SW Idaho Overlanding

• HTML tutorial

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Oregon Geology Tour Day 5

SW Idaho joins another adventure. Meeting up with trip planner and other adventurers we head into central Oregon to spend the next 5 days exploring. Ride along with us on this Oregon Geology Tour. This episode includes John Day Fossil Beds Center and James Cant Ranch.

This is the last episode of this trip. Enjoy! See you on the trails, George.

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
SW Idaho Overlanding takes Coyote Works invite and joins him on his 2019 Invitational trip.

Join us, and 101 other vehicles, as we venture into Central Oregon for a 3 day trip with Casey. Coyote Works shows us one of his special places in his back yard. So hit the trails and lets see what there is to see in this vast open space Casey calls home.

Day 1

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Winter Wonderland III
Jan 25, 2020
Time: 7:00am
Meet Place: Dan's Ferry Service, 1984 ID-45, Melba, ID 83641.
Destination: Owyhee front
Estimated Duration: 1 days
Estimated Distance: 117 Dan's to Dan's
Comms Channels: HAM=146.480, GRMS=17, CB=13
Zello Channel (phone app): SW Idaho Overlanding and 4x4

Time to ring in the New Year and Decade!

I will be heading out to see some new and old sites. Pulling from one of my first trips and adding a few extra "points of interest" should make for a full day of fun in the Owyhee front.

Not expecting anything too challenging on this trip unless winter weather throws some snow/mud our way. Could be mud, snow and some narrow two track. Some routes are not known, could be blocked and may require backtracking. That is the challenge of the Owyhee front though. Looking to see some cool historical spots as well as natural.

If you are getting cabin fever this could be the trip for you!

This is not a guided tour and all who attend are ultimately responsible for their own safety. I am not responsible for damage, injury and or death. You partake under your own free will knowing the dangers of such activities.

See you on the Trails, George.

Attachments

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Dang.

I got all the way to writing it in on the calendar. Nothing written in yet for January 26--I should be golden!

Then it occurred to me, there is nothing at all written in on this calendar. It's brand new. Hmmm... "Hey, Varmint #1, when is Academic Decathlon?"

Guess what? January 25th.

Dang.

So close...

Reactions: GHCOE

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Dang.

I got all the way to writing it in on the calendar. Nothing written in yet for January 26--I should be golden!

Then it occurred to me, there is nothing at all written in on this calendar. It's brand new. Hmmm... "Hey, Varmint #1, when is Academic Decathlon?"

Guess what? January 25th.

Dang.

So close...
Missed it by that much.... Sorry! Maybe next trip.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
You planning to make it out on this one?
No I don’t think I will be able to make this one... I have work to do to the Bronco yet to get her to where I need her to be to make long trips like that... I’m in the works of securing a shop to work out of to get my water pump sealed up. It’s too cold for the RTV to set up correctly.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
No I don’t think I will be able to make this one... I have work to do to the Bronco yet to get her to where I need her to be to make long trips like that... I’m in the works of securing a shop to work out of to get my water pump sealed up. It’s too cold for the RTV to set up correctly.
Yeah, I hear that. I've got a bunch of stuff I want to do to mine, including build a sleeping platform, shackles and torsion bar adjustment, and build a swing out tire carrier and roof basket. I just need to find a weekend to get it up to my buddies shop.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Yeah, I hear that. I've got a bunch of stuff I want to do to mine, including build a sleeping platform, shackles and torsion bar adjustment, and build a swing out tire carrier and roof basket. I just need to find a weekend to get it up to my buddies shop.
Sounds like you are in the same boat as me. Who knows though, I might make it down if the weather changes between now and then.

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Ok, finally getting some dates down for this years adventures. These are mostly multi-day trips that I am planning or planning to attended at this point. More day trips and possibly a couple more over nighters may be included at a later date.

Jan 25 Winter Wonderland III 117 Miles (Dan's Ferry Service to Dan's Ferry Service)

I usually plan the first trip of the year around the end of January, beginning of February.

