Elkridge, Maryland, United States
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Armendariz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3VWL
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Kahuna burner with a discada.
I think the price has gone up more recently, but they were typically around $100...

Reactions: HaveeBear2

LuxuryOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Steele
Member #

I like the storability of the skottle kits. We have both a jetboil genesis system, which we absolutely love, and a Camp Chef 14" 2 burner with flat top cast iron. Cooking on it is awsome, tho its a bit large and cumbersome for what it is. The grease/oil management is just horrendous...we generally try to make food that doesnt have a lot of grease run-off...but bacon is hard to pass!

Reactions: M Rose

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Maybe if I was cooking for a larger group, but usually it is just me. I use a one-burner stove (propane/butane combo). Does all I need it to do. I've got a two-burner Coleman stove I can bring if I needed to (haven't had the need since I got the one-burner). Usually I'm just frying up something, or heating up a can of something.

But I know some folks love them - great! Having options is a good thing. Too expensive and bulky for me though.

Tailgate cooking.1.jpg

GunRunnersActual

Rank V

Explorer I

Laurel, MS, USA
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Watson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WROE242
Service Branch
USMC
Has anyone tried the iKamper skottle? I can’t say I’m a fan of the price, but the versatility of the iKamper version seems like the better play.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
I've been cooking outdoors since 1968. In my experience there are two types of cooking. Inside and outside. LMAO. If you use charcoal, wood, fire or any other element you can't find or use inside, it's outside cooking. Those elements add flavor to the food. Giant farm disks, larger resturant style flat griddles do not add flavor. It's a skillet on steroids. It's cool for sure and will attract the neighbors, but it will not add flavor to the food (unless a bug or bird gets involved) LOL. Even if you wrap a complete meal in foil and throw it in the coals it wont add very much flavor unless you poke a hole in it. So that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Ahahahahahahaha
Zim

Reactions: MMc and SquishBang

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

...Eggs, leftover meat from the previous night's dinner...
What is this "leftover meat" of which you speak?

We try to have no leftovers overnight when camping. But that sounds good for home. My girlfriend puts left over bbq into her black beans. Wow

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I keep looking at the Scottle and I am just not sure it is right for my style of camping/overlanding. I go with my wife, and sometimes a small group, but mostly just the 2 of us. I have also recently ordered a new Subaru Ascent and I am selling the 2500 Suburban. So, I am downsizing a lot. I recently went through all my camp gear to see what will make the cut to the new rig. A full Scottle just won't fit.
I think if I ever do decide to jump on board, I will just get the Discada for $58. I already have a burner.
However when I go, I like to travel. That is why I go, I live out where most people go to camp, miles from anyone. So, to go and camp someplace and stay is silly for me, I can do that at home. With that mindset, we always are looking for quick easy simple meals. We even make food ahead to reheat or take leftovers.
It is easy to get sucked into the cool factor and forget that for me it just won't work for my travel style.

Wilderman

Rank I

Contributor III

USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Spice
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Kahuna burner with a discada.
I think the price has gone up more recently, but they were typically around $100...
We saw the Tembo Tusk on a website several years ago. In my research, I ran across the Kahuna and the discada. We eventually purchased the 18" discada and the Kahuna burner as the price was so much cheaper. I think we sacrificed some space savings but saved a lot of cash by going with the Southwest Disk setup. Eventually, we purchased the 24" Pecos so we could cook for more people. The sides are not as steep as those of the Rio Grande so the food doesn't tend to slide down.

The 18" is so well seasoned that we dropped a couple of eggs in for breakfast one morning, went to turn them, and the spatula caught the edge and almost pushed them out of the discada! Now that's a good seasoning. The stir fry comes out great but with the smaller disc, we found that we needed to cook the ingredients separately because we cooked so much as one time. That was the inspiration behind getting the larger discada. We bought the lid for it so we could do brownies or cakes on it.

The Kahuna, at about 65,000 BTUs, is a powerhouse when you need to get the grease hot quickly or if it is breezy outside. A friend of ours bought a wok and cabinet with burner to he could cook his Asian inspired dishes with it. He loves it. The Kahuna puts out about the same power as his specialty burner so was surprised to see how well our cheaper setup worked with the Kahuna pulling a large portion of the workload! The legs of the burner are adjustable and are removable for transportation.

Whether we are at home with our 20 lb. propane cylinder or out on the trail cooking with a 5 lb. cylinder, we enjoy great hot meals thanks to the Southwest discada and the Kahuna burner! An excellent combination.

**Not affiliated with SW disk nor the Kahuna burner folks. Just a satisfied customer.

Attachments

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

Has anyone tried the iKamper skottle? I can’t say I’m a fan of the price, but the versatility of the iKamper version seems like the better play.
I picked one up when Kickstarter first had them. Overall it is very well built and I am a massive fan of the tripod when cooking with my dutch ovens over a fire. As a skottle type cooker it works pretty well but does have some areas for improvement (at least mine does and I have not seen any updates on the newer ones.) I expect you are not the only one who balked at the price as they now offer it in component form instead of an all inclusive package. If you want to see more of my opinion on them here is the YouTube review I put up.

In a nutshell it is smaller than the more famous one but I think much more practical all around. It has a coated cast iron disk which makes maintenance much easier but otherwise I would prefer carbon steel. The burner can be removed and used on a table but I find it lacking in wind protection which effects its performance in the wind and I wish you could use bigger pots on the tripod with burner in place.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I use a cast Iron griddle but have thought of doing just 2 small 10 inch cast iron pans with the handles cut off for storage purposes.

Hammer Time

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles
First Name
H
Last Name
T
Member #

One of the reasons that I'm a fan of disk cooking is that I hate scrubbing pans. Too much KP in Basic I guess. I was always on "Pots and pans." Loads of burnt-on food to scrape and scrub.

Cleanup with a high carbon steel disk involves blotting up any residual grease with paper towels and then boiling a couple of cups of water in the disk. As the water boils, direct it to the entire top surface of the disk. Do this until the water is almost all boiled away, then turn off the burner. Toss a paper towel in the water and then move the towel over the entire surface of the disk to blot up any grease or cooking debris that is present. Done.

The nastiest, greasiest disk that I ever cleaned was left standing with a puddle of used grease in the bottom for about three months. It took doing this three times, to get it clean. Usually, if it's done right after eating the meal, it only takes once.

Reactions: Wilderman

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
If you're having to scrub your cast iron that much after cooking, you're doing it wrong.

Reactions: HaveeBear2

Hammer Time

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles
First Name
H
Last Name
T
Member #

If you're having to scrub your cast iron that much after cooking, you're doing it wrong.
I've tried cast iron. I was never able to get them not to stick. I'm sure I was, as you say, "doing it wrong." Between hand, wrist and shoulder injuries, they're way too heavy for me these days.

Reactions: Downs