Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Subaru’s definitely have their limitations out of the box @OrTrek but to me it’s all part of the fun. I’ve always enjoyed doing things a little different haha. Admittedly there are some things I just can’t alter or correct. Low range would be great but I’ve gotten by without it. Locking diffs would also be great but I’m fortunate and the 5th gen Outback has X mode which is now an option on the Crosstrek. X mode, like everything else, has its limitations but I can honestly say it’s impressed myself and others on many occasions. Approach angle is a bastard haha. It’s the penance all newer vehicles pay for mpg and there are unfortunately only a few solutions. Lift, cut, or custom. I occasionally still think about a custom bumper but I’ve been content with what I gained through my lift and I won’t hesitate to abuse my bumper guard haha.

At the end of the day I could easily just buy a Jeep or something like it but what would I be giving up? I daily drive it and still get 23-25 mpg as it sits. It’s still quiet, comfortable, and rides great. It’s a lot easier to load things on the roof and that’s not the only benefit of a low roofline. With over a foot of clearance under my Outback I can still park in my garage with everything I normally keep on the roof. It has many redeeming qualities and I could keep going but I’m sure you get my point. It’s a compromise which means it’s a good fit for a lot of people but not all.

Reactions: Rocky and OrTrek

brian0128

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Glen Burnie, Maryland
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Ogle
Member #

This is our (my wife's daily) 2017 Outback 3.6. Our 4Runner gets used for anything rougher than dirt or forest roads but for most of the state forest roads in PA we take the Outback. It's a 2017 Outback 3.6. We have a few sets of tires and wheels for it depending on the use (Geolander's, Blizzak's, and Firehawk Wide Oval's) but other than that it's mostly stock. My wife does want to mount some awning mounts to the factory tie down points on the OEM rails so that we can move our ARB awning over to it for the Subaru Trips.

Cole B.

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

South Orange County CA
First Name
Cole
Last Name
Beshore
Member #

Hello, I am excited to be apart of the community. I have a Subaru Tribeca. I am in the process of making it a more capable overland vehicle, however, I am coming to see that there is not much out there in the way of lift kits, etc. for it. Is there anyone else out there with some knowledge about off-roading a Subaru Tribeca?

Buddy Molway

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Irvine Ca
Member #

Hello, I am excited to be apart of the community. I have a Subaru Tribeca. I am in the process of making it a more capable overland vehicle, however, I am coming to see that there is not much out there in the way of lift kits, etc. for it. Is there anyone else out there with some knowledge about off-roading a Subaru Tribeca?
Welcome

tyleromyah

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hey, i'm late to the party! I'm Tyler. Wr are from Rexburg, Idaho which is in the south east region of the state. Some of you already follow me on IG, but for those that don't, it's @tyleromyah. If you ever find yourself out this way, give me a holler!!

Here is out 2007 fxt..
Invidia downpipe
Prodrive turboback exhaust
Drop in k&n air filter
Cobb tune (once the motor needs rebuilt, i will have it correctly protuned)

2" adf lift
15" methods
215/75/15 bfg a/t ko2
Reese cargo basket (it has impressed me)
Smittybilt 6x6 awning
2 led pods mounted under the awning for camp light
Axe/shovel mount
32" light bar
Led pods/custom mounts for brush lights (mounted to side mirrors)
Adf molle racks
Fully functional kitchen

Just purchased a 23zero RTT, haven't thrown it on yet. Purchased at CBI Offroad fabrication in Idaho Falls.

Soon to come..
Rock sliders
Skid plates
Bumpers20180119_172726.jpg20171013_175954.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using OB Talk mobile app

Rubyredfozzy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Fort Mitchell, AL, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Welch
Member #

Hey, i'm late to the party! I'm Tyler. Wr are from Rexburg, Idaho which is in the south east region of the state. Some of you already follow me on IG, but for those that don't, it's @tyleromyah. If you ever find yourself out this way, give me a holler!!

Here is out 2007 fxt..
Invidia downpipe
Prodrive turboback exhaust
Drop in k&n air filter
Cobb tune (once the motor needs rebuilt, i will have it correctly protuned)

2" adf lift
15" methods
215/75/15 bfg a/t ko2
Reese cargo basket (it has impressed me)
Smittybilt 6x6 awning
2 led pods mounted under the awning for camp light
Axe/shovel mount
32" light bar
Led pods/custom mounts for brush lights (mounted to side mirrors)
Adf molle racks
Fully functional kitchen

Just purchased a 23zero RTT, haven't thrown it on yet. Purchased at CBI Offroad fabrication in Idaho Falls.

Soon to come..
Rock sliders
Skid plates
BumpersView attachment 52086View attachment 52087

I am your neighbor to the north. I'm from CD'A. I havnt lived there for several years though I do plan on moving back some day. The sliders and What not, where are you getting them from?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Rocky

tyleromyah

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

I am your neighbor to the north. I'm from CD'A. I havnt lived there for several years though I do plan on moving back some day. The sliders and What not, where are you getting them from?

