Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

It looks great!
Did you weigh it yet? It seems like most of the mass is already on there.

Edit: One more question, why do you hope to break even in cost compared to buying a ready made trailer? Shouldn't you save a lot of money if you don't count the time you spend?
Currently, I'm a salesman for a utility trailer company. So originally, I was pricing a trailer that was already built. All I needed to do was modify this trailer for my needs (flip the axle, get bigger tires, and build a rack). I would be wasting lots of material cutting, welding, tossing, only to end up wishing I had just built my trailer in the first place. So, if my calculations are correct, I should end up with the trailer I want, at the price of the factory built trailer I could've bought at cost.

Enthusiast I

Hawaii
Currently, I'm a salesman for a utility trailer company. So originally, I was pricing a trailer that was already built. All I needed to do was modify this trailer for my needs (flip the axle, get bigger tires, and build a rack). I would be wasting lots of material cutting, welding, tossing, only to end up wishing I had just built my trailer in the first place. So, if my calculations are correct, I should end up with the trailer I want, at the price of the factory built trailer I could've bought at cost.
That makes sense. I was perusing some of the ready made overland trailers on the "buyers guide" and the ones that look similar to yours are in the $6K plus range not including the tent.

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

Resized952018032295194958956909.jpg
The back swingout gate is now skinned. I have my latches on the inside, which gives the back a clean finish for nothing to snag on.

Reactions: Road

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

Looks like I'll be going the route of painting this trailer. I originally I wanted to Powder coat it, but they wanted $1100 to do it. The powder coat shop is one of the best in our area, but I decided that was more than I wanted to spend. So, off to the paint shop it goes. I debated about doing it the color of my inferno colored Toyota, but I think I'll go with the really dark grey, or black.

Reactions: Road

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

Update: I found a shop that will powder coat my trailer for $450. It should be finished sometime next week. The holes are all predrilled for the marker lights and brake lights. I think my trailer is weighing in at around 650#. I'm getting anxious to take it out on its maiden voyage.

Reactions: Phildirt and Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Update: I found a shop that will powder coat my trailer for $450. It should be finished sometime next week. The holes are all predrilled for the marker lights and brake lights. I think my trailer is weighing in at around 650#. I'm getting anxious to take it out on its maiden voyage.
Anxious to see how it does for you, too!

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

Well shoot, I got word that my trailer won't be ready for pick up till next Wednesday. Oye! I've got places to go things to see, but, I guess I will just sit here and wait patiently till then.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I got my trailer back today. Not bad looking. It does have a few spots that are a little light on the powder coating. Overall, I'm happy with it. Just need to do the wiring, and it'll be ready to go. View attachment 54393 View attachment 54394 View attachment 54395 View attachment 54396
Where'd you buy that from?

Just kidding; you've done an amazing job on this; very nicely designed and extremely well built. I'm really looking forward to how you outfit it now.

One of these days we'll do a trailer owner's get together.

Enthusiast I

Hawaii
Great job, thanks for sharing. This is the build closest to what I would like to do, (including dimensions). That is why I asked how much it weighs because ideally I would like something I can pull by hand to move from my side yard to the front driveway. I plan on taking welding classes in August for fun at the local junior college and hopefully I will gain the skills required.

Reactions: T.Shack

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

Great job, thanks for sharing. This is the build closest to what I would like to do, (including dimensions). That is why I asked how much it weighs because ideally I would like something I can pull by hand to move from my side yard to the front driveway. I plan on taking welding classes in August for fun at the local junior college and hopefully I will gain the skills required.
I'd say I'm around 600#. Even after putting the Tepui on, I was still able to grab the pintle with 1 hand and move the trailer around easily . My guess is that I'm pretty close to about 10% tongue weight.