Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Welp, Tesla rolled out the new Cybertruck last night. What do you think?\

• 500 mile range
  • 14,000 lbs tow capacity
  • Adjustable height
  • 0 - 60 in 2.9 seconds
  • 110 and 240 volt outlets
  • 35 degree approach angle, 28 degree departure angle (better than a stock Tacoma)
Here are some of my thoughts:

cybertruck-5.jpg

cybertruck-1-1574399754.jpeg
download.png

Kenny @ Algerfab

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast I

Santa Clara County, California, United States
First Name
Kenny
Last Name
Alger
Member #

Its definitely interesting, I'm not so sure about using it as a trail or overland destination rig, I don't thing you could use solar or plug into a tree quite yet to replenish the state of charge, but as a daily truck, absolutely and its even more appealing with the $40k price point.

Reactions: Michael

billum v2.0

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flyover Country
Member #

I'm from a different generation.

My nephews and grandkids are more interested in their cell phones than almost anything else. Interfacing with a laptop on wheels seems to be the natural progression of that. Mr. Musk's "truck" brings an exterior resembling the laptop some folks will appreciate. As will self-driving technology.

I'm a buggy whip in a sea of confounded new contraptions. You'll excuse me if I still, always, forever, jones for a really well built buggy whip with lines that more than hint at femininity/masculinity...............and all the great things they entail. I know, I know, femininity/masculinity are also going the way of the buggy whip.

The frustrating thing is I like the lines on all the current Teslas.....boy is this a glaring exception.

Last edited:

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

I was really hoping for a great reveal but I am sadly disappointed. The 39k price point only gets you a 2WD with a 0-60 at 6.5 sec. Plus another 7k if you want to add any self-driving features. You will be spending closer to 70K for the AWD 0-60 in 2.9 sec model. That puts it closer to the price of the Rivian R1T.

I don't care for the raised bedsides. When on a trip I do a lot of loading/unloading from the side. That isn't going to happen with that truck. The truck would have to change a lot from that concept vehicle to get my interest. Being different is nice, but in the end, I just can't see myself driving around with a bag over my head.

Reactions: Michael

Jeep backroads

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Shingletown, CA, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
King
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7tdk
I’m skeptical but so where people when the model A pickup came out. People said horses where more reliable. I think I still prefer a horse they can forage for there food but they can go lame which means you can’t adventure . Maybe a will now buy a model a truck. Or a Tesla truck bottom line I like it.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Good points and questions in the vid @Michael .
Having seen more than several concept vehicles that people got excited about, I can say with some confidence that this is not what will come to market. This is the sexed-up version of what might actually be produceable. Which tells me that this is a long way from production. Don't talk to me like this is the real deal, Mr. M. And as for the performance and range numbers, this won't be the first time mr. Musk has stretched the truth (see video. spoiler alert: glass breaks...).
It may actually accelerate like that though, but does it need to? Not in my world but I'm not the customer here, in fact, I don't even get this customer.

I do believe that "form follows function", so I have to ask, what is the function of the dunce-cap roof line? Not sure. Why the high bed sides? Don't know. Not true, I actually do know and the answer is, this is the sexed-up version. There are so many things on this truck that are not produceable.

People that buy typical trucks available today, by and large, don't use them to their potential. People (can I say 'guys' here?) will buy a 4x4 truck and never put it into 4Lo. But... they will add 22" rims (or whatever the maximum size is to overcome a diminutive body part), and lift it to unseemly heights because it looks cool. That right there hints at the customer that E. Musk is looking for. Someone who doesn't really need to use that awesome approach angle, or for that matter know what "approach angle" even means, but cares about shocking those who are impressed by the gawdy looks of a lifted bro-truck or cybertruck, whatever.

I have a few questions of my own: (my answers in parenthesis)
- When will this be commercially available? (based on the concept, I'm guessing 2022 at the earliest)
- Where will the energy of a crash that normally is absorbed by the sheet metal go? (into the passenger compartment, where else?)
- If, by chance, the super-metal does get damaged, who can repair it for me? (hahahaha...)
- What tires will fit? (just kidding, no one is going to care about putting tires on a lease car/truck)
- If I tow a trailer, will I have to disconnect it to use a Supercharger? (yes. yes you will)
- If I do tow a 10,000 lb trailer, how much will my range decrease? (why would you ever want to tow a trailer? You're rich, get a hotel)
- How many people at Tesla lost their job because that glass broke? (many, many, but E.M. didn't know their names)

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

I was really hoping for a great reveal but I am sadly disappointed. The 39k price point only gets you a 2WD with a 0-60 at 6.5 sec. Plus another 7k if you want to add any self-driving features. You will be spending closer to 70K for the AWD 0-60 in 2.9 sec model. That puts it closer to the price of the Rivian R1T.

I don't care for the raised bedsides. When on a trip I do a lot of loading/unloading from the side. That isn't going to happen with that truck. The truck would have to change a lot from that concept vehicle to get my interest. Being different is nice, but in the end, I just can't see myself driving around with a bag over my head.
I think that the price is actually really good. Basically you can get the top of the line cyber truck at the same price of the Rivian base model. Or you get 3 cyber trucks for the price of a Bollinger. Tesla has a huge production / manufacturing advantage on its competitors.

On the other side, I do like more Rivian's design but I like the fact that the cybertruck looks like coming form another world. We still have 2 years before it will go to production so I'm sure they will take time to refine the design (and hopefully fix the windows lol).

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

I don’t like the current design trend of sharp angles and straight lines, I like curves. And while the stated 500 mile range sounds great, a fully equipped 4 wheel drive will certainly get less range, and there aren’t any charging stations out in the boonies. Carrying some spare fuel isn’t a problem, but I imagine carrying a spare battery would be, I imagine.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I won't be buying one. Not my kind of thing.

The suggestion we are being trolled actually makes sense to me. I can't imagine a $40K version of this actually hitting the market. If it does then I expect Tesla to be losing money on those.

However, an electric 4x4 isn't a bad idea. Particularly, as was said in the other thread, if you can control power to wheels independently. Add in sensors for slippage and computer controls and you would be better off than with lockers. There could be awesome crawling potential with this.

The other thing that needs to happen is solar charging. If Tesla could pull that off then you would have unlimited range. Even if it required that you set up camp for a day and unfold an array (doubles as an awning, right?) that would be a game changer.

I see some potential here. It will be interesting to watch where this goes.

Alpha Out Front

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Raymond
Last Name
Armenta
My Cummins has better reliability, better range and more torque. That Tesla range is unloaded with a tail wind lol. TFL car tested a model x when towing and it consumed 3x more battery when towing a max load of 5k. The windows and and strong body is nothing more than a gimmick that is useless to everyone other than a communist regime and the drug cartel. 14K pounds is a lot of weight to hang off the tongue. It doesn't look like you can put a weight distribution hitch on the Tesla nor can you put a goose neck on it because of the high bedsides.