I'd love to do Top of the World. I've been told by a few that I shouldn't do that one alone.
This thread exists because of the big difference in opinion in trail ratings and what people say they have experienced in person.
I'll have to keep that one on the 'maybe' list, I guess.

CHILL907

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Peoria, AZ
Member #

I really enjoyed Fins n things and Hells revenge. I did it in a 2012 FJ with an 3" long travel lift and 35" tires. A rear locker is helpful. Most of the really difficult spots have bypasses.

Tusher Tunnel was pretty cool

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

We are only about an hour from Moab.(Fruita, CO) Let me know what dates youre going to be there and Ill go run a few trails with you if Im around!

Camping:
North - Mill Canyon Rd both near the highway and about 10miles in., Dalton Wells Rd. Both unimproved and no facilities
West - Kane Springs Rd - Campgrounds called "The Ledges".. the last 2 are the best right out by Kane Creek Trailhead. $15/night and have vault toilets
East - Campgrounds are all along the river on Hwy 128. $15/night with vault Toilets, Sand Flats Recreation Area(Home to Fins/Hells)
South - Climb the big hill on Hwy 191.. Top of the hill turn right to Behind the Rocks Rd, Free sites near the sand dunes. Free, No facilities. Top of the hill turn left to Pole Canyon Rd... go past Area BFE follow the road up the hill and go to the cliff.(38°22'41.3"N 109°25'20.7"W)
Center - Canyonlands campground right in downtown. Its a lot nicer than you think it will be.

Heres our "Must-Do List" for Moab:
Fins N Things
7 Mile Rim
TOTW
Dome Plateau
Onion Creek/Fisher Towers/Polar Mesa(If it hasnt started snowing yet)
Tusher Tunnel
Hidden Canyon
Flat Iron Mesa(bypass Easter Egg Hill/Intimidator if you are alone)
Jax Trax
Picture Frame Arch
Chicken Corners/Hurrah Pass/Jacksons Hole
White Rim/Shaffer Switchbacks/Potash Rd - No Dogs
Elephant Hill
/Beef Basin - No Dogs

Last edited:

jazzy13

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newport, RI, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Azbill
Member #

Just returned from Moab with two boys (8 & 7), my brother in law and his son (8)...Unbelievable! Three days and didn't even scratch the surface. I can't answer all your questions and I'm no seasoned pro, just an excited novice, but hopefully some of this will help.

Camping: highly recommend staying in campsite off highway 128 along the Colorado river. Swimming in the Colorado River made the trip!! There are a bunch of sites along 128. We snagged one at about 7pm, there are some first come first serve...the first couple campsites are usually full, just keep going, you'll find one...try to reserve ahead of time.

Favorite thing: Arches Nat'l Park. Originally scheduled as just something to fill the time, but loved it so much we went back on our last day. No trails, but what views and a lot of fun looking for the named structures. Dunes near back of park were great for kids to run around and climb on at recommendation of park rangers.

Trails: Gemini bridges was fun and pretty easy. I'm new to off road and decided to throw caution to the wind and tackle elephant hill. Wow. What an experience. I didn't start until 600pm and was on my way down the hill when the sun went down...did the second half in darkness. I had read a few reviews stating it was only a few hours, clearly not for me. However, Recently got my hands on Charles Wells guide to Moab trails and his timeline is, for me, very accurate for the trails. Might want to take a look for planning's sake. My point is if you too are a novice, schedule for plenty of time as the day can quickly get away from you as there is so much to see, so many photo opportunities.

I can't wait to go back and I hope you Have fun!

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

TCrush

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Member #

I was there in July and had 2 days, picked up the Wells book a few folks have mentioned, its a great book, with practically turn by turn directions. Did Hurrah Pass and Chicken Corners a nice easy day out and back, and the views as with most of the area are incredible, with lots of places to camp along the way, We ended up in a cabin to escape some of the heat of July. I will be going back as I'm sure you will too. The choice is a tuff one to only do one or two trails, but no matter what trail(s) you choose I'm sure you will not be disappointed.

Last edited:

gargamel05

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bay Area
Member #

I loved Moab when I was there last year. Honestly, any trails you adventure on will be awesome. Moab is very scenic in all direction ;-)