Rank 0

Contributor II

La Vergne, TN, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Pickens
Hello all,
We moved to TN (Nashville area) just about a year and a half ago. Just now getting into Overlanding and looking for good areas to start getting out there
We own a non-built-up jeep (but changing all of the time).

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

Seems Land Between The Lakes is a good area to explore so far. I've only gone once to date, but planning on a few more trips in the coming weeks. The roads run the gamut from nicely graded gravel to some you wouldn't want to do unless you're equipped for self-recovery, or have some help along. Plus they have an OHV park if you want to test the heavier stuff.

TCorona

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Corona
Member #

Hey there...
My Uncle recently moved to the Dickson TN area, from California to escape the drought, wildfires, cost of living, etc., ...
I'll be headin out there around September to checkup on him/visit, what can we expect that time of year in that country?
About the end of August we'll head East, stopping off in Colorado to visit family/explore the Central Colorado NF for old mining towns, then continue East to Oklahoma City area for more family visits, and then head to Dickson from there, with stops at Lake of the Ozarks/Branson.
So we'll probably be in Tennessee around mid-Sept early October...
Thanks

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
New to the group and will be moving to outside Mountain City this weekend. We just pulled off the road after 7 years. The first four were Alaska to Argentina, the last three bumbling around the US and Mexico. We love the Appalachians so since we’re rejoining regular society we figure there was no better time than now.

Reactions: bcmedicxj

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

Hey there...
My Uncle recently moved to the Dickson TN area, from California to escape the drought, wildfires, cost of living, etc., ...
I'll be headin out there around September to checkup on him/visit, what can we expect that time of year in that country?
About the end of August we'll head East, stopping off in Colorado to visit family/explore the Central Colorado NF for old mining towns, then continue East to Oklahoma City area for more family visits, and then head to Dickson from there, with stops at Lake of the Ozarks/Branson.
So we'll probably be in Tennessee around mid-Sept early October...
Thanks
By that point, semi-decent weather (as far as this area of the country is concerned). Unfortunately, it's still unpredictable in the grand scheme where some Septembers and Octobers are pretty hot and humid, and others would fool one in to thinking it's actually Autumn.

Reactions: TCorona

TN_Cactus

Rank II

Contributor II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Chappell
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Hi all, south of Nashville here. Just got back from a nice trip out west to Arizona and Utah. Was absolutely fantastic. Going to Do more camping/hiking this year if anyone is getting out there. say hi.

Reactions: PA Chuck D

ardecker

Rank II

Contributor III

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Decker
Member #

Hey everyone! Been in the Nashville area for almost 3 yrs now. I have had my dual sport to ride around all of the dirt roads in south/central TN for 2 yrs. Picked up a 09 GX470 this past December. I have run the Dirt Devil and been to LBL a couple times. The western end of the TN TAT that runs down into Alabama is nice place for an easy offroad trip.

OverlandJeep

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Gil
Last Name
Janke
Member #

Service Branch
None
I moved here from California over 20 years ago and never looked back. I like to say "I escaped CA." My wife and I drove our 2018 JL in May 2022 from Nashville to Arizona, CO, Utah, Wyoming and back home.
I hope to enjoy TN. If you're into trails I'd be glad to point you in the right direction.

Reactions: PA Chuck D

Zane_caff88

Rank 0

Contributor II

First Name
Zane
Last Name
Pullen
So coming back around to this thought, do you have any recommendations for an easy trail/camp spot at LBL? Now that the rig is pretty well done with phase 1, and I got at least a little experience under the belt at expo east, we're looking for some quick practice trips. Primarily working on streamlining our gear, and getting better at setting up and tearing down camp. Basically, I'm hoping to do some 1 night runs, and since there doesn't seem to be anything resembling dispersed camping around Memphis, my first thoughts are towards LBL or Ozark National Forest. I'm trying to find some spots that would be relatively easy to access; not necessarily gravel road easy, but easy enough I wouldn't be worried about traveling solo without recovery gear. I keep seeing some videos with areas near persimmon beach, but can't seem to figure out where that is using OnX (free sub, figured I'd give that a try then try Gaia).
Can anyone tell me how to get to Persimmon Beach?

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

So coming back around to this thought, do you have any recommendations for an easy trail/camp spot at LBL? Now that the rig is pretty well done with phase 1, and I got at least a little experience under the belt at expo east, we're looking for some quick practice trips. Primarily working on streamlining our gear, and getting better at setting up and tearing down camp. Basically, I'm hoping to do some 1 night runs, and since there doesn't seem to be anything resembling dispersed camping around Memphis, my first thoughts are towards LBL or Ozark National Forest. I'm trying to find some spots that would be relatively easy to access; not necessarily gravel road easy, but easy enough I wouldn't be worried about traveling solo without recovery gear. I keep seeing some videos with areas near persimmon beach, but can't seem to figure out where that is using OnX (free sub, figured I'd give that a try then try Gaia).
Can anyone tell me how to get to Persimmon Beach?
End of Rd 139.

OverlandJeep

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Gil
Last Name
Janke
Member #

Service Branch
None
I’m interested in Overlanding, day rides, etc with others. I live in Nashville area.
Let’s try for a couple of rides before end of year.

Reactions: TN4Runnin

TN4Runnin

Rank I

Contributor III

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Doyle
I’m interested in Overlanding, day rides, etc with others. I live in Nashville area.
This weekend through the weekend of 10/22, and the weekend of 11/5, I’m all booked up unfortunately.

Besides that, I think I can make it happen

GPack77

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Pack
Member #

Hello, I made a last-minute decision to go to Expo this weekend. Just curious if anyone’s headed up that way?

OverlandJeep

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Gil
Last Name
Janke
Member #

Service Branch
None
This weekend through the weekend of 10/22, and the weekend of 11/5, I’m all booked up unfortunately.

Besides that, I think I can make it happen
Those dates could work. Let me get back to you by Saturday 10/8 with a better idea of my schedule. Gil

Reactions: TN4Runnin