WV
First Name
Derek
Last Name
T
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K8CD
Nah. It's fugly. And the stats on the website are half of what is posted here. I'm a no go on that. Although I'd love to see it do Bear Pass.

jeepnjeff

Rank II

Enthusiast III

On paper it looks good. I'd be hesitant to take it off road though. Fire roads and groomed dirt roads, maybe. Rocks and mud, I'm not so sure. Can the truck ford water? Tesla's in the past/present haven't fared too well in floods. The low CG is nice when driving but not so nice when you are submerging it under water. For those of us who do even mild to moderate rock crawling, I don't think it's going to work either. Can you put larger/more aggressive tires on it? I doubt there's going to be any locker or even LSD option from the factory. At best I think it might have brake-assist traction control.

Overall, I don't see it as a real competitor to the F-series/Silverado/Ram. And Ford and GM have said they're going electric in 2021. The other thing I wonder is if Tesla is going to make these like they currently make their other cars or are they going to design them so they can be churned out. Then there's servicing it. It take forever to get a Tesla repair an even a minor issue. There have been many cases of people having to wait months for parts to fix their cars. Tesla won't sell every part to the public either so fixing it yourself might not be an option.

On the plus side, the cyberpunk movement isn't dead yet.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Honestly after hearing how awful the working environments are in Tesla factories, and how Mr. Musk makes his own rules, even going as far as to NOT paint things in factories by OSHA standards thus contributing to injuries, I refuse to even consider purchasing their products until they get in line with the industry standards. They have an injury rate thats many times the industry norm and are doing everything they can to screw workers out of compensation. Their products are good, but when you look at how the company operates, you can tell its a failing endeavor. It just sucks that the people who work in the factories are the ones who suffer, like usual...

Reactions: Wallygator

Dave K

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
Don’t worry. All of those workers will get exactly what they want one day. They are just going to have to follow Tesla to another state to do so. There are reasons that NUMMI (the company that owned the same factory prior to Tesla) closed and that there are no other auto manufacturers on the west coast. It certainly has nothing to do with demand.

anotherJeep

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Birmingham, Alabama
First Name
Cullen
Last Name
S
Member #

I love that it exists, I hope to drive one some day. It's radical, it's nothing like a regular Tesla when it comes to design. Good for them, even though I have no idea who will buy it.

However, the last thing I want is a damn tesla owner on the trail with me. They are the worst humans to be around. Keep the battery stations in big cities and these battery truck owners will be stuck there too

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
However, the last thing I want is a damn tesla owner on the trail with me. They are the worst humans to be around. Keep the battery stations in big cities and these battery truck owners will be stuck there too
Gee, you mean the Beemer crowd has moved over to Tesla? This might be a good time to short BMW. :tonguewink:

I hate to break it to you, but they have been spreading those charging stations all over the place. Surprised the daylights out of me when I came across them a couple years ago in Beatty, Nevada. That will put those trucks in Death Valley.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Don’t worry. All of those workers will get exactly what they want one day. They are just going to have to follow Tesla to another state to do so. There are reasons that NUMMI (the company that owned the same factory prior to Tesla) closed and that there are no other auto manufacturers on the west coast. It certainly has nothing to do with demand.
It has nothing to do with location, and everything to do with ethics. Toyota has a plant in California, Kenworth in Washington, and Frieghtliner in Oregon. Those are just three large manufacturers I can cite off the top of my head that operate quite well on the west coast.
Ay any rate, im not a huge fan of Tesla or Mr. Musk, but I do have a certain respect for them as they have pushed the conversation so to speak, and let's face it, we cannot continue on the energy course we are on. Any push for progress and a change in thought is welcomed by me with open arms, I just wish Tesla was better than they are right now.

Last edited:

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness

I guess a Prius doesn't scream ''I'm a flaming liberal!'' loud enough anymore. I'm sure this truck will be popular with the crowd that needs more than a Bernie bumper sticker.

But sorry, other than that, it's crap. Hybrids won't be viable until super capacitors replace batteries, and full electric cars aren't viable until fusion.

I've designed better cars in 3rd grade. Anyone can make a giant flashlight with wheels. If this thing can't even transform into a proper submarine, then I don't get the excitement.

Yay. Congrats, you made a vehicle no more complicated than the Team Associated Rc10 model Rc car that we all made when we were 9 years old. Tesla sucks.

Last edited:

zthomas

Rank 0

Contributor I

Middle TN
First Name
Zac
Last Name
Thomas
@Michael good video. Thanks for putting that together.

