Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

So, I have decided to build my outdoor trailer. My plan is to build a 4x6 to hold my gear, and a Tepui Kukenam Ruggidized. I purchasrd my 3500# Dexter axle 6x5.5 to match my Tacoma wheels, and metal for the frame.

To those that have built, or purchased they're outdoor trailers, what are some things you wished you added, or didn't have? I know this build will end up never being a "completely finished" build. My design is going to be a simple build, but any suggestions, or advice would be usefull.

Last edited:

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

I also built my trailer from scratch. The one major thing I'd do was to plan the size and top better. In my situation if I'd gone 3" longer a Tacoma or ranger caps or covers would have fit with no modifications. Looking forward to your build. Ron

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

I would have gone to the junk yard and measured every short bed truck bed in site before I finished the build. The other thing I'd considered would have been a utility bed. To answer your question, to stretch 3", Yes I would. the frame was done when friend gave me a LEER camper shell from a Tacoma. But I didn't do it. Ron

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

3" isn't much, but when it comes to trailers that makes a big difference. What coupler did you decide to go with? I'm leaning towards an adjustable pintle, or 2" ball.

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

My tongue is adjustable length and uses a removable pintle hitch, when the pintle is removed the pin lock is reinstalled for a little more anti-theft protection, Ron

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

Thank you. It's good to have friends that know how to weld. My buddy wanted to make one also. So mine is the experimental build. I'm sure he'll build his slightly different.

Reactions: tkt0912

tkt0912

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Space Coast, Florida
Member #

Resized_20180107_163814.jpeg
Thank you. It's good to have friends that know how to weld. My buddy wanted to make one also. So mine is the experimental build. I'm sure he'll build his slightly different.
My buddy is helping me build mine as well, so I know what you mean. I've really enjoyed learning to weld. I actually went out and finished welding the tent track yesterday, without my welding sensei!!! lol

Last edited:
Reactions: T.Shack and Jimmy P

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

You've got some space for sure! It's a fun project. Now I'm on the fence with closing off the top section of my trailer. There are pros and cons to both sides. What are some of your guys reasons for me leaving it open/closed?

Swhirstein

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Davenport, Iowa, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Hirstein
Member #

Nice, can't wait to see how this evolves. Be sure to keep track of time & $ involved, curious to see how it compares to some of these company's that sell them completely outfitted.

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

Well currently, I've spent who knows in steel, and in trailer parts I got them almost at cost, since I work for a trailer company. Of course the trd wheels and tires were a splurge. Im hoping that I might break even building my own trailer over buying one and modifying it. Lots more pictures on the way.

Last edited:

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

A couple of videos where trailers are reviewed. I am gathering info and ideas for one I hope to build.

This second one is hard to listen to at points - lots of words but the trailer layout is pretty good.

Reactions: Caddis