Investor

Trail Blazer III

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Karen
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

Has anyone tried the RTT reflective tent liners? I have been wanting to try one but would like to hear about others experiences with them. They look like they would reflect the heat back fairly well and perhaps eliminate the need for a heater except in the coldest conditions.

JungleSkunk

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I have a Tepui Insulator Insert for my Smittybilt 2783 RTT & fits like a glove, I like it, install quick about 4 minutes & does make a huge difference for keeping you warmer.
Good to know the insulator fits the smittybilt tent. I have been looking at cold weather upgrades for the same RTT.

jimmyjamson

Rank I

Contributor III

Switzerland
First Name
jack
Last Name
austin
I'm a 3 season camper (Fall/Winter/Spring) with the Tepui version of your Mt. Shasta Summit Series. I've tried the Mr. Buddy propane heater in the tent, but it produced too much moisture while running, causing condensation on the tent walls and damp/wet bedding. In colder temps, we had thick layer of frost build up on the tent walls and aluminum supports, which turns to water when the sun rises.
Now, it's Smartwool or polypro long johns, Smartwool Expedition socks, heavy wool blankets, a wool neck gaiter and watch cap. Fill a pair of Nalgene water bottles with boiling water a half hour before bed and a candle heater for tent(goes between mattress and blankets, one at my feet and one near my kidneys). Pull on a pair of loose wool mittens when I climb into bed and I'm good for the night unless more than a few hours below 15-20°. A cheap chemical heat pack in each sock/mitten will get me down t0 single digits, although not comfortably.
i’m looking at a variety of Mr Heater products, but wanted to get everyones thoughts before I pull the trigger. Also is there a danger that a heater will hurt your tent?!

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I partially open a flap on the roof of the tent and place the heater accordingly. It keeps a hot spot from forming on the tent fabric, although I don't believe this is actually necessary. I also have a battery-powered fan I aim toward the heater to help disperse the heat into the tent. Also probably not necessary, but I've slept warmly on many nights with this configuration.