To try to add to the broader conversation:

Form following function works for me. It’s ugly, but its growing on me. That said, there seems a lot on offer from an overland perspective. The big gripe is range (way more than enough for daily for me). On trail, wouldn’t expect the same % range hit I see in my trucks (no idle loss share on slow stuff), but there’ll still be a hit. Refueling logistics then kick in and there’s no Titan tank / cans for that one yet. That said, jury is out till we can get in the seat and put in miles. Too early to pass judgement for me.

With respect to range, my hope is there’s a digital jerry can option, great rollout of pull through Superchargers at 250kW+ rates, or the like. Otherwise, if OTG for a few, curious how much yield the solar tonneau options get during the day (15-20 miles base is interesting), what solar awnings could bump that to (50 would be conceivable and wild; not gonna help in the trees though), and possibly what a genset would do overnight in a pinch (or while you drive if it’d accept the charge).

Like most things, decent trip planning and it looks like a lot of fun. If you’re a full timer, hermit, long hauler, lovers of non-wierd trucks, or favor more established solutions, doubt it’s the truck for you. Wouldn’t spend the time getting particularly riled up. If you either 1. love getting oil changes (I respect that; go in peace) or 2. put a deposit on everybody’s favorite little piggy, the Rivian (oink proudly my friend), nothing to worry about with ole Iron Sides.

Before somebody goes, “what sort of lilly livered liberal are yah?”, I’m a lover of dinoburning and electrons alike. Solid axles and IFS. They have their place. Got a soft spot for lockers, MTs, pinstriping things beyond what’s reasonable, hold my beer moments, etc. Desert or forrest, I’m a happy camper.

Presently, I run a Ram 2500 CTD work truck (I’d do bad things for a Prospector XL one day), ZR2 Baby Duramax, and a Model S. Yeah Dr Jeckle and Mr Sparky. Had a JKU Rubicon a while back too. All dang good vehicles within certain use cases. Jeep would climb like a goat. Ram pulls like a... well ram. ZR2 lacks the flex, but is a great efficient platform and the aftermarket is starting to really take notice.

Curious thing about the Teslas is the news seems to tell me I should or shouldn’t like Tesla depending on all sorts of nonsense. All that tells me is news groups sell a ton of clickbait and bull$hit. In my experience Tesla’s are built like tanks, are hyper efficient, have next to zero maintenance, and they get better faster than any car I’ve seen. They do that last part with new software periodically and by packing physical improvements from user feedback into production many times per year. Imagine if Ram had 6-12 sub model years EVERY year. By the time you find something to criticize, your point is about 5 minutes from losing relevance. Speaking about the hardware, software, engineering, etc. That said, they certainly have their limitations as well. With respect to Musk, think what you like.

Relative to my Ram CTD, the expected upshot on the CT (assuming it uses the lessons of the S,X,3 experience) is that it’s effectively silent (hunting potential), no DEF(you go buy more blue horse pee if you want to), similar torque figures to the HO Cummins, tougher carcass, most durable drivetrain I’ve ever pulled apart (not many moving parts, and freakin beefy), better drive system diagnostics, continual software and firmware refinement, redundant 1M rated motor systems (one drops and it goes neutral, others still pull you out assuming there’s not a full cascade failure), a flush armored underbody with huge clearance, no pumpkins to smack at inopportune moments, yada yada yada.

With respect to traction, the traction control system adjusts at the millisecond level. Without getting hyperbolic, it blow every other system I’ve used out of the water. It leads to tremendous confidence, reduced wear, etc. Imagine 2wd automatically turning effectively to 4 low, fully locked based on vehicle telemetry without losing momentum. On summer tires in just an S (dumb I know), they pull hard on literal sand and literal ice (tested both). Based on my experience, a Tesla with MTs may be next to impossible to get stuck.

Beyond that:

-Regenerative breaking means no more brake pads/rotors (unless you’re a legend).
-Center light bar means I’ve got a spare $500 for more beer.
-Load leveling suspension in camp.
-3500lb capacity is thicker than a snicker.
-35” tire from factory.
-Big ground clearance (that’s actually clear).
-Mountain of lockable storage.
-Low center of gravity.
-Looks like ac/heat may be directable to be bed, where you can effectively cap camp.
-Built in compressor.
-Big accessible batt depth for various camp uses)
-Autopilot takes the edge off paved highway sections and helps you enjoy the scenery.
-No paintwork to jack up, while wheeling tight trails
-Fully sealed drive and battery systems can handle water crossings without diff breathers, snorkels, or risk of hydro locking.
-Glass fail at the reveal, but another panel took a bunch of shots that would have broken anything I’ve ever had. More durable glass ain’t gonna hurt. If it starts hailing steel balls, then I’ve got more to worry about.

