Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

the funny thing is if you look outside the USA the trailer ratings for Subarus is almost double
I've seen that and thought about it... in a lot of other countries you are required to have special certifications to tow a trailer on highways and major roads. I wouldn't be so concerned about pulling over 8k lbs if I kept it under 45 mph the whole time. Speed and traffic are why you have to pay attention to your GVWR, your GTW (gross trailer weight) and your tongue weight.

If you try to tow over what your vehicle is ready for and then jump on the highway at 70 mph you're going to have problems. Best case scenario, your car is going to be hurting after getting pushed around by the trailer. Most trailer brake controllers are delayed and apply the brakes evenly on both trailer wheels. If you don't have a proportional system that uses accelerometers to automatically slow down your trailer before you touch the brakes the trailer can push your car off the side of the road. Worse case scenario of towing what you are set up to do and going 70 is your trailer will catch a wind and get squirelly, then get the death wobble, and before you can do anything you're trailer is going to roll taking your rig with it.

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Given how many Subarus I see modified for better off-road use out there in the wild and in online videos (just look at all the folks bombing through mud and Jeep trails in the Foresters and Crosstreks. Don't see as many Ford, Honda, or VW cars doing that)... On top of all the Subarus I see carrying something outdoors-related around town (e.g. kayak, bikes, skis); an off-road oriented trim would probably sell well. I know my fair share of people who want something more trail-worthy, but don't have the time or skill to modify it on their own.

Even in spite of all of the above, just look at what Jeep did with the Trailhawk Cherokee and Grand Cherokee. Those things have some serious off road chops, despite being "just" crossovers akin to the Forester:

104246 104249

With that said, it's not to say Subarus can't do any of the stuff pictured above - just look at the videos a few posts back - but it'd sure be a lot easier with a factory-installed diff locker, low range, and better approach angles, as @Nick - Overland Pro Shop said. The two Jeep trims above have those things.

Speaking of diff lockers... Anyone heard much about the Torq Master R160 locker? I know it's in testing now, and should be released within a month, but I'm yet to see results.

Attachments

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Given how many Subarus I see modified for better off-road use out there in the wild and in online videos (just look at all the folks bombing through mud and Jeep trails in the Foresters and Crosstreks. Don't see as many Ford, Honda, or VW cars doing that)... On top of all the Subarus I see carrying something outdoors-related around town (e.g. kayak, bikes, skis); an off-road oriented trim would probably sell well. I know my fair share of people who want something more trail-worthy, but don't have the time or skill to modify it on their own.

Even in spite of all of the above, just look at what Jeep did with the Trailhawk Cherokee and Grand Cherokee. Those things have some serious off road chops, despite being "just" crossovers akin to the Forester:

View attachment 104246 View attachment 104249

With that said, it's not to say Subarus can't do any of the stuff pictured above - just look at the videos a few posts back - but it'd sure be a lot easier with a factory-installed diff locker, low range, and better approach angles, as @Nick - Overland Pro Shop said. The two Jeep trims above have those things.

Speaking of diff lockers... Anyone heard much about the Torq Master R160 locker? I know it's in testing now, and should be released within a month, but I'm yet to see results.
I’ve been looking for news on that as well.

As much as I love my OB, I think the vehicle Subaru should start w/ to make a hardcore off-roader from off the showroom floor is the Crosstrek. It already has a pretty aggro look to it and has a pretty short wheelbase. They’d need to get something that puts out a lot more power than the 175 out of the 2.0 it has now. Beef up the suspension & have it sit higher. Put some more flex in the suspension. Rework the nose to bring the front axle closer to the front. That’d really give it a better approach & the higher sitting rear would help the departure.
The Crosstrek should have been the “Trailhawk” version of the Impreza wagon.

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I’ve been looking for news on that as well.

As much as I love my OB, I think the vehicle Subaru should start w/ to make a hardcore off-roader from off the showroom floor is the Crosstrek. It already has a pretty aggro look to it and has a pretty short wheelbase. They’d need to get something that puts out a lot more power than the 175 out of the 2.0 it has now. Beef up the suspension & have it sit higher. Put some more flex in the suspension. Rework the nose to bring the front axle closer to the front. That’d really give it a better approach & the higher sitting rear would help the departure.
The Crosstrek should have been the “Trailhawk” version of the Impreza wagon.
You make some good points, and I think Subaru might be closer to that sort of Crosstrek than we realize. The plug-in hybrid version of the Crosstrek has, of course, electric motors. Info on its off-road prowess is limited, but from what I've heard - and seen with other electric vehicles - the instant torque of those electric motors would really enhance the vehicle's capability in everything from hill climbs to mounting larger obstacles (i.e. rock gardens). A high torque Crosstrek + a greater towing capacity + a basecamp trailer would be a helluva' lot of fun!

