Searching for Rock Art in the Southwest

• HTML tutorial

fledwell

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Our Senior Photographer, Randy Langstraat, wrote a nice piece for us back in Issue 2 of OutdoorX4 Magazine on the various types of rock art (petroglyphs and pictographs) scattered throughout the American southwest. We've republished it onto the OutdoorX4 website and it's an excellent, brief guide on areas to visit and explore in search of American Rock Art. Check it out here:

https://outdoorx4.com/stories/back-time-in-the-american-southwest/

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Our Senior Photographer, Randy Langstraat, wrote a nice piece for us back in Issue 2 of OutdoorX4 Magazine on the various types of rock art (petroglyphs and pictographs) scattered throughout the American southwest. We've republished it onto the OutdoorX4 website and it's an excellent, brief guide on areas to visit and explore in search of American Rock Art. Check it out here:

https://outdoorx4.com/stories/back-time-in-the-american-southwest/
In Southern Nevada there are places where you can find it. Some more inaccessible than others. Out near Eldorado valley, towards Searchlight, there is some. Some more out near Gold Butte, but they closed a part of the road to discourage taggers.....so now it's a walk to get there. Another is someplace in the mountains south by SW of Henderson NV and Boulder City NV. Never been there and do not have coordinates or a exact location. They made that also a wilderness area. This is east of Sloan, and thru the valley that is accessed by the gypsum haul road(north end of Jean Roach dry lake valley).

I am sure other Southern Nevadan OB members can chime in with better information.

Gryf

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vallejo, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Weber
Member #

I believe the easiest ones to see are in the Valley of Fire State park. The park is worth visiting even if you don't care to see the petroglyphs.

darjo242

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL
Got to see a few panels while I was out on a week long trip of wheeling and camping with a group I belong to in Phoenix. We were on the San Rafael Swell/Capitol Reef area. Also got to see one of the panels just outside of Moab when I was there as well. Thanks for sharing these articles!

Terex

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Taos, NM
Mesa Prieta Petroglyph Preserve north of Santa Fe, NM, is estimated to contain over 75,000 images, maybe the largest concentration of rock images in North America. I've visited it. It's amazing. Many more areas in northern NM, many known only to locals. I've also backpacked in Grand Gulch, UT. Amazing images there, along with many, many ruins, most accessed only by backpack expedition.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Gila Bend, Arizona has a park with a mound of Petroglyph rocks. It looks like it was a school to learn how to draw as they are on every rock, or maybe every time someone finds one it is brought to this place and stacked on top of the others.