Tacoma, XJ or 4Runner

• HTML tutorial

RatRod46

Rank 0

Traveler I

I am new here, and just getting into overlanding. I drive 90 miles to work and back and I want to buy a rig that I can build into an overland rig and a DD. I am stuck between a Newer Tacoma, XJ and a 3rd gen 4Runner. What do yall think would be the better choice for me?

Last edited:

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Honestly I really like my XJ, but I am not sure I would use it to drive 90 miles back and forth to work. My rig is strickly for play. I like it because parts are easy to come by and not overly expensive to boot. And for off roading it's hard to beat solid axles, $ for $ Just don't think as a daily driver I would like to use a xj.

RatRod46

Rank 0

Traveler I

Honestly I really like my XJ, but I am not sure I would use it to drive 90 miles back and forth to work. My rig is strickly for play. I like it because parts are easy to come by and not overly expensive to boot. And for off roading it's hard to beat solid axles, $ for $ Just don't think as a daily driver I would like to use a xj.
I have been doing research, I have almost thought about buying a newer Tacoma and going that route but that means I have to trade in my Ram 1500 2wd I have now.

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

I don’t think you can go wrong either way, but I’d say T4R for the win! [emoji12]
IMO it’s more comfortable as a DD and the aftermarket is really starting to blow up with options. Still no Jeep market, but it’s getting there.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Wife and I are kicking around the Idea of getting something new for the purpose of roadtrips and some overland style of travel. I would love to sell my f-150 (2 wheel drive) in favor of a Tocoma or my dream vehicle a JL Rubicon. Also thinking of getting a Rav-4 (keeping my Xj) But that is a move we will make in about 5 years. For now my Xj gets the overland stuff and her car (Ford Focus) or the F-150 for our road trips. I am really happy with my Xj for wheeling and overlanding, as it has taken me all over the state and we did the Rim Rocker Trail from Montrose to Moab with no issues, but I would rather have something with a little more creature comforts if I have to drive it every day or road tripping across the country.

Spooky08

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Navarre, Florida, United States
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Hendrickson
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Requirement dependent, but I love my Tacoma. If you still want to have the truck option, I would go that direction. My wife's 4Runner is great as well and a little more spacious on the inside. If you regularly have people in your backseat, that is probably the better option there. Right now my Tacoma is doing a little better than the 4Runner on gas mileage, but they are close. Also just something to note, I'm 5'11" and while it doesn't bother me, I do notice that my sight profile is a lot closer to the roof and I was when I owned my FJ Cruiser. I could certainly see someone with a taller sitting height having some issues. As far as off-road capability though, unless you are planning on doing some serious rock climbing or something like that they should both be more than capable of handling most situations.

Reactions: JDGreens

Cpol

Rank IX
Launch Member

World Traveler III

Jackson Heights, Queens, NY, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Pol
Member #

Love the tacomaB4F1B8FF-F429-4627-9B56-A3D3040482F9.jpeg
Wife and I are kicking around the Idea of getting something new for the purpose of roadtrips and some overland style of travel. I would love to sell my f-150 (2 wheel drive) in favor of a Tocoma or my dream vehicle a JL Rubicon. Also thinking of getting a Rav-4 (keeping my Xj) But that is a move we will make in about 5 years. For now my Xj gets the overland stuff and her car (Ford Focus) or the F-150 for our road trips. I am really happy with my Xj for wheeling and overlanding, as it has taken me all over the state and we did the Rim Rocker Trail from Montrose to Moab with no issues, but I would rather have something with a little more creature comforts if I have to drive it every day or road tripping across the country.

Reactions: Mike P

Spooky08

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Navarre, Florida, United States
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Hendrickson
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
You'll find out real quick as soon as you hop into one. I haven't climbed into and older one lately but I've only heard about the seat height issue on the new models. And like I said while noticeable it certainly isn't an issue for me yet.

Reactions: RatRod46

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

RatRod46,
We bought the 2018 Tacoma, DC, SB, TRD-Offroad. I'm 6' have plenty of leg, arm, neck room. It's the Mrs. daily driver, that we are building out as our "GO DO" vehicle. She's been getting 22mpg here in town. I romped on it last weekend, we did a 170 mile round-trip and I got 19.5mpg.
Plenty of Power, Locking Rear Diff, Crawl Control, Adaptive Cruise, impressively quiet... In return for trading in the Subaru Forester, I got the 88 62 Series LandCruiser back. Come December I will have had that truck for 1/2 my life. It's always brought us home. DG

Last edited:
Reactions: RatRod46

RatRod46

Rank 0

Traveler I

Just my opinion, but I had an XJ and sold it for a 3rd gen 4Runner. I have been nothing but happy with the 4Runner and would never consider switching back to an XJ. I thought the difference in build quality was night and day. As far as the independent suspension vs solid axles...I think you’ll be surprised how far IFS will take you. I also sleep inside the rig, so there was a lot more room in the 4Runner.
What kind of mpg are you getting out of your 3rd gen 4runner?