Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Brendon
Last Name
P
Member #

Hey there! 2015 Crosstrek in Desert Khaki here. Wheels and tires go on this week. I have it set up to handle 2-3 night trips and am trying to keep everything nice and modular since I drive it 20min to work every day. Don’t worry, I climbed up and fixed the rain fly after I took the photo.

19735F54-F01A-44AA-87CF-CEE0C5B40AE2.jpeg

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
It's 3am and oh my god... I need to go to bed... but I just completed my months-long rear Forester swing-out bumper/tire carrier/hitch receiver/whatever. I'm so happy with how this project turned out!

View attachment 135885

Welcome to the club @Gone_xtrkn and @CubanCowboy !!
Dang, that turned out super nice! What are your plans for how you'll use the left swing out?

Reactions: Baipin

SanDiegoMatt

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Diego
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Phillips
Member #

Hey, All: Saw these rad pics and thought I'd toss my rig into the mix. 2018 Impreza with 1 inch lift in front, 1 3/8 inch in rear. 215/65r16 Falken Wildpeak tires. Smittybuilt RTT. Rides and runs good!IMG_1454.jpg

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Dang, that turned out super nice! What are your plans for how you'll use the left swing out?
Thank you!

The left swing out will be a multi-use sort of thing; I have bolt holes so I can attach various stuff, including jerry can holders, a bicycle, gardening tools (We turn disused land into community food gardens)... So pretty much anything. I like the versatility!

Heck, maybe I'll even take this thing back to Subaru's roots and strap on a rumble seat back there... :laughing:

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Thank you!

The left swing out will be a multi-use sort of thing; I have bolt holes so I can attach various stuff, including jerry can holders, a bicycle, gardening tools (We turn disused land into community food gardens)... So pretty much anything. I like the versatility!

Heck, maybe I'll even take this thing back to Subaru's roots and strap on a rumble seat back there... :laughing:
That's what I'm talking about! :laughing:

And talk about versatility - the person in the rumble seat can hold Jerry cans, clean the rear window, discourage tailgaters. The sky's the limit.

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
Just sold my 2002 WRX wagon. Bought it new in 2001. Buyer was a former Subie mechanic and was very excited. Lifted with King springs, KYBs, and General Grabbers. Skids from Primitive. Leather seats, strut tower braces front and rear, intercooler sprayer, Hella Supertones, Borla exhaust, free-flow intake, etc. etc.

Now the only Subie we have is my wife's Outback.
vmacocss05_1130896240934-1-IMG_8389[8885].jpgIMG_8228[8888].jpgIMG_2726[8889].jpgAlbuquerque-20140713-00202.jpgAlbuquerque-20140722-00220.jpgAlbuquerque-20140722-00219.jpg

SanDiegoMatt

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Diego
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Phillips
Member #

Just sold my 2002 WRX wagon. Bought it new in 2001. Buyer was a former Subie mechanic and was very excited. Lifted with King springs, KYBs, and General Grabbers. Skids from Primitive. Leather seats, strut tower braces front and rear, intercooler sprayer, Hella Supertones, Borla exhaust, free-flow intake, etc. etc.

Now the only Subie we have is my wife's Outback.
View attachment 136009View attachment 136008View attachment 136007View attachment 136002View attachment 136006View attachment 136005
That thing is AWESOME! Outback makes a good rig too though!

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
Thanks Matt,
It was a great car!
Biggest problem offroad is the WRX's lack of grunt at the bottom end. I ended up slipping the clutch a lot when going slow and steep. The torque doesn't really build until the higher revs when the turbo is full on. Great for bombing around on dirt roads, though!
The only other issue was a lack of space. When you've got 3 or 4 coolers in there for an elk, there's no room for your hunting buddy!

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
I'm not often in the mood for sharing videos, but damn... I'm impressed:

That's freaking awesome. I was going to proudly say "VDC for the win!" But then I read the description and he's monkeyed with the gearing and has lockers. Oh well, still awesome. :smile:

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

That's freaking awesome. I was going to proudly say "VDC for the win!" But then I read the description and he's monkeyed with the gearing and has lockers. Oh well, still awesome. :smile:
But still, not THAT far from a stock Subaru! It's got a couple lockers, but anyone with a bit of commitment should have no trouble building a similar rig!

Reactions: Jeffrey Dill

Matt9

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bear Valley Springs, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Perkins
Member #

Hi I have a 2018 outback live in the snow and commute. I am looking to up grade my suspension and get a beefy tire. Any suggestions
Signed
Perky

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Hi I have a 2018 outback live in the snow and commute. I am looking to up grade my suspension and get a beefy tire. Any suggestions
Signed
Perky
I use the Falken wildpeak AT3W for my winter/offroad tire on my SJ XT Subaru Forester. I like it a lot, and do commute frequently with this vehicle. It's got a more aggressive tread than a lot of AT tires, not as much as the KO2 though. A good balance, IMO. Obviously, "three-peak-mountain-snowflake" rated since it's my winter tire.

For suspension, I have a 2" front 2.5" rear lift from ADF. Consider springs from Rallitek (stiff) or King (really stiff) too.

SanDiegoMatt

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Diego
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Phillips
Member #

I use the Falken wildpeak AT3W for my winter/offroad tire on my SJ XT Subaru Forester. I like it a lot, and do commute frequently with this vehicle. It's got a more aggressive tread than a lot of AT tires, not as much as the KO2 though. A good balance, IMO. Obviously, "three-peak-mountain-snowflake" rated since it's my winter tire.

