Launch Member

Pioneer II

Urbandale, IA 50323, USA
First Name
Doran
Last Name
Else
Member #

I must say, that its nice to see the Renegade's starting to get some aftermarket love. When the Jeep Commander retires, I'll be seriously looking at them. There's youtube video of them going over Black Bear Pass in stock form...that's good enough for me!

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
Is your paint bubbling and coming off anywhere on your Escape? I did a quick R/T from Idaho to Bozeman, MT yesterday and another 6x6"sheet of paint peeled off.

Reactions: OuterLimits

OuterLimits

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Macho Grande
Member #

Is your paint bubbling and coming off anywhere on your Escape? I did a quick R/T from Idaho to Bozeman, MT yesterday and another 6x6"sheet of paint peeled off.
Overall, the paint has been solid. The only problem area has been the top of the rear hatch. There is a small strip (1"x 3") that separated from the primer a few years back. I prepped it, masked it, and sprayed it. Just recently another 1"x 1" piece separated immediately adjacent to the previous repair. That's on my summer "to-do" list now. Thankfully it's in a non-visible spot, so my amateur paint work isn't noticeable.

6" x 6" Yikes!!! Sorry to hear that. I've seen this happen to a lot of different car brands here in CA. I've always suspected it was due to environmentally safer/ functionally inferior, paint. Or maybe just lousy paint prep.

Cheers, TR

Last edited:

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
Fr
Overall, the paint has been solid. The only problem area has been the top of the rear hatch. There is a small strip (1"x 3") that separated from the primer a few years back. I prepped it, masked it, and sprayed it. Just recently another 1"x 1" piece separated immediately adjacent to the previous repair. That's on my summer "to-do" list. Thankfully it's in a non-visible spot, so my amateur paint work isn't noticeable.

6" x 6" Yikes!!! Sorry to hear that. I've seen this happen to a lot of different car brands here in CA. I've always suspected it was due to environmentally safer/ functionally inferior, paint. Or maybe just lousy paint prep.

Cheers, TR
Oh, I really don't care anymore. The rear hatch is where mine started, about 6 years ago. It really got bad once it was no longer garaged. From what I've read and paint guys talkin', the clear coat process was defective. I've noticed it more the on champagne/tan color Escapes more than any other color. At this point I'm just doing a Marpat theme, works well living in the Idaho woods. :)

Have a good one.

-Britz

Mikeyleigh

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Clarksville Va
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Conner
Member #

things i plan on doing with the zoozoo are a 2 inch lift because its got hard bits hanging lot. if i can find someon to do some frame work on the rear frame to strengthen it due to a bad undercoating from the factory on all the 98 amigo's. sticking with the stock size tires, because its an old tired four banger. 168 k on it when i bought it. its got a kayak rack on it so thats good i dont have to add one. so getting a radio in it and figure out what tools and spares i should have triag kit fire putter outer, then on to the hard stuff. whether to run with the top on or off. and try not ot bounce off any trees.. i think this ting will be ideal for easy trails and fire roading. of course being on the east coast there are few and far between on both of those. i dont think it will have the power to do any hard trails. but we shall see. if the new head ever shows up.
i like the things i am seeing on these smaller rig shots though.. as for the new renagade. i think next month on dirt every day they will put one being put through its paces through some pretty heavy terrain out in so-cal. it was already put up on the paid web site. and they usually put things up on the youtube about a month after.. its under the motortrend magazines group pages. i got there watching roadkill on youtube then subscribing on the motor trend web site. to me it was worth 50 bucks a year to see junk being made to run again and then trying to get it home.. funny as heck..
oh ignore my spelling. i think lots faster then i type and the cat likes to help me type.