Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

For those who can't see the amazon links properly, make sure you don't have an adblocker plugin blocking them.
HTH
-Aaron
That was it exactly, and I don't know why I didn't think of it. I disable it all the time for news sites. All the text links open perfectly here, but they aren't blocked like the image links are. Thanks.

Reactions: Aaron Niemi

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

(In truth, the panel is probably pushing out closer to 18V so there is even a bit more safety margin.)
How do you know the 100w solar panel puts out 18v ? I was told wire size id determined by amps, not volts.
Lanlubber
I measured it. But typically a decent 100W 12V panel will put out 17V - 18V at about 5A - 5.5A at peak. Measured of course before the controller. Your controller converts the the voltage to the needs of your battery. Wire size is always a function of voltage and amps (power (W) = A * V). They are related. Compare a chart for 12V and 24V and for the same Amperage and you will see what I mean.

You mentioned you like to use charts for determining wire size. Make sure you are using the out and back distance for the length unless the chart specifies it has already done it for you (ie: if your length is 25 foot from solar panel to battery you would use 50ft.)

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

I'm interested in how your wire holds up over time, @Brewbud, and if you notice any degradation or brittleness, as it is half the cost of what I'm considering. You're absolutely right about getting a good crimper, too. It can make all the difference in making a good cable with good connectors.
To be honest I almost sent this wire back as I had several in my wish list and I thought I had picked a silicone jacketed wire. After inspecting the wire I was surprised at its softness and flexibility. I am very confident of it. Even so, I do have a short piece laying full time in the sun.

Reactions: Road

tony chatman

Rank II

Contributor II

Bandon, Oregon, USA
First Name
tony
Last Name
chatman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
ki7RIR
Last edited:

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
It's the same as having a two-conductor wire in a covered cable, just separate. You have a positive (red) and a negative (black) to complete a circuit, just like house wiring, vehicle wiring, etc.

View attachment 108338
This is exactly the kind of cable I'm looking for, can you please tell me where you found it?

Edit: Found it, ouch, expensive, over half the cost of the panel I bought LOL!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I measured it. But typically a decent 100W 12V panel will put out 17V - 18V at about 5A - 5.5A at peak. Measured of course before the controller. Your controller converts the the voltage to the needs of your battery. Wire size is always a function of voltage and amps (power (W) = A * V). They are related. Compare a chart for 12V and 24V and for the same Amperage and you will see what I mean.

You mentioned you like to use charts for determining wire size. Make sure you are using the out and back distance for the length unless the chart specifies it has already done it for you (ie: if your length is 25 foot from solar panel to battery you would use 50ft.)
You are the only one who has mentioned out and back length. I think it is an import omission by all of the utube video demonstrations I have watched. Being a building designer I always play on the side of caution when it is a safety issue.
The charts I have found and use do not tell me that either. Thanks for that important bit of info.
Lanlubber Jim

Reactions: Brewbud

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

This is exactly the kind of cable I'm looking for, can you please tell me where you found it?

Edit: Found it, ouch, expensive, over half the cost of the panel I bought LOL!

Yep, and not very flexible, either. It was cheaper with free shipping when I bought it to experiment with. It's meant for exposed, wet or dry, installation for static panels.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

To be honest I almost sent this wire back as I had several in my wish list and I thought I had picked a silicone jacketed wire. After inspecting the wire I was surprised at its softness and flexibility. I am very confident of it. Even so, I do have a short piece laying full time in the sun.
I suspect it may take a year or two, or more to really degrade, if in fact it does. If it doesn't, it's a great solution for DIY solar. I know one vendor sells two types of extension wire and states one is more flexible but not as long lasting, the other is more rigid but does much better exposed continually.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Out of curiosity, I wonder if there is a chemical that could be applied to the exterior shielding sleeve on the 10-2 exterior wire to protect it and give it a longer life at the same time. Something like they put on tires to keep them from cracking.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Yep, and not very flexible, either. It was cheaper with free shipping when I bought it to experiment with. It's meant for exposed, wet or dry, installation for static panels.
I'm going to check locally this weekend, sometimes in cabling you can find something locally that will work just as good or better. Lots of power cables around for landscaping and things like that made for the outdoors, just need to find something that is 10 gauge! Might stop in at Tractor Supply too, you never know! I'll update if I find something!

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I'm going to check locally this weekend, sometimes in cabling you can find something locally that will work just as good or better. Lots of power cables around for landscaping and things like that made for the outdoors, just need to find something that is 10 gauge! Might stop in at Tractor Supply too, you never know! I'll update if I find something!
Yeah, cool. I looked everywhere for awhile and couldn't find anything that wasn't outrageously expensive, so went with the separate, stiff, 10AWG. Landscape cable is meant to be buried usually, in my experience, and okay for wet, but not exposed to the weather.

Hope you find something and let us all know.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Out of curiosity, I wonder if there is a chemical that could be applied to the exterior shielding sleeve on the 10-2 exterior wire to protect it and give it a longer life at the same time. Something like they put on tires to keep them from cracking.

Good thought, though you'd have to find out just what type of sheathing you're working with and then probably apply it once or twice a year. Though, come to think of it, I already have an excellent spray from 303 that is specifically for UV Protection for vinyl, rubber, plastic and fiberglas, etc. 303 UV Protectant Spray .

Now the nerd in me wants to have two 12" samples of several different wire types out in the sun for a year. One each of the different types as control, one each with 303 UV Protectant.

Bluesman

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Arizona, USA
Member #

I just added a dual AGM battery system and 170 amp alternator to my Gen 3 4Runner. I went with the Hard Kore 200 amp solar panels running through a Redarc Manager30 and Wagen PureSine 1000 watt inverter. I also added a Dometic PLB40 as a backup. I don't have a huge power draw, but I usually run solo and try to be as prepared as I can. The largest single continuous draw, which is actually pretty low, is the Dometic CFX95DZW fridge. So far I'm extremely happy with this part of my build! I'm new to this forum concept and don't know how to add pictures yet so bear with me...

Bluesman

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Arizona, USA
Member #

LMAO!!! I told you I was new to this forum stuff. I just realized these things appear in reverse chronological order. My post above was in response to an inquiry that displayed 8 pages ago from 10JUL19. Sorry for my blundering into an area that has nothing to do with my reply. I'm trying folks, just learning as I go.

Aaron Niemi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

LMAO!!! I told you I was new to this forum stuff. I just realized these things appear in reverse chronological order. My post above was in response to an inquiry that displayed 8 pages ago from 10JUL19. Sorry for my blundering into an area that has nothing to do with my reply. I'm trying folks, just learning as I go.
If you press the reply button it will put the post you're referencing in quotes above. Just FYI

Bluesman

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Arizona, USA
Member #

If you press the reply button it will put the post you're referencing in quotes above. Just FYI
Wow, see there. Thank you so much, I never noticed that before. Your guidance is greatly appreciated. This is only the 3rd or 4th time I've responded to anything. Mostly just read and learn. No wonder I didn't get in the feedback loop before.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

Good thought, though you'd have to find out just what type of sheathing you're working with and then probably apply it once or twice a year. Though, come to think of it, I already have an excellent spray from 303 that is specifically for UV Protection for vinyl, rubber, plastic and fiberglas, etc. 303 UV Protectant Spray .

Now the nerd in me wants to have two 12" samples of several different wire types out in the sun for a year. One each of the different types as control, one each with 303 UV Protectant.
I probably wont live long enough to experiment. "One day at a time sweet Jesus" LOL