Oh right on! It's pretty country up there!
I am going to custom build sliders, and use some old road signs for skids as a temporary solution. I'll eventually go with primitive or subtle solutions skids. Unless of course Patrick (adf) designs some, then i will support them.

Rubyredfozzy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Fort Mitchell, AL, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Welch
Member #

Oh right on! It's pretty country up there!
I am going to custom build sliders, and use some old road signs for skids as a temporary solution. I'll eventually go with primitive or subtle solutions skids. Unless of course Patrick (adf) designs some, then i will support them.

Have you looked at the skids and bumpers from Lpadventures. They tie in with the bumpers they make. The road signs is a interesting way to go. Never seen anyone do that.

Overlandtroubadour

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Rome, GA
Member #

So I guess this is really here nor there, but I had considered keeping track of my most recent trip on here.

Over the summer, from early June thru mid-July, I spent 40-some days making a 7,250 mile loop across the country and back...camping most of the way. I documented most of it on instagram (n8.leonard if you care...), so you're welcome to look.

I've loved Subarus forever, but this new-to-me 2010 Outback has been a dream come true. It's a high (ish) mileage 3.6R, yet it's a complete road warrior.

Here are some highlights...including a little bug netting ingenuity for the nights spent sleeping in the car. Around the Great Lakes, it was a total necessity...haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love your pics! I think we did a similar trip. I was out mid July through the end of August. 7020 miles through Badlands NP, Wind Cave NP, Mount Rushmore, Custer State Park (Sylvan Lake), Devils Tower, Little Big Horn, Yellowstone NP, Grand Teton NP, Rocky Mountain NP, Palo Duro Canyon. My 2013 Outback was perfect!

Overlandtroubadour

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Rome, GA
Member #

Love your pics! I think we did a similar trip. I was out mid July through the end of August. 7020 miles through Badlands NP, Wind Cave NP, Mount Rushmore, Custer State Park (Sylvan Lake), Devils Tower, Little Big Horn, Yellowstone NP, Grand Teton NP, Rocky Mountain NP, Palo Duro Canyon. My 2013 Outback was perfect!
I think we have camped in the same spot in the Badlands!
DSC_0107.JPG

Overlandtroubadour

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Rome, GA
Member #

Since I joined Overland Bound I've seen an increasing number of Subaru driving members. Please feel free to post a picture of your vehicle, a quick description if you like, and a link to your build thread.

View attachment 10753 2015 Outback Limited

Here's a short list of the more obvious, and some that aren't, mods.

ADF 2" lift with multi link spacers
Offroad Subaru front springs (+1.25")
RalliTEK super raised rear springs (+1.75")
LP Adventure brush guard
LP Adventure EVAP bypass
LP Adventure rear sub frame sliders
Primitive Racing front, mid, and rear dif armor
Yakima Loadwarrior with extension
ARB 2000x2500 awning
Rally Armor flaps
Enkei RPF1 wheels
Yokohama Geolander G015 tires
Traction Jack traction mats

My build thread with more mods and more details..

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/but-its-a-subaru-outback-build-thread.2423/
Great looking Outback! On your factory fog lamps, did you completely replace the factory lamps with the yellow ones or is that some type of lens cover?

Overlandtroubadour

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Rome, GA
Member #

Hi everyone! I've got a light bar from Rally Innovations coming next week. I'm going to mount 2 Hella driving lamps on it, but wanted to put a light bar on as well. Any suggestions on the brand? I'm thinking 20" but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
I just ordered a 20" bar from MTN ROO, not sure where I'm mounting it yet. Maybe in the bumper below the front plate, but I might suck it up and get an SSD bar for the front. I dig the bar, just think I can probably build one for a few bucks so I'm being cheap.

Reactions: Overlandtroubadour

Overlandtroubadour

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Rome, GA
Member #

I just ordered a 20" bar from MTN ROO, not sure where I'm mounting it yet. Maybe in the bumper below the front plate, but I might suck it up and get an SSD bar for the front. I dig the bar, just think I can probably build one for a few bucks so I'm being cheap.
Thanks, I'll check them out!

HudsonZRoamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington, USA
First Name
Harley
Last Name
W
Member #

Got the new wheels and tires mounted up. Love the fact the my FXT is able to fit 15" wheels without any issues when compared to thew newer SJ Forester XTs (2014-2017). Also who says you cant run 30" tires on an SH Foz. This size is almost the exact same as my previous setup. My old setup was 29.5" Wildpeaks on 16" Sparco wheels. This setup weighs exactly the same as my previous setup with the benefits of more meat/sidewall. 30" is the absolute largest tire I would personally fit on a Subaru without the option to regear. I was also able to remove my ISC 25mm wheel spacers due to the +15 offset of the wheels as well.

Wheels: Black Rhino Boxer 15x7 +15 offset 5x100 (15lbs each)
Tires: Falken Wildpeak AT3W 30x9.5 (43 lbs each)

DSC04630-2

DSC04630

DSC04633