Subaru Owners Registry

• HTML tutorial

odingrey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Got the lift installed by Patrick from ADF, think I got a little deal so just email directly and he can tell you installed cost. Love the lift works reallty well. Quite happy with it.
Yes it is the back of the center console. DId the electrical myself with my brother-in-laws help. but real easy to do. Ran a hot wire from the battery to a new 6 gang fuse and buss under the divers seat then wired the plugs and CB from it. THe CB and plugs are always hot so that is why you see the switches above to turn the plugs off if I need to.
King springs will be added as the weights I am adding to the car demand it. Sitting a little down in the rear with the tire carrier and all the camping gear added in. That is the only reason for the King springs. They are 25-30% over OEM rating. Should get me back level with all the gear added although I understand it will be stiffer for daily driving.
No squeak and pretty rock solid as it has a wedge anchor to really make it solid in the hitch. Just got it installed this week and first real trip with it will be next week so I'll post how it works when I get back. Main reason foro the carrier was I am 62 and hauling the tire up and down off the roof rack is getting old, just like me, HAHA.
5&6.
For the backup camera and license plate see my build thread posts 35 and 36, relocated the plate and backup camera is still in stock location so blocked when viewing. I'll live with it for awhile and see if I want to relocate the camera.

https://overlandbound.com/forums/threads/another-subaru-build-thread.7622/page-2#post-134509

Thanks for the replies, that's good info!

I can't find where ADF is located, I'm assuming socal?

On the wiring, did you fuse it somewhere? Also, did you run through the firewall? I ran through mine for some headlight stuff and it was probably the worst hour I've ever had with my car.

Makes sense on the King Springs. Our last trip we went for 4 nights, so we packed heavy and had something like 25 gallons of water. I noticed a serious back sag from that and even managed to bottom out once or twice on the freeway. Eventual goals is to get a trailer for the RTT, but I have a house to save up for at the moment, so that's on hold.

I really dig the look of the off board tire, but the biggest thing for me is getting a full sized spare. I don't have a rack up top since the RTT is up there, so I have nowhere to put it. Your setup seems basically like the best solution but ho man, between the hitch and the tires that's an expensive one time thing.

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Thanks for the replies, that's good info!

I can't find where ADF is located, I'm assuming socal?

On the wiring, did you fuse it somewhere? Also, did you run through the firewall? I ran through mine for some headlight stuff and it was probably the worst hour I've ever had with my car.

Makes sense on the King Springs. Our last trip we went for 4 nights, so we packed heavy and had something like 25 gallons of water. I noticed a serious back sag from that and even managed to bottom out once or twice on the freeway. Eventual goals is to get a trailer for the RTT, but I have a house to save up for at the moment, so that's on hold.

I really dig the look of the off board tire, but the biggest thing for me is getting a full sized spare. I don't have a rack up top since the RTT is up there, so I have nowhere to put it. Your setup seems basically like the best solution but ho man, between the hitch and the tires that's an expensive one time thing.
ADF is located in Sandy , OR, my son lives close in Vancouver, WA( 45 minutes away) so I got it installed there and visited with him at the same time. They do have local installers in the SoCal area just check on the website.
Wiring went through the firewall inside the main wiring harness mess. Used a metal coat hanger as a fish, taped the wire to it and pulled the wire through no problem. The small hole in the rubber boot sealed itself as the hole we made is so small. The fuse box was added under the drivers seat as shown below. So I now have 2 extra spots in the fuse box for additional items if needed.

Fuse Box.JPG

Guess I should have put this photo in my build thread.
I'll add a new fuse box under the hood for any additional running lights I add.
Hitch, tire, rim and carrier, OUCH, yes very $$$$$ but I feel very worth the money for the ease and peace of mind it gives me.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Great stuff so far everyone. I know we have a quite a few new Subaru members and I'd love to see them find their way to this thread.