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

You make some good points, and I think Subaru might be closer to that sort of Crosstrek than we realize. The plug-in hybrid version of the Crosstrek has, of course, electric motors. Info on its off-road prowess is limited, but from what I've heard - and seen with other electric vehicles - the instant torque of those electric motors would really enhance the vehicle's capability in everything from hill climbs to mounting larger obstacles (i.e. rock gardens). A high torque Crosstrek + a greater towing capacity + a basecamp trailer would be a helluva' lot of fun!
The general size of it would keep its towing capacity low. Especially if you shorten the wheelbase. I think it would be awesome to have a diesel. Is there such a thing as a diesel boxer?

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

The general size of it would keep its towing capacity low. Especially if you shorten the wheelbase. I think it would be awesome to have a diesel. Is there such a thing as a diesel boxer?
I've seen people tow ultralight trailers no more than 1500 lbs behind a Crosstrek, which I think is their capacity. You can definitely get some livable space to walk around and sleep in for that kind of weight (though you'd have to be careful towing something like that off road at least with the relatively low-powered engines presently in the Crosstrek.

Diesel engines do exist though! The FA20 DIT comes in a diesel variant in Europe. Really wish that were a thing over here...

Last edited:

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

I've seen people tow ultralight trailers no more than 1500 lbs behind a Crosstrek, which I think is their capacity. You can definitely get some livable space to walk around and sleep in for that kind of eright (though you'd have to be careful towing something like that off road at least with the relatively low-powered engines presently in the Crosstrek.

Diesel engines do exist though! The FA20 DIT comes in a diesel variant in Europe. Really wish that were a thing over here...

Very true. The trailer brake controller I got is actually designed w/ the ability to do that kind of stuff in mind. It even talks about it having a user function mode that says in the literature: “...particularly beneficial when overlanding or towing a trailer off-road...”

https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Redarc/331-EBRH-ACCV2.html

Reactions: Baipin

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Very true. The trailer brake controller I got is actually designed w/ the ability to do that kind of stuff in mind. It even talks about it having a user function mode that says in the literature: “...particularly beneficial when overlanding or towing a trailer off-road...”

Redarc Tow-Pro Elite Trailer Brake Controller - 1 to 3 Axles - Proportional Redarc Brake Controller
Very handy to know, thank you. I'm still not sure if I'm in the "tow your home" or "put your home in your rig and its roof" camp.

On one hand, towing lets you take a larger living space and more stuff with you, plus leave it as your basecamp while you venture out in your vehicle. That said, it's poorer off-road: I worry about getting bogged in mud I could otherwise drive through without a trailer in tow.

For a rooftop tent, I've got everything all in one nimble vehicle - no trailer to worry about (and if you cut a hole in the bottom of the rooftop tent, you've got an area to stand up in/access your sleeping space from inside the vehicle). Also, I've already built an entire kitchen, fridge, and storage into my Forester, so a trailer would be somewhat redundant. Plus, I figure I'd do less driving, more biking/walking/kayaking to move around camp.

Always something to think about... :)

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Very handy to know, thank you. I'm still not sure if I'm in the "tow your home" or "put your home in your rig and its roof" camp.

On one hand, towing lets you take a larger living space and more stuff with you, plus leave it as your basecamp while you venture out in your vehicle. That said, it's poorer off-road: I worry about getting bogged in mud I could otherwise drive through without a trailer in tow.

For a rooftop tent, I've got everything all in one nimble vehicle - no trailer to worry about (and if you cut a hole in the bottom of the rooftop tent, you've got an area to stand up in/access your sleeping space from inside the vehicle). Also, I've already built an entire kitchen, fridge, and storage into my Forester, so a trailer would be somewhat redundant. Plus, I figure I'd do less driving, more biking/walking/kayaking to move around camp.

Always something to think about... :)
The only thing I’d be towing would be my boat - once I get to an area, I usually get a ranger to let me park up my trailer somewhere or I rent a slip at a marina. It really only goes on my Overland trips maybe 20% of the trips.

I don’t use a roof tent. I have gotten so I can store all of my gear efficiently into weatherproof totes that I can stack in the back of my car or I can put them in the roof basket. When I get to where I want to camp, I have a nice hammock tent w/ the bugscreen & rainfly that I run between my roof basket & a nearby tree.

