Texas Big Bend National Park Event in Future?!?!

• HTML tutorial

Who Is Down To go?!?!

• Total voters

KINGHAWV

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Texas
Member #

We are going to enter the park from Marathon, then head to Panther Junction. Where do we register for the primitive camping permit, and reserve a back country campsite?

Sidetrekked Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Possum Kingdom Lake, Texas
First Name
David and Dayna
Last Name
Coston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5NXU GMRS:WROE726
Service Branch
USMC
We are going to enter the park from Marathon, then head to Panther Junction. Where do we register for the primitive camping permit, and reserve a back country campsite?
When you enter from marathon on 385 there's a small ranger station you can check-in at however they closed at 5 or so when we went a few months ago. You can look on the website to be sure of course. (There are outside bathrooms there just so you know.) Don't let the phrase "hey we're here" enter your head yet. Just like getting to big bend it takes forever to drive through the park. The drive to panther junction takes forever it seems since you have to drive 45 mph. They do write speeding tickets in the park by the way. I prefer to enter the park via Terlingua/Study Butte side. You can stay at highways speeds much longer. It really depends on where exactly you want to go inside the park of course. Depending on which way you decide to go fill up with fuel in alpine or ft. Stockton. There's a walmart in ft. Stockton for any last minute supplies.

Someone else mentioned extra fuel. I carried two rotopax (6 gallons) and never needed it. If you plan on spending a lot of time at the state park it would probably be good to have it. We stayed outside the park so we filled up everyday before going back into the park. There are a couple stations in the park as was previously mentioned but wow is it expensive. I would have a container of fuel just in case. You might come across someone that needs it.

You MUST spend the $5 at panther junction on the booklet that has all the backroads or trails on it. I'll try to post a picture of the cover later. It gives very detailed information about conditions, history, geology, etc. of each and every road. It is awesome. It was just left of the counter on the back wall when I was there.

Here's the booklet i was talking about. It's only $3.95 not $5.
20180830_235506-754x1062.jpg

Last edited:

Sidetrekked Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Possum Kingdom Lake, Texas
First Name
David and Dayna
Last Name
Coston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5NXU GMRS:WROE726
Service Branch
USMC
Also, you can't reserve primitive sites but there are a lot of them. We went in March after spring break and there were hardly any being used.

Levidale

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Gardendale Texas
Member #

Persimmon gap Is where I use to get them, but last few times they’ve been closed when I get to the park so I’ve been getting them at panther junction. I just think it’s because they’ve been short handed. And that’s getting there at 8ooam

Taco_Rojo_

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Robstown Texas
First Name
Jesus
Last Name
C
Member #

Ive been planning a trip to Big Bend solo. Buddies dont want to hit the road that far. I found this site searching for info on gear, plans, ideas, I'm from corpus christi tx area and if you lock a date and have room i'd join the trip.

CCTX50

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Corpus Christi TEXAS
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Strasheim
Member #

Ive been planning a trip to Big Bend solo. Buddies dont want to hit the road that far. I found this site searching for info on gear, plans, ideas, I'm from corpus christi tx area and if you lock a date and have room i'd join the trip.
I'm in Corpus Christi also and looking to get out to BBNP. We need to hook up and talk.

KINGHAWV

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Texas
Member #

Hey man! We are for sure going for a weekend on September 14-16. 3-4 vehicles depending on who goes. I've never been there!

Reactions: Johnny_Wadd

Matt L.

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX
Member #

Winter is the best time. I could be down. I like doing a little bit of both. Remote camping and staying at the lodge or near by accommodations.
I avoid BB whenever there are going to be a lot of people in the area.
Spring Break and Thanksgiving are the busiest times in the National Park. The Chili Cookoffs (There are two on the same weekend) are outside the parks and I never see many of the chiliheads in the parks. That being said, November is a popular time in the National Park, I just would not call it crowded.

livingthedreamoverland

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Plano, TX
Member #

That is a bad ass Jeep. I don't think that I will be making it up to BBNP till Feb-March of 2019. It would be awesome to get a crew together.
I am down to go the 1st weekend in Feb. 2019 or ideally the 1st weekend in April 2019. I try and always schedule my trips to BBNP around the new moon. Milkyway Astro Photography is absolutely amazing there around New Moons.

Levidale

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Gardendale Texas
Member #

EC712681-E33F-4A2D-8A57-8948D1067D6A.jpeg Just got back from Big Bend Ranch State Park nice and quiet there. The National Park was packed. Lot of the roads at the state park are more challenging I think that’s why it’s not that busy with regular vehicles. Seen a lot of fj’s

Reactions: Matt L.