Reactions: Rocky

Epic Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Washington, D.C.
Member #

Absolutely love that I found Overland Bound!

Just getting started on my '16 Outback Limited 2.5l

2" LP AVENTURE lift

245/65/17 BF Goodrich KO2's

Montegi MR118's

Yakima LoadWarrior

Cusco Tow Hooks

RallyArmor Black/Gray mud flaps

Near Future...

Full skid plates

Curt Class III hitch

Front/Rear lights

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk
Dude, this is such a sick build! Doing an order from LP Adventure this week. Can't wait to post up on this thread!!

Epic Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Washington, D.C.
Member #

What's up everyone?! Super stoked to be here. It's awesome to see such a strong Subaru presence here! Here's my '17 Outback Limited. I've got some pretty big plans for my build up. Right now I've got a Yakima Rocket Box 12 offset on the passenger's side. This week I'll be ordering the Lift, wheels, tyres, bumper guard & skid plates to get the ball rolling.

Screen Shot 2017-08-06 at 7.19.34 PM.png

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
What's up everyone?! Super stoked to be here. It's awesome to see such a strong Subaru presence here! Here's my '17 Outback Limited. I've got some pretty big plans for my build up. Right now I've got a Yakima Rocket Box 12 offset on the passenger's side. This week I'll be ordering the Lift, wheels, tyres, bumper guard & skid plates to get the ball rolling.
Welcome! It's always great to see another Subaru member and we will all be looking forward to seeing your build come together. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Kaimana

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bend
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Sur
Member #

Outback has that much more room, good for you. I reached out to LP and was told I could possibly run 215-75-15 on my crosstrek. LP also suggested a 15mm offset.

Rocky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Loveland, Colorado
Member #

I was not so lucky with the Forester XT. Even with a lift all the tire shop could get on was 215 /65 /16's. It does look like the Outbacks have more tire room. On the Forester forum it was told that for an XT you might not get 15" rims on that's why I went to 16", plus more tire selection for off road.

Epic Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Washington, D.C.
Member #

I was not so lucky with the Forester XT. Even with a lift all the tire shop could get on was 215 /65 /16's. It does look like the Outbacks have more tire room. On the Forester forum it was told that for an XT you might not get 15" rims on that's why I went to 16", plus more tire selection for off road.
That makes sense. Plus more tyre choices = awesome!!

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Stoke is growing! Today I ordered 17x8'' Motegi MR118's wrapped with BFG KO2's. As well as the LP Adventure skid plate & small bumperguard with front plate. Hopefully everything shows up before late next week for a two day camping trip.
Nice. The bumper guard really is a quality functional piece. I've beat mine up on multiple occasions with only powder coat scars to show for it. Most recently I had the weight of the car on its nose coming off of a very steep hill. Front tires were light while the rear tires drug the nose and I thought for sure it would be damaged beyond some scratched powder. It does rob some of an already not great approach angle but the positives outweigh the negatives.

Outback has that much more room, good for you. I reached out to LP and was told I could possibly run 215-75-15 on my crosstrek. LP also suggested a 15mm offset.
Only the latest gen Outback enjoys the extra space and not all 245/65 17 options fit issue free. For example, despite being listed as the same size Yokohama G015's apparently have a wider cross section than the K02's and are more likely to rub. They did on my Outback.

Epic Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Washington, D.C.
Member #

Nice. The bumper guard really is a quality functional piece. I've beat mine up on multiple occasions with only powder coat scars to show for it. Most recently I had the weight of the car on its nose coming off of a very steep hill. Front tires were light while the rear tires drug the nose and I thought for sure it would be damaged beyond some scratched powder. It does rob some of an already not great approach angle but the positives outweigh the negatives.

Good to know!

Only the latest gen Outback enjoys the extra space and not all 245/65 17 options fit issue free. For example, despite being listed as the same size Yokohama G015's apparently have a wider cross section than the K02's and are more likely to rub. They did on my Outback.