Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I WANNA ROCK! Day 1 is up!

SW Idaho Overlanding is in search of rocks.

Join us as we head to South Central Idaho to find some interesting rocks. Some are big rocks and some are small rocks. Some rocks have holes in them and some rocks are towering. A couple of times we are in rock! One thing you will see in these videos are rocks, in many shapes and sizes. So "rock on" and join us on this adventure and you too will WANNA ROCK by time it is over.

Day 1

I WANNA ROCK. Spectacular views. Once again George, another great video.

Reactions: GHCOE

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
The video didn't really capture a few things about this trail. OMFG was there a lot of rocks. Also, the hill towards the end was MUCH steeper than it looks in the video (or at least it felt that way). Also, the mound about half way in certainly felt a lot taller than it looked in this video.

Reactions: GHCOE and M Rose

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
The video didn't really capture a few things about this trail. OMFG was there a lot of rocks. Also, the hill towards the end was MUCH steeper than it looks in the video (or at least it felt that way). Also, the mound about half way in certainly felt a lot taller than it looked in this video.
Ah....yes! The trail that convinced you that you needed something taller....

Reactions: reaver

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
I WANNA ROCK! Day 2 Part 1 is up!

Join us on day 2 as we find some interesting rocks. Some are big rocks and some are small rocks. Some rocks have holes in them and some rocks are towering. We even find a Rock Labyrinth! One thing you will see in these videos are rocks, in many shapes and sizes. So "rock on" and join us on this adventure and you too will WANNA ROCK by time it is over.

shortbus4x4

Rank II

Enthusiast III

I WANNA ROCK! Day 2 Part 1 is up!

Join us on day 2 as we find some interesting rocks. Some are big rocks and some are small rocks. Some rocks have holes in them and some rocks are towering. We even find a Rock Labyrinth! One thing you will see in these videos are rocks, in many shapes and sizes. So "rock on" and join us on this adventure and you too will WANNA ROCK by time it is over.

Watched it last night. Beautiful country.

Reactions: GHCOE

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Well it looks as though the Apr 12-20 Stinking Water trip will have to be postponed. Jeep is still down for repairs and things are not going to come together for this trip in time. This virus thing is really causing issues too so I will look at this one again for this fall or worst case scenario next spring.

(Cancelled) Apr 17-20 Stinking Water 200 miles (Wilder Idaho to Buchanan Oregon)

Planning a 4 day trip for this one, but possibly could turn out to be only 3 days. How many days depends on trails, trail conditions, trail access and time spent at planned locations.

Some trips early last year were scouting trips into a area I have previously had no idea what to expect. With two trips that barely scratched the surface it intrigued me enough to do a full expedition into the unknown. This part of eastern Oregon, I feel, does not get much travel so here we go. I believe road conditions to be from two track to fairly well used roads. One stretch of trail may require some trail improvements such as limb removal. This stretch also may need to be bypassed altogether if conditions get too bad. I hope not, for I have high hopes for this section of trail. Planned visits include a cave, old homesteads, reservoir, historical places, ect.

These trips, at this time, are still planned.

Jun 5-9 Mordor v.5.0 400-500 miles (estimated Boise to Boise)

Mordor is back for the fifth year!

This is not a trip that I planned, but all are welcome to attend.
This trip is a return to the Central Idaho landscape with a planned visit to a obscure indian cave and historical road in the lava flows of central Idaho. I believe this is a base camp style adventure with one planned move. Even though there are planned trips I will be adding a few other outings in case there is too much down time. Plan to hike or mountain bike for portions of this trip if you want to partake in these activities. Plenty of off road adventures can be substituted if hiking and biking are not your forte.

Jul 9-13 Ruby 660 miles (Boise to Boise)

Ruby, a 5 day adventure, has been in the works for a couple of years. This is the year to pull the trigger. Luckily it did take this long to plan since I was able to add another destination to it that I previously did not know about.

Planned later in the year than I usually like, but necessary to be able to clear passes and to hike to high points (9500 feet). You don't have to hike if you don't want to partake, but plan on some down time if the case. There will be plenty of cool sites to see though. I will probably hike some, but there are plenty of hiking trails in the area with different levels of difficulty if that is your forte.
A few known and unknown mining camps will be included in this adventure so bring a camera and take in some history!

This trip is going to be a bit tight for 5 days since I plan a entire day just at one location. The hope is to make the first destination the first day. It might make for a long day of travel, but that is what overlanding is all about, right? I have chosen a more interesting route in that could be a slow moving, tight trail with limb removal possible. Another short section is two track and a possible steep section no more than a few miles. Could be bypassed if not wanting to partake on this section. All other roads should be good forest roads by this time of the year, sorry....

Sep 26,27 Panels and Homesteads 280 miles (Boise to Boise)

Nearly hunting season so it is time to head out and see some sites.

A simple over nighter into the Bennetts of Idaho. More a scout trip with some points of interest. How many I don't know since some sites may not be accessible due to private property. Bypasses are planned for such a misfortune, but the trip should still have plenty of substance to be fun. One hike of 1/2 mile is planned to see some panels... Planned camp spot is a place we have camped before in some rocks, yes you know the spot if you attended the "I Wanna Rock" trip.

Well that is what is planned, but stay tuned to the thread in case something changes. I will post trips individually as they get closer. I figured this will help those that want to attend trips this year to plan their calendars.

Reactions: Sparksalot

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
I have had some inquiry on how the Jeep repairs are going as well as some build info. This is a quick video on what I found, were I am at and what is planned in the build.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Is that a TP stockpile I spy?

:tonguewink:

Nice to see the plans for the motor. I especially appreciate the surge tank. I was looking into this 20 years ago for my '73 Burb and that surge tank was the exact thing I wanted and couldn't find. Nice to see they are out there now.

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Actually I think you see the paper towel supply, but yes TP is behind that. We had that way before any of this corona scare. We purchase TP and paper towels when they go on sale and we buy enough to get us by till the next sale. Lucky we just stocked up before all this came about. Who knew that TP would be the hot ticket. I figured I was helping out everyone since I already had what I needed so I was not risking myself being out and about, and that left more for the people who needed it worse than I did. Stay safe.