Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

You should be fine In your stock Taco. Check the snow conditions up north. Down here in S.J. With all the rain we had & yesterday’s snow, the ‘pines are pretty flooded but those water holes have a go around. Don’t forget that MaxxTraxx’s work best with a shovel!
In post #1 Leon @Xplorer313 says donations can be sent to Xplorer313@gmail.com

Good luck on your trip!Godspeed to you!

Reactions: Xplorr313

Xplorr313

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlington, NJ
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WQYY816
Thanks for doing all the work on this, can't imagine all the effort to plot out 450 miles. Looking at doing my first overland trip on this with a stock 2018 Tacoma. This would be a solo trip with the wife and would be doing it next week. I have a pair of maxtraxs but that's about it. Any advice or think i'll run into any issues?

Edit - How do you donate?
Good luck on doing the whole trail next week. I know High Point and some of Stokes shuts the gates to the forest after a certain time of year, or after a snow. You might not be able to traverse that part of the trail this time of the year. Everything south of Buttermilk Falls should be open. Unfortunately, Buttermilk Falls’ Gates do get shut and locked after a certain time of the year. Worst case, you just have to plan a different route.

The holes in the Pines Barrens, please try to avoid them. Take the go around routes since you’re in a stock rig. No need to drown your rig and/or freeze yourself alive if you end up stuck in a hole. I will be around next weekend and I will have my Jeep, so if you need me, reach out. Shoot me a PM or email me at xplorr313@gmail.com for my number. Have fun on your trip!

Reactions: MuckSavage

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
I was at hipoint last weekend. It was very busy with hunters. Roads were very muddy. If you do find yourself in hi point area just be aware that the hunting season in New Jersey goes until about early
Feb. in New York it ends dec 18. So if you do get to walking around, Wear hi viz. some of these goons out there like to shoot at the sound of Bushes moving

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

I was at hipoint last weekend. It was very busy with hunters. Roads were very muddy. If you do find yourself in hi point area just be aware that the hunting season in New Jersey goes until about early
Feb. in New York it ends dec 18. So if you do get to walking around, Wear hi viz. some of these goons out there like to shoot at the sound of Bushes moving
Been there, done that & yes, I've been hit by stray pellets. Thank God for CarHart! Pellets bounced off my coat. This was down in Glassboro WMA

FN2199S

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RGR
Newbie here. I have a stock Jeep Rubicon but upgrading to a small lift in a week. My friend wants to do this but he's on a F1200 GS. which parts of the trail do you recommend that don't involve huge water crossings but are ok for both 4 and 2 wheelers?

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

Up north you’ll be fine with the Rubicon & the GS. Down here in the pines the sand is tough for a big bike. I have a 650 V Strom wearing Michelin Anakee 3’s & it’s a miserable time. My DR350 is better suited to roads in the south. I would ride the V Strom up north.

Just4Runn

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Montclair, NJ
First Name
Graham
Last Name
Horvath
Member #

Thanks for doing all the work on this, can't imagine all the effort to plot out 450 miles. Looking at doing my first overland trip on this with a stock 2018 Tacoma. This would be a solo trip with the wife and would be doing it next week. I have a pair of maxtraxs but that's about it. Any advice or think i'll run into any issues?

Edit - How do you donate?
If you haven't done this yet, lets link up. I have a stock 2017 Tacoma and looking to make this my first overland trip as well.

Reactions: Bearmanpig

FN2199S

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RGR
Sorry for the late re-post. Didn't end up going, in laws ended up ruining the plans.... Also ended up getting some gear for the truck (lights, rack, sliders, and some new AT tires) so I feel better about the trail. I'd be down for a late winter/early spring trip though.
If you all would't mind a noobie tag along, please keep me in mind.

Last edited:

lilcarguy

Rank 0

Traveler I

NYC
Hi, first thanks for doing the legwork on this trail, makes it easy for someone to get into some dirt. Anyone have an idea if the trail is open during this mild winter?

Reactions: Hank Outdoors

Xplorr313

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlington, NJ
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WQYY816
Hi, first thanks for doing the legwork on this trail, makes it easy for someone to get into some dirt. Anyone have an idea if the trail is open during this mild winter?
No problem! Part of the northern section may be closed off due to hunting and for the winter months. Anything above Walpack Township May be closed off. Everything south of Walpack should be open.

