Launch Member

Explorer I

Elizabethton, TN
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klepp
Member #

I've got the Portable Buddy Heater, bought it anticipating cold temperatures on a few of our off-season camping trips. Used in temps as low as 6F inside the 8 man tent and it kept all 4 of us comfortably warm. We had the windows closed but the top of the tent is mesh under the rain fly, so even with (likely a lot of) heat escaping, we all slept well through the night, except when the 1lb bottles emptied and had to be changed when the frigid cold woke me to remind me the heater was out of fuel. Absolutely would recommend, especially when on sale!

Mike

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

Basically what I'm saying is the bigger buddy heater has more mounting options, has two heat settings and can be hooked up to a bigger tank outside the tent. You might want to think about those things before purchasing the little buddy.
Wow, good info! You just saved me $70!

monjorrow

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

US
We're going to be using a 2000w inverter generator and small space heater with thermostat. We used it a couple weeks ago down into the 20s and it worked amazing. Slept all night in my undies and comforter.

Traveler I

So I ended up running the vent up the smoke stack. It worked quite well. It warmed the tent nice. So final conclusion. It works. You need to add wood a few times during the night, to keep it going. this could be refind with the right wood combo to last longer. I tried carcol and only had to add at midnight and 4 am. I'm sure there's a way to get more out of it. The only other draw back is it's kinda bulky to take camping. It was a fun exsparament.

S

SubeeBen

We got into the high 20's in Sequoia several weeks ago with a ton of blankets, crappy coleman sleeping bags, thermals under sweater and sweatpants and some wool socks, you would think this would have been horrible, but we had those chemical heat packs all over and felt toasty. I have some 20D sleeping bags on order, hopefully that will keep us comfortable with only a sweatshirt and sweatpants and wool socks so we can forego the chemical heat packs.

I'm trying to avoid using a Mr. Buddy as I fear I may wakeup dead if it decides to malfunction. I also now have a yeti400 so I might look into some of those ceramic element heaters.
Not laughing at you but laughing with you you won’t wake up if the heater malfunctions. Just saying. ✌.

S

SubeeBen

Co2 detector
Yea totally gotcha. That’s common sense respectibly saying which (common sense) is hard to find nowadays. But yes totally agree co2 detector. Which I have 2 in the teardrop looking for one for the rtt when I get one. Just got a good laugh at your comment because I would have said the same thing ✌.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mendomilitia

socalmtbiker

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

San Diego
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Ramos
Member #

I finally wimped out and bought a Buddy heater. I already had the fan hanging over it for warm weather camping, but it helps to disperse the heat well. Honestly, this heater is WAY too big for the standard rooftop tent. At the time of purchase, it was the same price as the smaller model, so it seemed to make sense, but I'm questioning that. I may downgrade at some point.

View attachment 77786
I like your system. How do you have the heater suspended above the floor of the tent and what fan are you using?

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

One of the best things we bought was BA Cabin Creek double sleeping bag with Exped Downmat 9 sleeping pads. We had it down to mid 20's no problem. I was just in long johns, my wife had on fleece pants and jacket with long johns. And my wife is always cold. The night it got down to 24 degrees the forcase was in the teens so we had two heavy blankets ready to go but didn't need then. A hat the stays on is a must. It doesn't help with the 2:00 am pee but it is nice to have some extra body heat to warm you up when you get back. And I have to be the one to getup and make a fire and hot tea before she gets out in the morning. But I'll take it to have my best friend camping with me.

We will be making to move to a heated teardrop soon and I will miss tent trips, my wife not so much. She can't wait till the drop is done.
Todd

Nef

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kingman, AZ, USA
First Name
Harold
Last Name
Malave
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AC2UD
I don't have a heater ATM. So far the lowest I've hit in the tent this year is 30°. While it is different for everyone, for me that's not very cold. I have been more than comfortable with my blanket,na poncho liner and my sleeping bag. (Rated to 20°) I have the liner and blanket under me and use the sleeping bag as a blanket. I may put my feet in at times. Otherwise I sleep in skivvies and a t-shirt, clothes inder the liner under me so they are warm when I get dressed in the am. As for that late night liquulrun, well I cheat. I keep a johnny bottle in the tent and dump it appropriate to where I am in the am. I have considered heating options for colder weather but the above has served me everywhere I have been deployed so we will see.

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

I’m getting a buddy heater and will run it all night long. I have more chance of being eaten by a bear then by being overcome by co2.
When growing up our classrooms in the cadets were only heated by gas heaters. No one ever died.

E28E7DFD-0E57-4DC0-A31C-B2AEC7F4EB51-11867-00000BBE62AC2624.jpg7E19757B-A973-439B-AC90-C52250D4727D-11867-00000BBE89AFFAD4.jpg57E77E32-46FA-495D-A486-9C16554CF2FE-11867-00000BBEA939D42B.jpg

What did kill people were gas shower or bath heaters in bathrooms.

Keep them maintained and you will be ok.
If you’re scared just put a co2 alarm on the tent floor.

Now for the tent, I would be more worried that the tent burst into flames. Nylon tents are not flame retardant. If your tent catches fire tuck your self in the sleeping bag count to 10ish seconds, then keep rolling back and forth. The tent will burn down around you in a few seconds and drip molten nylon on the bag and set the bag alight.
If you’re in a RTT I would keep a extinguisher close to you.

However the better thing is to buy a flame retardant tent.

Reactions: Ichibahn

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I like your system. How do you have the heater suspended above the floor of the tent and what fan are you using?
I had it suspended with a prototype mount a friend is working on. I can't say much more than that now.

The fan is an inexpensive "tent fan" from Amazon that has worked out perfectly. It has a hanger, is adjustable, has separate switches for the lights and fan, and runs for days on a couple D batteries. How many, I don't know. I've had it 2 years and it's still running on the first set of batteries. https://amzn.to/2R7JXCY

McGrizzly

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Half Moon Bay
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
McGraw
Member #

Chris, we have a dewalt inverter and just ordered a new electric blanket. (Have not tested the blanket yet, has not showed up in the mail yet) Inside our rtt i have taken out the terrible foam and put down an inflatable kingcamp mattress, super insulated and then a wool blanket on top of that before the sleeping bags. sleeping bags are 40degree and then a rumpl down blanket on top of that. When we were at OBwest, the moisture was insane and we froze all night with just sleeping bags, the stock mat and the rumpl. i know you wrote this a while ago, but i have not seen anyone that does a heating blanked with an inverter yet... that being said, if you dont have a buddy heater feel free to borrow mine if you want to see if you like it. 1gal can only lasts about 2 hours full blast.

what set up are you running? also you still planning those spots?