squishware

Rank III

Advocate II

Redwood City, CA, USA
First Name
batman
Last Name
jones

My field knife is a Scrapyard Scrapper 5 SE (INFI) full convexed by Ban Tang. I chose it due to the ease of sharpening on a strop, strongest grind available, 10 ounces including kydex sheath with large Tek-Lok and chemically impervious super comfortable Respirine C handle.

Reactions: ASNOBODY

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

After all the knives I saw, I just got the idea to build one myself.
So, the first one was just a try out, doing with all the materials and tools I had at that moment.
This is the beginning;

And this is the result. Lots of mistakes in it. So, going for the next ones.

So, Iam pretty happy with it, but iam not done yet.
And now I am building a knife for a friend of mine.
It started like this.

And it aint ready yet, but it looks now like this

The next step in this is forging the handle and more.
It should look like this
voorbeeld.jpg
But it will look still a thing I did.
And next week we, me and an friend will make two knives, survival Tanto's because we are already friends for almost 45 years. They will be similar and we will use them as a token of our friendship, but will be working knives.

More to come.

Greetings from Robert

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

This is my Ragged Mountain Knife Works Starnettle "Acre". It's a modified design of the original "Starnettle" that we originally created for a couple of homesteading youngsters.
D2 Steel, tumbled. Ram's horn handles. Titanium Hardware. Swimming Pool Green G10 bead.
RMKW_StarnettleAcre.jpg

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

After all the knives I saw, I just got the idea to build one myself.
Very cool projects, Robert! I especially like the second design. My metalworking skills are just about zero, but I've watched several artisans doing work, and it is fascinating.

@RaggedViking That's a nice little fixed blade! Is the notch near the tip for a ferro rod? I've seen a lot of Instagram knives with often very expensive beads like above. Is that a decorative thing, or is there a function?

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

Very cool projects, Robert! I especially like the second design. My metalworking skills are just about zero, but I've watched several artisans doing work, and it is fascinating.

@RaggedViking That's a nice little fixed blade! Is the notch near the tip for a ferro rod? I've seen a lot of Instagram knives with often very expensive beads like above. Is that a decorative thing, or is there a function?
@Steve - Thanks, man! It's one of a few we've designed based on our experiences out there in the weird and wild. And that's exactly what the notch is for - running a ferro rod for fire. Way way way too many people run the ferro rod against the blade edge and it ruins the knife - so we baked in something special for everyone.

Reactions: Steve

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Well, I have tried my knife and I can use the notch at the end of my handle to work with the ferro rod. Think I will make such part on the Tanto's as well. Thanks for the tip.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I'll visit the website and see how far out of my spending range one is. :)

@RaggedViking I've seen a lot of Instagram knives with often very expensive beads like above. Is that a decorative thing, or is there a function?

[EDIT] Arrrggg, I know that's what they are worth, but I have yet to talk myself into spending real money for a good knife. Meanwhile, I probably have 50 knives that cost between $20 and $80... Just out of curiosity, what's a wood grip one like the above photo go for with leather sheath?

Reactions: RaggedViking

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

I'll visit the website and see how far out of my spending range one is. :)

@RaggedViking I've seen a lot of Instagram knives with often very expensive beads like above. Is that a decorative thing, or is there a function?

[EDIT] Arrrggg, I know that's what they are worth, but I have yet to talk myself into spending real money for a good knife. Meanwhile, I probably have 50 knives that cost between $20 and $80... Just out of curiosity, what's a wood grip one like the above photo go for with leather sheath?
Around $250 - depending on if we source the material and what it is..

Reactions: Steve

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Well, now we are one step further, and this is the result of the first time I did forging ever.

Now it is back to the filing and the cleaning up a bit. And then hardening the blade? and again filing the bevel.
After the hardening we do the last cleaning up and the sharpening.
I will keep you all informed.

ColoradoPacific

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

This is my Ragged Mountain Knife Works Starnettle "Acre". It's a modified design of the original "Starnettle" that we originally created for a couple of homesteading youngsters.
D2 Steel, tumbled. Ram's horn handles. Titanium Hardware. Swimming Pool Green G10 bead.
View attachment 12146
That's a good looking knife!!

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Damascus blade, wow very very nice. That is way out of my league. Iam just starting with this. It is just something to fill the cold winter months, before I can go back into the Woods and camp.
Maybe when I am old and in the rest mode I can sit still long enough to try something like this.
Thanks for sharing.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Almost finished with my knife. The sheath and knife are more or less in the final stages.
The knife needs to be hardened and then sharpened and polished.
And the sheath needs some leather on it.
I think for the first time making such knife and sheath I can be satified until now.

Should be almost done.

Ttwixxxx

Rank 0

Contributor II

Well, now we are one step further, and this is the result of the first time I did forging ever.

Now it is back to the filing and the cleaning up a bit. And then hardening the blade? and again filing the bevel.
After the hardening we do the last cleaning up and the sharpening.
I will keep you all informed.
Me and my room mate do forging. I'm trying to make all my camping equipment made by me.