In the potential negative column, I’ve got questions on:
-the range, associated logistics, and algorithm predicting consumption in off-road conditions (important for plannining; it nails on road within 1% consistently for me)
-the sails interfering with the bed access. (If I can get a RamBox worth of ice and beer in there, I’d call it a worthy trade off)
-can a RTT and a Leitner equivalent be mounted without hammering the range because of the aero penalty
-air suspension is good for load, but for flex? Me thinks not. Curious how that’ll test out. Guessing it’ll behave similarly to a Disco’s new system.
-where the winch go?

If it sucks, you can laugh at me later.

Stay Sparky
Z

Last edited:
Reactions: trail_runn4r

Dave K

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
And it’s gps systems will route you through every super charger station from here to Death Valley and back without a hitch! You can admire other electro trucks in the hour it will take you to fill your tank.

I am a fan of many things Tesla. Heck, most things Musk it would seem. That said, range is terrible when you consider what it takes to actually “fill the tank” and the limitations of where you can do so. They are just not there yet for me in terms of anything halfway remote. Short range day to day Tesla is pretty sweet.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I was watching a video interview that Glen Beck did talking with Jeff Brown, last night that was interesting to me. They had a great talk about 5G and Super Computers, also the advancements in A I technology. One illustration given was something like this between 4G and 5G to help put the differences in perspective. 4G is like having a garden water hose, and 5G would be 100times larger or more. The reason I bring this up is with that much more data moving you are going to see huge jumps in technology the next 10 years. 5G will be operational in the ultra high frequencies , so, you won’t get the slow downs like we get in the over congested bandwidths In use now. Computer latency will be almost a thing of the past. Something most people don’t know is that in the last couple of months, Google built a working quantum super computer, that blows any other competition away. All this adds up to our world changing faster than even the so called experts were thinking. Our world could be more like the world of “I Robot“, with Will Smith, in as little as 10 years! Trying to bring this back on topic, Tesla has put Two Billion hours of testing into their self driving cars, while the next closest company, Google, has like Ten Million. Electric motor vehicles along with self driving cars are here to stay! Vance.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Electric motors are super torquey,and come on instantly. The torque curve is effectively no curve at all. Sounds good, until you don't need or want all of it at one time (any kind of loose material).

I have this same complaint with the modern/current ridiculously high torque diesels in light trucks. Super high torque coming at very low rpm and a flat curve. 1000lb-ft of torque is awesome, but if you can't effectively put it to the ground it results in nothing but wheel spin, and wheel spin is not (always if ever) your friend.

You have to be able to effectively put whatever amount of torque that is being generated to the ground, and the lighter the vehicle is the more difficult that gets. Complex computer systems to mitigate that is obviously the answer, and those same complex computer systems add additional failure points.

Tesla is cool, Tesla is innovative,Tesla is known for vaporware. I think EV's are the future, particularly for the hive dwellers (of which I am not one). I'll be very surprised to see these ever hit the market at anything even remotely resembling an affordable rate, and even more surprised if they are not a quirky and largely useless piece of crap off road.

Reactions: Wallygator

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Electric motors are super torquey,and come on instantly. The torque curve is effectively no curve at all. Sounds good, until you don't need or want all of it at one time (any kind of loose material).

I have this same complaint with the modern/current ridiculously high torque diesels in light trucks. Super high torque coming at very low rpm and a flat curve. 1000lb-ft of torque is awesome, but if you can't effectively put it to the ground it results in nothing but wheel spin, and wheel spin is not (always if ever) your friend.

You have to be able to effectively put whatever amount of torque that is being generated to the ground, and the lighter the vehicle is the more difficult that gets. Complex computer systems to mitigate that is obviously the answer, and those same complex computer systems add additional failure points.

Tesla is cool, Tesla is innovative,Tesla is known for vaporware. I think EV's are the future, particularly for the hive dwellers (of which I am not one). I'll be very surprised to see these ever hit the market at anything even remotely resembling an affordable rate, and even more surprised if they are not a quirky and largely useless piece of crap off road.
In EVs, torque is there instantly if you want. If you don’t, just be gentle on the throttle.

Moreover, you have the software. I can imagine that you will have many settings for when on and off road, different types or terrains etc, adjustable very precisely to your needs.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Trains are AC for a reason.

I'll bet these things suck in snow.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Trains are AC for a reason.

I'll bet these things suck in snow.
Oh oh... Not that I like electric cars (I really don't) but it's a ac...
At least it's a 3 phase pwm modulated current that drives the motor.
And you can realize nearly every torque and power curve you want. It's just the battery that makes it a complete nonsense development in my opinion.