Reactions: Hank Outdoors

Xplorr313

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlington, NJ
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WQYY816
Newbie here. I have a stock Jeep Rubicon but upgrading to a small lift in a week. My friend wants to do this but he's on a F1200 GS. which parts of the trail do you recommend that don't involve huge water crossings but are ok for both 4 and 2 wheelers?
You will be fine on both the Jeep and the GS. I ride a 520lb Honda Africa Twin and ride the sand roads in the southern part of the trail no problem. The Jeep can handle anything that you will encounter. If you’re worried about deep water crossings, pay attention to the route and markers that say “deep crossing” or “go around”. There are multiple routes in the .zip file and the “go around” routes will have you by passing tough sections of deep water.

Anyone who is going out on the trail, I did a small section of it the other day to see just how bad the two creek crossings, on Glassworks Rd in Brendan T. Byrne State Forest, were since all the rain we’ve had recently. My stock JKU Sport made it through both without getting stuck and without water over the hood.

DVC

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Hackettstown, NJ
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
R
Member #

Leon - thanks for creating this route, and for sharing with the community! I signed up for Gaia last week, and just loaded in the TNJT gpx file as I familiarize myself with the app on my Android phone and tablet.

Gaia imported 566 total way points, most of which are turn markers that appear to only be useful in LeadNAV fir turn-by-turn directions, etc.

It looks like Gaia imported all 7 routes - the overall TNJT, plus 6 bypasses. But you also
mentioned that there are notes on water crossings, bypasses, etc...are these all in the form of way points, or might there be notes that you've created that don't materialize when the file is imported into Gaia? Some of the way points I see include, for example:

"Turn Left (DO NOT TURN LEFT IF YOU DO NOT LIKE TIGHT TRAILS)"
"Wreck Of SS Atlantus (Ruins Seen From Shore)"
"Go Straight ONLY IF YOU HAVE A SNORKEL" "Danger, WASH OUT WATER CROSSSING"

Do these look like they include all the notes you were referring to?

As for the tight trails, I run a full size crew cab Ram 1500. For a big truck, I've found it to be suprisingly nimble through the trees at Rauch Creek and AOAA... But obviously it's wider than a Subie or a Jeep. That said, are there any spots you recommend that I bypass to avoid scrapes or dents?

Also, for the spots where you indicate a snorkel is needed...I don't have one, but my truck is fairly high (and I have a winch). Based on experience, I'm pretty comfortable with water about 3ft deep, or even a bit deeper. I know that water depth varies depending on conditions, but are there any spots where you'd typically expect crossings deeper than 3ft?

Thanks again, Leon!!

Attachments

Reactions: Dave Snyder

Xplorr313

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlington, NJ
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WQYY816
Leon - thanks for creating this route, and for sharing with the community! I signed up for Gaia last week, and just loaded in the TNJT gpx file as I familiarize myself with the app on my Android phone and tablet.

Gaia imported 566 total way points, most of which are turn markers that appear to only be useful in LeadNAV fir turn-by-turn directions, etc.

It looks like Gaia imported all 7 routes - the overall TNJT, plus 6 bypasses. But you also
mentioned that there are notes on water crossings, bypasses, etc...are these all in the form of way points, or might there be notes that you've created that don't materialize when the file is imported into Gaia? Some of the way points I see include, for example:

"Turn Left (DO NOT TURN LEFT IF YOU DO NOT LIKE TIGHT TRAILS)"
"Wreck Of SS Atlantus (Ruins Seen From Shore)"
"Go Straight ONLY IF YOU HAVE A SNORKEL" "Danger, WASH OUT WATER CROSSSING"

Do these look like they include all the notes you were referring to?

As for the tight trails, I run a full size crew cab Ram 1500. For a big truck, I've found it to be suprisingly nimble through the trees at Rauch Creek and AOAA... But obviously it's wider than a Subie or a Jeep. That said, are there any spots you recommend that I bypass to avoid scrapes or dents?

Also, for the spots where you indicate a snorkel is needed...I don't have one, but my truck is fairly high (and I have a winch). Based on experience, I'm pretty comfortable with water about 3ft deep, or even a bit deeper. I know that water depth varies depending on conditions, but are there any spots where you'd typically expect crossings deeper than 3ft?

Thanks again, Leon!!
Your truck will be fine with most of the water crossings. Also too 90% of the trail will be wide enough for it. The go around for the tight trail, you will want to take it! That part of the trail will be way too tight of brush. Your truck will end up with the infamous piney stripes.

As for the waypoints, they look like they loaded correctly. Unfortunately cause I use LeadNav I cannot confirm that everything loaded into Gaia. The route, if you downloaded from here, is current and should have everything properly listed and loaded. You’ll just have to see what the waypoints say I guess? Again, I don’t use Gaia and can’t give you a good answer. If you are local to the philly area, we could meet up and I could double check it and verify it for you. Plus it would be nice to see how it looks in Gaia.

Reactions: DVC