Weather can still be a issue so I tend to stay low in the valley to avoid heavy snow. Although the last two years have been virtually snow free that does not mean this year will be. I am still not expecting deep snow for this trip and the route can be altered if need be. The only place that could be a issue is a gradual 4.5 mile climb from 3600 to 4400 feet. Last time I did this trip it was a beautiful view of the valley and Owyhees during this stretch. This trip will be finished off with a unique location which people should be prepared to hike, if they want to partake. Weather is up in the air for this trip so prepare accordingly, I will be monitoring. Trails could be frozen to muddy. I have driven a big portion of this route before, but have added short sections that I have not driven. Be prepared for two tracks with possible tight sections.

Apr 17-20 Stinking Water 200 miles (Wilder Idaho to Buchanan Oregon)

Planning a 4 day trip for this one, but possibly could turn out to be only 3 days. How many days depends on trails, trail conditions, trail access and time spent at planned locations.

Some trips early last year were scouting trips into a area I have previously had no idea what to expect. With two trips that barely scratched the surface it intrigued me enough to do a full expedition into the unknown. This part of eastern Oregon, I feel, does not get much travel so here we go. I believe road conditions to be from two track to fairly well used roads. One stretch of trail may require some trail improvements such as limb removal. This stretch also may need to be bypassed altogether if conditions get too bad. I hope not, for I have high hopes for this section of trail. Planned visits include a cave, old homesteads, reservoir, historical places, ect.

Jun 5-9 Mordor v.5.0 400-500 miles (estimated Boise to Boise)

Mordor is back for the fifth year!

This is not a trip that I planned, but all are welcome to attend.
This trip is a return to the Central Idaho landscape with a planned visit to a obscure indian cave and historical road in the lava flows of central Idaho. I believe this is a base camp style adventure with one planned move. Even though there are planned trips I will be adding a few other outings in case there is too much down time. Plan to hike or mountain bike for portions of this trip if you want to partake in these activities. Plenty of off road adventures can be substituted if hiking and biking are not your forte.

Jul 9-13 Ruby 660 miles (Boise to Boise)

Ruby, a 5 day adventure, has been in the works for a couple of years. This is the year to pull the trigger. Luckily it did take this long to plan since I was able to add another destination to it that I previously did not know about.

Planned later in the year than I usually like, but necessary to be able to clear passes and to hike to high points (9500 feet). You don't have to hike if you don't want to partake, but plan on some down time if the case. There will be plenty of cool sites to see though. I will probably hike some, but there are plenty of hiking trails in the area with different levels of difficulty if that is your forte.
A few known and unknown mining camps will be included in this adventure so bring a camera and take in some history!

This trip is going to be a bit tight for 5 days since I plan a entire day just at one location. The hope is to make the fist destination the first day. It might make for a long day of travel, but that is what overlanding is all about, right? I have chosen a more interesting route in that could be a slow moving, tight trail with limb removal possible. Another short section is two track and a possible steep section no more than a few miles. Could be bypassed if not wanting to partake on this section. All other roads should be good forest roads by this time of the year, sorry....

Sep 26,27 Panels and Homesteads 280 miles (Boise to Boise)

Nearly hunting season so it is time to head out and see some sites.

A simple over nighter into the Bennetts of Idaho. More a scout trip with some points of interest. How many I don't know since some sites may not be accessible due to private property. Bypasses are planned for such a misfortune, but the trip should still have plenty of substance to be fun. One hike of 1/2 mile is planned to see some panels... Planned camp spot is a place we have camped before in some rocks, yes you know the spot if you attended the "I Wanna Rock" trip.

Well that is what is planned, but stay tuned to the thread in case something changes. I will post trips individually as they get closer. I figured this will help those that want to attend trips this year to plan their calendars.

Last edited:

shortbus4x4

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Adding them to my calendar. Might make next weekend but depends on the roads and weather between north Idaho and south Idaho.

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Thanks to all who showed up for the adventure. Had a lot of fun today. I will try to post up some pictures tomorrow. George.

Reactions: M Rose

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Way cool.

Bummed I didn't get to go, but OTOH, I got pictures of Varmint #1 picking up 3 medals at the Academic Decathlon. Those opportunities are harder to come by.

But we are going to make at least one of those trips you have planned for later in the year.

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Way cool.

Bummed I didn't get to go, but OTOH, I got pictures of Varmint #1 picking up 3 medals at the Academic Decathlon. Those opportunities are harder to come by.

But we are going to make at least one of those trips you have planned for later in the year.
Sounds good. Looking forward to sharing the trail with you. George.

Reactions: Anak