Stirrin' the pot

• HTML tutorial

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

Alright, I love to create discussion and as I continue to find gear I like, well, I do the typical "me" thing. Where can I get it cheaper? Than I start to look at other options and wonder am I only looking into things because everyone is so brand heavy?

Why pay 100-200 dollars when I find something similar on Amazon/Ebay for a large fraction of the cost? So I am going to stir the pot a little and ask everyone, what they have bought that is not brand name and worked just as well? Why and how did you decide to do that? And for those of you that are brand happy and bought brand name why or why not?

Let's have a real discussion no trash talking brands or anything.

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

That is exactly what I thought about it, and it is how I am looking at coolers as I get ready to live out of the truck come the winter. (That's the plan anyway)

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Im an admited gearhead and I tend to get the best stuff I can afford. But it's not really about "brand names"'as much as a company's integrity, and user reviews from folks I trust. I own a lot of the usual backpacking and overlanding suspects: ARB, Blue Ridge Overland Gear, MSR, GSI, snowpeak, Pelican, etc.

That said, I recently bought some "Moon Lence" (no-name Chinese brand) ultra-light chairs and a small table off Amazon and they were less than half as much as REI or Helionox chairs and tables of the same design! So far they have performed really well (and yes, they seat adults too [emoji12])

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
I just recently realized that some folks buy only brand names not to show off but because of comfort zone. Buying off-brand is taken as a risk which conservative buyers stay away from. Unfortunately they are the ones that get tagged as brand snobs. Guitars/wines/all sorts of gear, i've seen it.

Some folks take a bit more risk and being budget minded, evaluate what they're getting measures up to their intended needs. No need to buy a rocket launcher when all you need is a hammer. The risk is sometimes, you do need a rocket launcher. But whatever!

Now there are those that buy brands to show off. More power to them, keep fueling the economy!

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I have a mix of both. We are a family of five living on a single income and my wife is in college. I'm also a hobby collector so I have plenty of gear. I have two Ozark Trail coolers (72 and 26) and a couple of their cups as well. But I spent the money for the Coleman tents. I get a lot of gear used as well.

I've got about $150 in four different sized Coleman stoves and three white gas lanterns. I got two Eddie Bauer sleeping bags for $20 in like new shape from a couple that only kept them in the car for emergencies when they lived up north.

You've got to find your balance. I'd it can fail and not ruin an entire trip, maybe the knockoff is ok to have. I'd you have the capitol to carry all the name brands, by all means do so! Support the companies that fight to keep the lands open and free to use, you'll get no grief from me. But being out there doing it with what you can afford is just as good.

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

I don't really pay attention to "Brand Names" but I do pay attention to what I think will work, if I like it, How well do I think it will work, and the list goes on.
Ive got a Pelican case for my phone. Did I buy the case because it said Pelican? No. I only know about pelican mostly from what Ive heard. But I bought it because when I was looking for a case, it seamed to be good quality and I thought it would work well. And it was less expensive than the OTTER that I was comparing it to, and felt, looked better. If it said Generic made in china brand would I have bought it anyway? Ya. Because it was a quality case.
So, I dunno. does that answer?
I can give you another example and story about my BFG KO2s if you'd like.........

Reactions: Outdoor Steve

Outdoor Steve

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Temecula, California
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Braucht
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Having grown up with less money than I do know. I had to buy cheaper and no name brands and used. Now that I can buy name brand. There is a huge difference in long lasting hear and customer support. But the most important despite all this is getting outdoors with family and friends. A leaky Walmart tent in a rain storm will build memories!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Murphy Slaw

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
You can have anything one of three ways. Good and fast, fast and cheap, or cheap and good. You can't get all three. I have been called selectively cheap because I pinch pennies right up to the point when a item/product has to meet a certain set of specifications.

So what have I found that is worth spending good money on you asked. Well a good mechanic is worth his shop rate, good tires are worth what they cost, and any tool that is stressed or relies on moving parts is worth the price of the top shelf item.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

Im an admited gearhead and I tend to get the best stuff I can afford. But it's not really about "brand names"'as much as a company's integrity, and user reviews from folks I trust. I own a lot of the usual backpacking and overlanding suspects: ARB, Blue Ridge Overland Gear, MSR, GSI, snowpeak, Pelican, etc.

That said, I recently bought some "Moon Lence" (no-name Chinese brand) ultra-light chairs and a small table off Amazon and they were less than half as much as REI or Helionox chairs and tables of the same design! So far they have performed really well (and yes, they seat adults too [emoji12])

I'm really glad I saw this. I have two of the Helinox High back chairs, they faded on me in little under a year of use and both legs recently broke. I loved the compact size, but that price. Nope not doing that again for a product that couldn't last a year.

Now I checked out the reviews on these guys you mentioned. I can do that. Ordering two. Thanks for your feedback. I had no idea these existed.