Having a teardrop would be neat, but in the end it would just be an unnecessary hassle. I like traveling light.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

In one photo it looks like you have orange straps wrapped around the undeployed awning and then in another photo where you have w/ the awning out you have a step ladder w/ an angle grinder sitting on it & what looks to be an extra piece of tubing/pipe/frame laying beside the car. Did you build the awning yourself? If you did, that is seriously good work & I’d like to know the time & cost invested to do something like that.

thinkinjose

Rank 0

Contributor I

Winchester, CA, USA
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Maldonado
In one photo it looks like you have orange straps wrapped around the undeployed awning and then in another photo where you have w/ the awning out you have a step ladder w/ an angle grinder sitting on it & what looks to be an extra piece of tubing/pipe/frame laying beside the car. Did you build the awning yourself? If you did, that is seriously good work & I’d like to know the time & cost invested to do something like that.
Yes the awning was built using 3/4" electrical conduit and a 8'x6' tarp bolted together I found a DIY video on YouTube

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Yes the awning was built using 3/4" electrical conduit and a 8'x6' tarp bolted together I found a DIY video on YouTube

That is pretty sweet... It does the job and that is what counts. If you are looking at options for storage while you are in motion you should check out bimini top boots that are used on boats. I just replaced one and they are pretty much just a good piece of canvas-like material that wraps all the way around and the two sides zip together. Should keep you from having to worry about flapping straps or your tarp piece catching wind and getting torn up. Here is a 96" one from Overton's.

thinkinjose

Rank 0

Contributor I

Winchester, CA, USA
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Maldonado
That is pretty sweet... It does the job and that is what counts. If you are looking at options for storage while you are in motion you should check out bimini top boots that are used on boats. I just replaced one and they are pretty much just a good piece of canvas-like material that wraps all the way around and the two sides zip together. Should keep you from having to worry about flapping straps or your tarp piece catching wind and getting torn up. Here is a 96" one from Overton's.
I'm making a cover with waterproof canvas type material with straps that go around and clip together

thinkinjose

Rank 0

Contributor I

Winchester, CA, USA
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Maldonado
The awning cover 20190621_234401.jpeg20190621_235057.jpeg20190621_235515.jpeg20190621_235916.jpeg

JeffnMar

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oregon
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

The only thing I’d be towing would be my boat - once I get to an area, I usually get a ranger to let me park up my trailer somewhere or I rent a slip at a marina. It really only goes on my Overland trips maybe 20% of the trips.

I don’t use a roof tent. I have gotten so I can store all of my gear efficiently into weatherproof totes that I can stack in the back of my car or I can put them in the roof basket. When I get to where I want to camp, I have a nice hammock tent w/ the bugscreen & rainfly that I run between my roof basket & a nearby tree.

Having a teardrop would be neat, but in the end it would just be an unnecessary hassle. I like traveling light.
I have a 2019 premium , added an eco hitch for towing and have had ZERO issues pulling my 5x8 enclosed trailer. The trailer empty weighs in at 700lbs , and leaves me enough room to take a quick trip,to Home Depot picking up some lumber or heading out on my next OB adventure with my kayaks on top.

I have a RTT on an upgraded Yakima system ( let’s face it , the stock rails suck for this type of application), and will tow the trailer mainly to haul my yaks and a cooler . I watch the tongue weight like a hawk and my trailer weight and GVW which includes passengers .

So far so good pulling this set up over the cascades without issue. Mind you I am not in the fast lane passing cars, but keep up well using the paddle shifters over steeper inclines .

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
OK, got it back home and I must say Stellar did some fine work on these bumpers. Well triangulated and the tow points are braced straight back into the mounting points on the body. Dual swing rear carrier is solid and when you try to move the tire it moves the whole car. I'm very satisfied with the work they did on this custom bumper. Now I must massage the front skid plate so it won't grade the trail.
More photos over on my build post, see signature below.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

OK, got it back home and I must say Stellar did some fine work on these bumpers. Well triangulated and the tow points are braced straight back into the mounting points on the body. Dual swing rear carrier is solid and when you try to move the tire it moves the whole car. I'm very satisfied with the work they did on this custom bumper. Now I must massage the front skid plate so it won't grade the trail.
View attachment 104772
View attachment 104773
View attachment 104774
More photos over on my build post, see signature below.
That thing looks pretty amazing. I’m on mobile so I can’t view your build post right now - but where are your rock sliders from?

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

LP out of Canada. They are doing a lot of mods that are being sold at US dealers now. Dealer installed options.
Right on - I just noticed that Primitive is now selling sliders for my model as well. I was planning on getting the LP set or getting a buddy who does some fabrication work to try to figure it out, but the Primitive set is close to half the price of the LP set.

Reactions: Juan Huaman