Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Yarmouth, ME, USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Michaelsen
Member #

Round tubing for the tent mount is interesting. I think it could make a big mess to remove the square tube and weld the round stock back to the box. Matching the paint etc... Standing on the bumper is going to be a big help to lift the tent platform. Any info on the gas struts you used would be great. I am going to brainstorm using the jack stands in some adaptation to see if that might work...

DBG

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kamuela, Hawaii County, Hawaii, United States
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Ackerman
Member #

I have touched my trailer up a few times with satin black and it looks fine. As for taking off the vertical square I would use a die grinder to cut in half the square which would create a perfect place to weld in some tube. I have a hitch step on the back of the trailer which I stand on to open the tent. We lift the tent from the side vice the ends. Their isn’t any info on the struts it self.

Brian B1973

Rank 0

Traveler I

Dallas, TX
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Batie
Struts are great. However, I am debating on making the vertical tubes round vice square. I think they will bind less while going up and down. I use spray graphite lube which does help. I wouldn’t even run a spare if the tow rig was same bolt pattern and similar size. I have rotopax mount above right fender.

Why not use the screw drives adjustable beds use? You can get them cheap.

Bulwinkle

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Yarmouth, ME, USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Michaelsen
Member #

A few updated photos. Need to put on end caps on bumper, move license plate and light up higher about the tank. Waiting for the Rotopax so we can finish the bracing next to the Spare.

Attachments

Thomas C Hardin

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Panama
Member #

A few updated photos. Need to put on end caps on bumper, move license plate and light up higher about the tank. Waiting for the Rotopax so we can finish the bracing next to the Spare.
Nice! I "get" the length of the bumper now. Was scratching my head in early pics. Are you planning to tie into the fender with a tube to avoid getting hung up on it? Great low rearward place for some heavy stuff to address tongue weight...

Nice fabrication skills on that latch.

Last edited:

Bulwinkle

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Yarmouth, ME, USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Michaelsen
Member #

Rear Bumper and Swing photo update. After we got things cleaned up and in place, decided that (4) 3.5 gal Rotopax will fit in very nice. 3 between the spare tire and one next to the spare. Propane tank mount is really good. Had a very hard time to find a simple 20# tank mount that was not over $150. Ialso did not want to buy a 5 or 10# tank and keep it simple with the 20#. I will post a mounting photo later. It is similar to the Rhino Rack mount.
Gate works very well and we end up with a lot of extra forward space.

Attachments

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
I am running the Ark XO 500. It is amazing. I can move the trailer around by myself fully loaded. It has max height of 28” which is close to OEM. It is a great upgrade!!!
Good to know that. The factory jack is terrible. I think with the height and the tongue weight there are not many jacks that will work .

Reactions: DBG

Bulwinkle

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Yarmouth, ME, USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Michaelsen
Member #

Update.. We got the red led button lights installed under the trailer and inside the compartments. Really like the ease on the eyes in dark.. Swing Gate and fuel storage.. Comfortably (4) 3.5 gal.. I like the way this is coming together. Lots of time sitting in the shop chair looking for design build ideas.....

IMG_2377.jpegIMG_2378.jpegIMG_2379.jpeg

Silverback07

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central Texas
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Braden
Member #

These are the boxes I bought.

----https://www.amazon.com/Dee-Zee-M207-Specialty-ATV/dp/B000VU98HK

Last edited:

Reckn

Rank 0

Contributor I

Maryland, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Hassett
Hey all. I removed my spare tire and added it to the rear hitch. Decided to build some storage. Waiting for the latch to come in to finish each end.

I basically made it to store my camp chef dual burner stove. I really dislike how small the scouts slide out stove is.

I plan to connect the taller side of the main compartment into the small tongue box for additional storage. View attachment 133726IMG_20200104_172226.jpg

Reactions: mep1811