I buy a lot of stuff on Craig's list. Top brand names, at a fraction of retail price. Just keep a list of wants, and search for the items often.
Some things you get what you pay for, some things you don't. Try and learn. When I was a younger guy, I couldn't afford some of the better stuff. So I started doing ebay, CL and REI garage sale. I have no problems with second-hand goods. Especially when you find a great deal on something someone else took the MSRP hit on in excellent condition and half price.

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I'm really glad I saw this. I have two of the Helinox High back chairs, they faded on me in little under a year of use and both legs recently broke. I loved the compact size, but that price. Nope not doing that again for a product that couldn't last a year.

Now I checked out the reviews on these guys you mentioned. I can do that. Ordering two. Thanks for your feedback. I had no idea these existed.
Awesome man!

Glad to be of service. I want to be clear, I have NOT put these through the ringer yet. They've only been on one real multi-day trip and come out for several day trips and picnics. So we'll have to see how they hold up. That being said, at what they cost, getting even 2-3 years out of them would be within the realm of acceptability, though of course I'd love 5-10! [emoji23]

Reactions: SeguineJ

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

Great discussion so far and some awesome points made. Not just gear for camping per say but what about gear for the rigs? upgrades? I know we have a lot of DIYer's in the community, is that because of ability? Price?

Anders0nic

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member
Supporter

Pathfinder I

Benicia, CA
First Name
Anderson
Last Name
Carlisle
Member #

Alright, I love to create discussion and as I continue to find gear I like, well, I do the typical "me" thing. Where can I get it cheaper? Than I start to look at other options and wonder am I only looking into things because everyone is so brand heavy?

Why pay 100-200 dollars when I find something similar on Amazon/Ebay for a large fraction of the cost? So I am going to stir the pot a little and ask everyone, what they have bought that is not brand name and worked just as well? Why and how did you decide to do that? And for those of you that are brand happy and bought brand name why or why not?

Let's have a real discussion no trash talking brands or anything.
I wonder if you have ever manufactured something? Designed something? Engineered something? Produced something? These are all things that companies invest time, money, sweat, blood, futures and families in. By purchasing a "knock off", you are actively undermining the original creator. You are saying, that persons intellectual property is of no value. I choose to support companies that have put in the work of researching and developing their own product. I take pride in trying to support local, regional businesses. Some may take pride in how they saved by buying that cheap brand on eBay, but I would rather keep that fella in Michigan employed at the machining company or the creamery down the street that buy their ingredients locally. If that means I pay an extra 20 percent for the product, so be it. If that 20 percent is out of my budget, well then, I wait till it is within my budget. The race to the bottom is exactly that, a slippery slope.

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
I wonder if you have ever manufactured something? Designed something? Engineered something? Produced something? These are all things that companies invest time, money, sweat, blood, futures and families in. By purchasing a "knock off", you are actively undermining the original creator. You are saying, that persons intellectual property is of no value. I choose to support companies that have put in the work of researching and developing their own product. I take pride in trying to support local, regional businesses. Some may take pride in how they saved by buying that cheap brand on eBay, but I would rather keep that fella in Michigan employed at the machining company or the creamery down the street that buy their ingredients locally. If that means I pay an extra 20 percent for the product, so be it. If that 20 percent is out of my budget, well then, I wait till it is within my budget. The race to the bottom is exactly that, a slippery slope.
It is called free markets and competition. Necessity is the mother of innovation and competition drives down prices. As consumers we have the right to spend or money however we wish. Some seek value, others seek performance, while other sell to support a brand.

Anders0nic

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member
Supporter

Pathfinder I

Benicia, CA
First Name
Anderson
Last Name
Carlisle
Member #

Actually free markets and competition have rules. Rules like copyrights and patents. You are missing those points... When you have an item copyrighted and or patented, that offers a level of legal protection in the free market. Look it up. It is very important and is one of the founding principles of a free market economy.

Necessity may be the mother of invention and all , but flat out copying someones design and selling it for less is not invention...

Reactions: Jeff Graham

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
Actually free markets and competition have rules. Rules like copyrights and patents. You are missing those points... When you have an item copyrighted and or patented, that offers a level of legal protection in the free market. Look it up. It is very important and is one of the founding principles of a free market economy.
Yes they do those are important protections. But those patients have life spans.

Anders0nic

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member
Supporter

Pathfinder I

Benicia, CA
First Name
Anderson
Last Name
Carlisle
Member #

So you are buying a pto overdrive for your 1948 Willyz? Or some fold up chairs designed by a fella in Poughkeepsie NY and now being knocked off by a manufacturing plant in Shenyang? Seriously? You are acting as if it is a difficult task to discern one from the other?

Reactions: Jeff Graham

Anders0nic

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member
Supporter

Pathfinder I

Benicia, CA
First Name
Anderson
Last Name
Carlisle
Member #

Okay, Ill calm down. I just see my money as an investment into the society that I value. Others see their money as a different type off tool. I have to remember that we don't all share the same beliefs as I do.