Enthusiast III

Henderson, NV, USA
First Name
Kaden
Last Name
Galvez
Member #

I did a video review on the Tembo Tusk if your interested -
I definitely think there are cheaper alternatives like you found with the Discada. I do love the ability to use the sides of the skottle to keep food warm and how easy it is to clean with water and pushing the water off as well! its been working great but the price is a hard pull to swallow

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I have always been intrigued by the Tembo Tusk but have never made the mental leap to purchase one as I could never (in my mind) make sense of the true utility versus ofther items I already own (griddle, skillet, stove etc). All that being said I was intrigued when the iKamper Disco Series started showing up because it can be used in many different formats (skottle-though smaller), stand alone burner, burner in the frame, tripod for using over a fire etc). With that said I did bite the bullet and backed the Disco on their recent Kickstarter campaign. I just received it and so far am really impressed with the construction quality, materials and functionality envisioned. The Coleman and Omnia ovens fit on the frame, my 10 in Banks Fry-Bake (and other pans of course) fit perfectly, it will hold my 5 and 7 qt bail handle Lodge dutch oven on top and my camp ovens suspended. I put an unboxing/first look video up but am not ready to say what I think of it quite yet as I have not put it through its paces-but I will. Price wise it is more expensive than the Tembo Tusk but I do think it is more versatile-time will tell.

If you want to check it out here is the first look.

Last edited:
Reactions: grubworm

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I did a video review on the Tembo Tusk if your interested -
I definitely think there are cheaper alternatives like you found with the Discada. I do love the ability to use the sides of the skottle to keep food warm and how easy it is to clean with water and pushing the water off as well! its been working great but the price is a hard pull to swallow
Really well thought out review-great job.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
The Tembo Tusk Skottle curmudgeon speaks. No, not worth that kind of money. Unless you are starting out overlanding from scratch and are into feeding a lot of people, all the time at camp. We often go with family which is 3 vehicles and 7 people. Everyone has their own stoves and cookware, so when we do cook for everyone, I’ll do the salmon on cast iron, over the Coleman, another will do the salad and another will cook all the veggies. We eat simple, easy to clean up foods on the trail. However, we do eat a lot of gourmet at home. How do you carry it? That is a large steel disc, it’ll destroy anything near it if it isn’t super secure. How does one secure a steel disc? Well, farmers have been securing them on farm implements forever. We don’t have that luxury to bolt them down. Me, my family members and a lot of overlanders I know have very little desire to completely re think our packing methods. We carrry a volcano grill, which I love, and it has its own box built into the trailer, & still, it wears through every heavy canvass bag we have thrown at it. Now we just carry it in the canvas shopping bags and use a new one every trip. My question to you folks that have the skottle, how do you pack it in? Are you traveling on hard core terrain, or miles upon miles of washboard roads? Curious minds want to know.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I agree with most. The Tembo Tusk isn't worth the price. Not even close. It's all hype and overland tax. There's many better options out there. Best option would be cooking with cast iron on an open fire. Cast iron pan is like $20 and the fire is free. I use a jetboil stove when I don't have a campfire and I like it a lot.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I thought that the Tembo Tusk was too expensive. I went with the products from Southwest Disk. Southwest Discada Cooking Plow Disks - Page 1 - Southwest Disk

I got the 18" Madrid Discada, 18" Madrid Discada - Southwest Disk and the short burner, Discada Plow Disc Burner - Southwest Disk

About half the cost of the Tusk.

I'm waiting for the burner with the adjustable legs to come back into stock.

I like being able to keep several courses warm by pushing them to the outer edge of the disc, while the main course is still cooking.

I'm VERY fond of how easy clean-up is. Remove the big chunks of food after the disc has cooled down. Then get it good and hot ,and pour about half a glass of water into it. Scrape gently with a spatula while the water boils away and then pick up what's left with a paper towel. Lightly coat the disc with some cooking oil and you're done.
This is the same place I'll be buying a Discada from too! No reason to pay the Overland price for a Tembo Tusk.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

Time to throw some Grey Poupon into the fire! I just put up my review of the new iKamper Disco. This is a very pricey system that performs some tasks extremely well and others I was left wanting.

That being said and the price I expect the previous comments will apply in spades but I will leave the question of value to each person.

Given the popularity of all things Overlanding I don’t think we have jumped the shark quite yet. If you want to check it out-

Nomad52

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Redmond, Oregon
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Waters
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7AKW
We considered getti a Scottle but went with a 17” portable Blackstone griddle that only cost $100 plus a bit extra for the nylon case. It takes up less room in our 4x4 Sportsmobile camper van and instead of using Coleman bottle we have to throw away, I use a propane hose that connects to an exterior quick connect propane outlet just outside our side doors on the van.
I used to cook professionally and much prefer a larger flat surface for grilling. A concave surface is notgreat for things like pancakes and fried eggs. It works great for our rig so smelly greasy food is kept out of the two burner built in stove inside.

shansonpac

Rank V

Traveler III

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Hanson
Member #

We considered getti a Scottle but went with a 17” portable Blackstone griddle that only cost $100 plus a bit extra for the nylon case
Totally agree. My Partner Steel stove in my trailer has been relegated to making rice and boiling water. I can cook any meal on my Small Blackstone, and I power it from a separate 5 pound tank. It is a snap to clean and maintain.

Reactions: Desert Runner

OcoeeG

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE TN
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gee
I am going with a griddle on my 2 burner. And if I was going to get one I would just make it myself.

kharrel

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

Ventura County, CA, USA
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Harrel
Member #

Totally agree. My Partner Steel stove in my trailer has been relegated to making rice and boiling water. I can cook any meal on my Small Blackstone, and I power it from a separate 5 pound tank. It is a snap to clean and maintain.

So have both the Scottle and Blackstone. I love them both and they both do about the same thing. I do prefer the Blackstone in most cases as it a bit more easy to use and clean. But with that said for most off road trips I take the Scottle as it packs better and feels more rugged.

kharrel

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

Ventura County, CA, USA
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Harrel
Member #

I am going with a griddle on my 2 burner. And if I was going to get one I would just make it myself.
This worked good until I had a larger party and tried to cook bacon for all. Grease management was difficult. I'd take the Scottle or Blackstone over a 2 burner any day. And you can get the 17 inch Blackstone for well under $100. Blackstone and JetBoil are a good combo for space and easy cooking.

Reactions: shansonpac

shansonpac

Rank V

Traveler III

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Hanson
Member #

... Grease management was difficult....
This was the game changer for me. The grease management system of the Blackstone can't be beat. Scrape all the oil and waste into the detachable trap with the disposable foil liner, spray water on the warm griddle and wipe it down, then cover with a very light coating of oil and you are done. The carry bag comes with a nice cover for in between uses.

OcoeeG

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE TN
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gee
Reactions: shansonpac

HaVeeBear

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Elkridge, Maryland, United States
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Armendariz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3VWL
So have both the Scottle and Blackstone. I love them both and they both do about the same thing. I do prefer the Blackstone in most cases as it a bit more easy to use and clean. But with that said for most off road trips I take the Scottle as it packs better and feels more rugged.
How and where do you pack the Scottle?