Jeephunter

Rank 0

Contributor I

Windsor, CO, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Brown
I cant justify the price of a skottle. My kitchen setup is fine. Use that extra money and bring some filet mignon.
I'm on same page as you I like the the skottel the whole idea behind it but my old reliable colman get the job done to and packs into me jeep without taking up to much space still so I mean I think to really test it u would have to buy it lol but we all know old school rules!!!

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Im suprised nobody is using an electric skillit, stove or crock pot and solar power.
When my wife and i go wheeling in oklahoma or arkansas i usually make engine fajitas, just wrap all your ingredients in aluminum foil set em under the engine cover and drive, by the time we get where we are going there is a delicious meal ready.

ScottEtkin

Rank VI
Launch Member

World Traveler I

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Etkin
Member #

I have one and have been cooking with it for the last year and a half. They are expensive. Can you make one on your own....yes. However, right or wrong, I like supporting companies that take initiative, support the overlanding community, and make good products. That is definitely what you find with #TemboTusk

20190604_170435-COLLAGE.jpg

Reactions: JDGreens and sabjku

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

We bought one last year, and I honestly wasn't sure if it would live up to the hype or not. A year later, and it is our main cooking source and pretty much our only outdoor cooking source. We use it all the time, it set up and breaks down easily and quickly. I leave the burner attached for one less step. I also have a 10 pound tank mounted on the back of my camper and run a hose to the skottle to power it.

The main difference between a skottle (or similar curved/dished cooking source) and a flat grill or any frying pan is the skottle has different heat zones which allow for cooking of multpile items at the same time. Cook your bacon, then push it up to the side, then cook your hash browns and move them up, then cook your eggs. All on one surface that is easily cleaned.

Reactions: Kimmar

flyfisher117

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Idaho
First Name
John
Last Name
Hansen
Member #

Not something I can justify spending that much for. If they were about half price of what they are now I may consider it. Just because I do enjoy cooking while camping.

If you have access to a welder you could make one for a fraction of the cost.

I have instead picked up a nice propane burner and some various cast iron gear that gets rotated between home and camp use. I have maybe $70 into all of it and could cook just about any food in any situation.

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I can't justify that price. I'd like to try one out, but at $350 that's a hard no from me. I'd rather spend that money on a Partner Steel stove, and even that's a tough sell for me.

sully3

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Purdy, MO
First Name
jeff
Last Name
sullivan
Member #

Making my own now. Brand new disc at a farm supply store $33, single burner propane camp stove $18 at Walmart, brand new horseshoes for handles $5 a pair. A little welding, some imagination= your own disc.
Id like to see yours!!

Lucy R

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Placerville, CA, USA
First Name
Lucy
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LOU
We love ours. Almost every meal is cooked on it when we're on the trail. Try a stir fry with shrimp, and veggies - it's awesome. We do breakfast scrambles, too. Eggs, leftover meat from the previous night's dinner, onions and other veggies, with some cheese sprinkled on top... yummy and easy.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
What are you thinking for legs? One of the things I don’t like (besides the price) is that the legs don’t break down for storage.
An Idea on that question:

Could you not, assuming you have a little welding knowledge, buy 3 short pieces of pipe. Then buy enough length of smaller pipe that would telescope inside the larger pipe, to create 'legs'. Buy enough to cut to length for your desired cooking height. Buy 3 of those butterfly screws to tap in the welded pipe to create stable 'locked' legs. Weld a 'cage under the disc to hold a burner. Walla...... as above, but with the removable legs for easy transport.

A gen 2 kinda homemade improvement. What do you think?

Reactions: lhoffm4

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

We bought one last year, and I honestly wasn't sure if it would live up to the hype or not. A year later, and it is our main cooking source and pretty much our only outdoor cooking source. We use it all the time, it set up and breaks down easily and quickly. I leave the burner attached for one less step. I also have a 10 pound tank mounted on the back of my camper and run a hose to the skottle to power it.

