Starting My Project Build From Scratch.

• HTML tutorial

Foch

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Montana
I have no experience in camper trailers. But I would like to suggest some shocks. Last year I was hauling 1600lbs from Reno to Bozeman. The roads we so rough the load was bouncing and this caused my tires to cup and start chunking apart. I spent the night in Idaho Falls while a shop replaced the tires and wheel bearings, they are the ones who told me about using shocks to stabilize the load. I have since added them, it was pretty easy, really makes a difference when you have a little bit of load back there.

Foch

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Montana
I was hauling to 850lbs each Harley Davidson's up to the new house. The trailer was near it's limit. I just needed it to quit bouncing.

Reactions: T.Shack

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

Today, my trailer made its first test run. Everything seemed to track straight. Of course, once the tent is on top, and I actually have some weight inside, it should smooth it out. I did not get pictures, but I was able to jack knife my trailer backing up without any contact with my bumper. 20180315_173125.jpg
I did adjust my coupler down which raised the nose up a little.20180315_173212.jpg 20180315_173222.jpg
I'm hoping that I should be done in a month or so. I'm making plans for its maiden voyage with the boys .

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Today, my trailer made its first test run. Everything seemed to track straight. Of course, once the tent is on top, and I actually have some weight inside, it should smooth it out. I did not get pictures, but I was able to jack knife my trailer backing up without any contact with my bumper. View attachment 51087
I did adjust my coupler down which raised the nose up a little.View attachment 51088 View attachment 51089
I'm hoping that I should be done in a month or so. I'm making plans for its maiden voyage with the boys .
That's a damned fine set up, @Caddis. Very cool you can get the trailer at a 90 without contacting the bumper. I can do that with my XV-2, as well, though am talking to Aluminess about a back bumper for the van with a tire carrier and storage box, to see what the dims are and how it might affect things.

Anxious to see how the rest of your work goes on the trailer. Super nice work, man.

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

It's been a fun adventure designing this. I do not have welding skills like my buddy has. My welding skills are close to an AG 101 student on his first day.

Enthusiast I

Hawaii
It looks great!
Did you weigh it yet? It seems like most of the mass is already on there.

Edit: One more question, why do you hope to break even in cost compared to buying a ready made trailer? Shouldn't you save a lot of money if you don't count the time you spend?

Last edited:

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

I'm estimating this will weigh in about 650-700#. Plus, it'll have another 200# with the Tepui. I'll keep you posted on the dry weight.

Reactions: T.Shack