Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

Well, the boys and I did a quick trip with the trailer to do some research and development. The first thing I noticed that I need to add, are more tie down points. Can't seem to get enough of those. My Gladiator Cargo Net did fine, but it would have been better with more secure points.20180526_081511.jpg
I originally started out my trailer tire pressure at 15psi, but found it to be to soft. After playing with pressure, I found that 20psi was the smoothest and had the most cushion.20180526_094455.jpg
When I dropped the tailgate to put the bikes in the truck, I noticed the tailgate was going to be really close to the adjustable coupler. Yep, a little to close. Luckily, I saw it coming before it was to late. Nothing a sweatshirt can't fix.20180526_105447.jpg
The pintle hitch gave me a lot of articulation. It wasn't to noisy once you learn how to manipulate the throttle and brakes. 20180527_104851.jpg
20180526_094835.jpg
Once we set up base camp, we broke out the Luminoodle. This added enough light around the trailer, but nothing obnoxious...at least that we know of. It's a pretty cool setup with a lot of color options20180526_224919.jpg
20180526_224936.jpg
I'm glad I pulled the trigger on building a trailer. It was really nice to drop the trailer off at basecamp, and have the freedom to explore. Overall the trailer met my expectations. The boys loved the trip. Our next trip will be a weekend trip for each boy to learn how to fly fish.20180527_105252.jpg

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

So, once again I'm doing another mod on my trailer. After a few trips I realized that out of all my tie downs, not one worked well enough for my likings. So, I went ahead and added more, more to the top, more to the inside walls. Now I have another issue, which was in my plans also. Now I was able to have the inside lined. I lined the floor and the walls, along with the top rail. I also had them add a square patch on the fenders where we step to open the tent.20180906_160237.jpg 20180906_160246.jpg 20180906_160332.jpg

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

Where did you get the LED lights and brake lights?
I bought my LED lights through Tex Trail. I believe you guys have a store in ID.

Part Numbers:
8100493 Clear Brake Light
8100815 Clear Amber Marker Lights
8100816 Clear Red Marker Lights

Reactions: Bowtied13

T.Shack

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Red Bluff Ca.
Member #

Today, my trailer made its first test run. Everything seemed to track straight. Of course, once the tent is on top, and I actually have some weight inside, it should smooth it out. I did not get pictures, but I was able to jack knife my trailer backing up without any contact with my bumper. View attachment 51087
I did adjust my coupler down which raised the nose up a little.View attachment 51088 View attachment 51089
I'm hoping that I should be done in a month or so. I'm making plans for its maiden voyage with the boys .
That long tongue should make for a great towing trailer!

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

Another trip on the books. Trailer handled great. This trip was more off road which tested the pintle articulation. I will say, it was quite a bit louder with the ruts, rocks and holes. Still, I don't know if I'd feel as secure with a ball mount. I will say, having the trailer axle the same width as my truck is nice. Some of the trails were pretty tight. I didn't have to worry about my trailer going off the side. I used the swing out gate with the table. This worked out great for the portable BBQ. I'm also glad I lined the tops of my fenders. They helped hold our water tanks without scratching the powder coating20181027_160500.jpg 20181027_173614.jpg 20181027_180807.jpg 20181027_182428.jpg

SCtundra

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

mrytle beach
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Rea
Member #

Amazing build I love what you have done and will be using some of your ideas for my own. Never saw a price for what it took to build??

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

Amazing build I love what you have done and will be using some of your ideas for my own. Never saw a price for what it took to build??
That's the tricky part of the price calculations on the price. I work for a trailer company, so I got a killer price on the parts. I'd say I'm around $2000-$2500 for the trailer as it sits. Of course the Tepui is not included in the cost. It was fun to do.

Damil

Rank III

Advocate II

I definitely wouldn't trust a ball hitch, but those pintles can become annoying overtime. Some kind of dampening would be an idea if possible. Very clean and simple trailer. I dig these builds.

Reactions: Caddis

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

It is a little
I definitely wouldn't trust a ball hitch, but those pintles can become annoying overtime. Some kind of dampening would be an idea if possible. Very clean and simple trailer. I dig these builds.
It is a little louder, but you get used to it. You learn how to work the throttle and brakes. Now, when your offroad, there isn't much you can do about the banging.