The main difference between a skottle (or similar curved/dished cooking source) and a flat grill or any frying pan is the skottle has different heat zones which allow for cooking of multpile items at the same time. Cook your bacon, then push it up to the side, then cook your hash browns and move them up, then cook your eggs. All on one surface that is easily cleaned.
Not to start an argument, but to reply to the last paragraph. Why not just use a WOK on a Coleman stove and still be ahead the money spent on the skottle..We don't use our WOK in the kitchen anymore so I've been considering bringing it along on our adventures. We already use the Coleman 2 burner and a SAVORY 8" fry pan..Been thinking the WOK will work great..

Last edited:
Reactions: Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

They're great for those that like them.

I bought one with all the accessories, wind screen, lid, steamer, cover, etc and took it with me on a long adventure and never used it, much preferring my Cook Partner 22, sauté pans, and griddle. I can set up my griddle for different temp zones, too, like many say they like about the Skottle.

I wasn't a fan of how it fit into my packing scheme or galley setup, that I had to assemble and disassemble it, and just could not justify keeping it along side my other ways to cook. Perhaps if I was cooking regularly for more than just myself it would make more sense.

I sold mine, never used.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Not to start an argument, but to reply to the last paragraph. Why not just use a WOK on a Coleman stove and still be ahead the money spent on the skottle..We don't use our WOK in the kitchen anymore so I've been considering bringing it along on our adventures. We already use the Coleman 2 burner and a SAVORY 8" fry pan..Been thinking the WOK will work great..
We have a wok at home and use it all the time. It's great for stir fry's. But you can't cook one thing in a wok, then push it up to the side to stay warm (say bacon), then cook another and also push it up to the side to stay warm (say potatoes), then cook your eggs. All on the same surface. It's more like a big flat top with different heat sections in that sense. It allows you to use one surface to cook multiple seperate items, keep them all warm, and then have only one item to clean. I don't have any issues packing ours up at all either.

Reactions: Scout and sabjku

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

We have a wok at home and use it all the time. It's great for stir fry's. But you can't cook one thing in a wok, then push it up to the side to stay warm (say bacon), then cook another and also push it up to the side to stay warm (say potatoes), then cook your eggs. All on the same surface. It's more like a big flat top with different heat sections in that sense. It allows you to use one surface to cook multiple seperate items, keep them all warm, and then have only one item to clean. I don't have any issues packing ours up at all either.
This is exactly why I really like the Skottle.

Reactions: Scout

mikedtmay

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Dawlish, UK
First Name
Michael
Last Name
May
Member #

I will love had one if I live in USA, I'm live in uk will cost me crazy tax due on top price :angry:

ICDGary713

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

SW Idaho
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I bought $35 Cast iron griddle and a propane burner and made my own "Skottle" for a grand total of $55.00. Wokrs excellent. There is a gent on YouTube who showed me the way. Search for "hoemade Skottle, DIY disc cooking" as there are TONS of ways to get a very similar cooking experience. Not trying to take anything away from TT, but that's a whole bunch of money for the "real" item. Here is the link for the search challenged among us:

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Or just get a Coleman or whatever you might already have and just buy a wok. I'm sure a wok will not cost $300 plus.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Hated the price for the TemboTusk but after buying it I am happy with what I paid, we love it, we only have it as our cooking equipment, no more stove and pans to pack carry clean unpack, this thing is quick and easy to pack up and the wife loves the clean up, wipe out with a rag n oil and bam done.... We even use it at home many times, I think the wife is in love with the thing.

All I can say is it is not a wok, a wok will not even come close to this, there are varied temp ranges on here and your cooking all the foods at once, like I said the wife loves it which means I love it and am eating great LOL

I would suggest finding one for sale used, but then again they are not sold to often, which should tell you something as well....

To each his own and as the guy packing and unpacking, I am sold.

Jim

Last edited:
Reactions: RoarinRow