Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Thanks for the info I was going to go the same route with the lift and tires but now might stick with the stock size 225/65/17.
That's just the largest someone can go on a 4th gen because the 5th gen can wear 235/65 17s no problem. The largest you can go is 245/65 17 which is what I run.

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
That's just the largest someone can go on a 4th gen because the 5th gen can wear 235/65 17s no problem. The largest you can go is 245/65 17 which is what I run.
Thanks for that as I really wanted the 235's. Guess I'll wait for the tires till after it is lifted and check clearances.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Thanks for that as I really wanted the 235's. Guess I'll wait for the tires till after it is lifted and check clearances.
No problem. You'll have nothing to worry about at all and it'll look better with the lift.

Reactions: Terry Pickens

RealMcCoy

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rhode Island
Member #

So I have to ask. How much stress is getting put on the CV axles because of the lift? I would love a lift on my 17 Outback but don't want shorten the life span of the CV axles and other driveline parts . Also some of the overland books I read recommend keep your vehicle suspension and engine as stock as possible. This helps with reliability. Thanks

Outback_Fan

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Wagoner, OK
Member #

Absolutely love that I found Overland Bound!

Just getting started on my '16 Outback Limited 2.5l

2" LP AVENTURE lift

245/65/17 BF Goodrich KO2's

Montegi MR118's

Yakima LoadWarrior

Cusco Tow Hooks

RallyArmor Black/Gray mud flaps

Near Future...

Full skid plates

Curt Class III hitch

Front/Rear lights

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Outback_Fan

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Wagoner, OK
Member #

So I have to ask. How much stress is getting put on the CV axles because of the lift? I would love a lift on my 17 Outback but don't want shorten the life span of the CV axles and other driveline parts . Also some of the overland books I read recommend keep your vehicle suspension and engine as stock as possible. This helps with reliability. Thanks
While I have no doubt that just taking it off road can prematurely wear out parts, with the proper lift kit with multi link spacers, you should have no issue with early wear. I used lp aventure's 2" lift on my '16 Outback, but Anderson Lift kits are great too! With the multi link spacers, they set your rear wheels back to the original camber required for correct alignment! So no worries!

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Nice looking Outback @Outback_Fan. Looking forward to seeing what else you have planned for yours.

While I have no doubt that just taking it off road can prematurely wear out parts, with the proper lift kit with multi link spacers, you should have no issue with early wear. I used lp aventure's 2" lift on my '16 Outback, but Anderson Lift kits are great too! With the multi link spacers, they set your rear wheels back to the original camber required for correct alignment! So no worries
By using the rear subframe spacers the lift effectively has zero effect on the CVs but not because of camber or wheel placement. The subframe spacers keep the CV angle the same as OE. The front is a different story and I'm not losing any sleep over it. Regardless of the lift there are already plenty of claims that the OE front axles aren't exactly fantastic on our gen.

Reactions: RealMcCoy

RealMcCoy

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rhode Island
Member #

Nice looking Outback [eUSER=8346]@Outback_Fan[/USER]. Looking forward to seeing what else you have planned for yours.

By using the rear subframe spacers the lift effectively has zero effect on the CVs but not because of camber or wheel placement. The subframe spacers keep the CV angle the same as OE. The front is a different story and I'm not losing any sleep over it. Regardless of the lift there are already plenty of claims that the OE front axles aren't exactly fantastic on our gen.
Thanks for the input guys. I didn't know in the rear you could use subframe spacers. That's good to know. Do they make stronger aftermarket front axles or should you just plan on replacing them? I have this problem on my truck and I decided I would just replace them sooner then normal.

RealMcCoy

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rhode Island
Member #

Absolutely love that I found Overland Bound!

Just getting started on my '16 Outback Limited 2.5l

2" LP AVENTURE lift

245/65/17 BF Goodrich KO2's

Montegi MR118's

Yakima LoadWarrior

Cusco Tow Hooks

RallyArmor Black/Gray mud flaps

Near Future...

Full skid plates

Curt Class III hitch

Front/Rear lights

Wow that look awesome!

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Thanks for the input guys. I didn't know in the rear you could use subframe spacers. That's good to know. Do they make stronger aftermarket front axles or should you just plan on replacing them? I have this problem on my truck and I decided I would just replace them sooner then normal.
No reason to change them early. I recently talked to a guy who just had to replace a front at 60k on his 5th gen so just run them until they're toast. By then we'll all have a better idea on axle options.

Outback_Fan

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Wagoner, OK
Member #

Nice looking Outback @Outback_Fan. Looking forward to seeing what else you have planned for yours.

I should probably stop posting late at night. LOL I'm not sure what I was thinking.

Michael Altman...on-road pro, off-road noob.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I should probably stop posting late at night. LOL I'm not sure what I was thinking.

Michael Altman...on-road pro, off-road noob.
Haha no worries. So what's next for yours?

Oh wow, good to see other subaru owners! I thought there would only be trucks or suvs on here!

I own a 2012 Impreza with a 1" lift kit from Gorilla Offroad.

Later on down the line, I'd like to get an ADF 2" lift kit for it, tires and wheels.
Very nice. There's still a few members I know of who have yet to post on this thread but overall there's a good number of us on here. I've been pleasantly surprised to see the number of Subaru owning members grow.

Reactions: Outback_Fan

Ej Martin

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gray, ME
Member #

Question for subie owners; getting ready to install my CB. Mounting mine in the front - if you've done similar, where did you go thru the firewall?

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
Question for subie owners; getting ready to install my CB. Mounting mine in the front - if you've done similar, where did you go thru the firewall?
Check out tristarforester on instagram. That may help with an idea at least. He just ran a CB.

Outback_Fan

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Wagoner, OK
Member #

Haha no worries. So what's next?
Curt Class 3 hitch with Smittybuilt Shackle this weekend. Yakima rack extension with spare tire mount and full skid plates in the very near future, then I intend to mount a winch and lights before summer is over. Lots to do, so little time and money. lolol

Michael...on-road pro, overland noob.
OB #3706

Outback_Fan

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Wagoner, OK
Member #

Haha no worries. So what's next for yours?
Do you mind if I pick your brain when it comes time to raise it above the already 2" lift? I read your other thread with Grant with his front springs and the Rallitek rears...it will prob be a few months before I am able to do it, but it's good to know others know the way!

Michael...on-road pro, overland noob.
OB #3706

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Happy to see that no matter the group or event there are always Subaru guys and gals out there! 2015 Subaru XV photo is a little old had some red rally armor mud flaps installed and hella horns. Member #3398
Welcome! and nice pic Sandwagon.

Curt Class 3 hitch with Smittybuilt Shackle this weekend. Yakima rack extension with spare tire mount and full skid plates in the very near future, then I intend to mount a winch and lights before summer is over. Lots to do, so little time and money. lolol
Do you mind if I pick your brain when it comes time to raise it above the already 2" lift? I read your other thread with Grant with his front springs and the Rallitek rears...it will prob be a few months before I am able to do it, but it's good to know others know the way!
Feel free to ask questions about any of your plans. I already have most of the mods from your planned list and am still debating on my winch/bumper options.