For suspension, I have a 2" front 2.5" rear lift from ADF. Consider springs from Rallitek (stiff) or King (really stiff) too.
I have an ADF lift on my Impreza. Great crew up there and they'll answer any questions either via email or phone. Have the Wildpeaks on my car, too. And they are legit. Aggressive, but super-quiet on the highway as well. Loving 'em so far.

Reactions: Baipin

SanDiegoMatt

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Diego
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Phillips
Member #

Howdy everyone,

It's taken me a bit to finally read through this post and I've liked a lot of the vehicles I've seen. I'm glad there's a community of like minded individuals who like to have fun with their Subarus. When I set about modifying my Subaru I was met with a lot of confused looks with a general reply of "Don't people usually lower Imprezas?" Yes they do, but I like to be a special little flower. So I give you my lifted 2011 Impreza Outback Sport.
View attachment 131387View attachment 131388

I've been experiementing with my mods so it's a bit of a mess, but here's what I have as of now.
In the front:
  1. King Springs
  2. 3/8" Strut Hat Spacers (made them out of scrap aluminum)
In the Rear:
  1. King Springs
  2. Outback Strut swap (2" longer than Impreza)
  3. 1.25" Subframe Spacers (made from scrap aluminum)
  4. Control Arms with Camber Adjustment (forgot the manufacturer...)
  5. Primitive Rear Diff Armor
  6. 19mm Whiteline Rear Swaybar (I drive mountain roads A LOT)
Other:
  1. Method Racing M502 15" Rims
  2. General Grabber AT2 205/75R15
  3. Curt Roof Rack
  4. No-name light bar (will be removing soon)
  5. No-name Awning (gift, but it's actually not bad)
Overall I have a decent 10" of clearance in the rear and about 9" in the front. I'd like to hack into the bumper at some point but I just can't get myself to cut away at it. I originally had strut hat spacers of ~1.5" all around 1) I would like to do something like Anderson Design's spacers in the front since I don't want to knock out the studs in the new strut mounts I installed, and 2) the rear is maxed out on lift...for now.

Speaking of tires, I started with the Geolandar G015s and they were great on the road and trail, but I found them lacking in the mud. Their ice/snow performance was okay, but I have limited experience in that environment so I wouldn't trust my input and I was only driving through it for a couple miles at best. What turned me off the most was the wear, I had zero tread after ~30k. So I decided to try the General Grabbers since the guys at dirally seem to like them and they were only $300 for the four. So far I like them, the traction is great on trail, but of course not the best on mountain roads. The road noise is...different. Definitely more howling coming from my car, but with all the wind noise from my roof rack I barely hear it!
Sick ride! Did a similar thing to my 2018 Impreza. 1 inch ADF spacers in front and 1 3/8 ADF spacers in rear. Falken Wildpeaks for me. Surprised at how fast the Geolanders wore down--did you rotate frequently, or mostly commute with them? I have a RTT on my ride...Thinking about the awning. Nice ride!

RoamWithJon

Rank 0

Contributor II

Central Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
R
I'm looking to lift the Trek soon, just wondering if any of you could point out the real difference between the LP Adventures lift, ADF lift kit, and Primitive racing kit. I have heard of other lift kits like Readylift, Rough country, and SubiLiftOZ but I've been leaning towards the ADF kit or the primitive lift just based off of the other Subi guys I've talked to on the facebook forums. The main thing I've been getting is ADF is the way to go, but the Primitive lift with the king springs kinda got me thinking if its a better overall package. Any input appreciated!

SanDiegoMatt

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Diego
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Phillips
Member #

I'm looking to lift the Trek soon, just wondering if any of you could point out the real difference between the LP Adventures lift, ADF lift kit, and Primitive racing kit. I have heard of other lift kits like Readylift, Rough country, and SubiLiftOZ but I've been leaning towards the ADF kit or the primitive lift just based off of the other Subi guys I've talked to on the facebook forums. The main thing I've been getting is ADF is the way to go, but the Primitive lift with the king springs kinda got me thinking if its a better overall package. Any input appreciated!
I've heard good things about both LP Adventure and ADF. Not sure what the difference would be for you...I chose ADF because the price was right for what I wanted. I installed myself and actually called them with a couple questions. Patrick answered right away and guided me through a specific task. Said to call him if I ran into any other trouble, but I didn't (it was New Year's Eve, BTW). I called around to a couple Subaru shops in my region and all had familiarity and good feedback about both companies you list. Sounds like you just need to pick the best kit for what you want! Good luck, man! Love those lifted Crosstreks...

RoamWithJon

Rank 0

Contributor II

Central Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
R
I've heard good things about both LP Adventure and ADF. Not sure what the difference would be for you...I chose ADF because the price was right for what I wanted. I installed myself and actually called them with a couple questions. Patrick answered right away and guided me through a specific task. Said to call him if I ran into any other trouble, but I didn't (it was New Year's Eve, BTW). I called around to a couple Subaru shops in my region and all had familiarity and good feedback about both companies you list. Sounds like you just need to pick the best kit for what you want! Good luck, man! Love those lifted Crosstreks...
I see, I think I’ll go with ADF just based off of everyone’s input and eventually if I need to I’ll upgrade the springs