US West San Diego Overland Bound Trail Runs

• HTML tutorial

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

This thread was created so as to not interfere/confuse anyone in regards to our Monthly San Diego OB Meetup, for that Forum the link is posted below.

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/reoccurring-san-diego-overland-bound-monthly-meet-06-28-2018.13317/

Keep in mind that this is a branch-off idea that is in it's infancy. This idea came from discussion between the local San Diego OB Members.

This Forum will solely be for the accumulation of ideas from everyone, for any trails those of you would like to run, decided on by the voting system OB has provided. Once a choice has been made, then the planning phase for up and coming trail runs can start.

The trail runs will be posted on here so that if members were to miss, or simply do not wish to attend the regular monthly meeting. They can still be informed of said upcoming trail runs, and per say not be left out.
Decisions for trail runs can be made either here online, and/or from what decisions for such Trail Runs come out of our regularly scheduled Monthly SD OB Meetup.

Which is graciously hosted by @donuteater .

For Trail runs decided in person at the meetups, the results will still be posted here on this Forum to include all.

I recommend to give people time to plan/prepare (yes there will be times when things might happen last minute, which is fine as well).

But just to set a standard of expectations that I think we can all agree upon. I recommend that whatever trails we decide to go explore should be discussed at least 2-3 weeks in advance to allow time for everyone to ensure that it will fit into their schedules. (This would probably just be for larger group runs)

For quick outings that get decided on, a heads up at least a couple days to a week out should be given.
This should be fine since there will be plenty of times not everyone can make it.

First and foremost, as long as the idea was brought up to a group consensus for everyone to know!
Secondly, that results in at least a couple rigs going out somewhere together either new or familiar to explore and have fun. I think that is worth it and would be awesome!

Everyone feel free to chime in, and input what they think and/or could be added to improve this process.

Or!!!!!!!!

If everyone thinks it should be as simple as saying "HEY! WANT TO GO HERE?! COOL! WHERE? WHEN? LETS GO!"

That works perfectly fine as well lol.

SURFOVERLAND

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Oceanside ,ca
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Trostad
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6AEB
This thread was created so as to not interfere/confuse anyone in regards to our Monthly San Diego OB Meetup, for that Forum the link is posted below.

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/reoccurring-san-diego-overland-bound-monthly-meet-06-28-2018.13317/

Keep in mind that this is a branch-off idea that is in it's infancy. This idea came from discussion between the local San Diego OB Members.

This Forum will solely be for the accumulation of ideas from everyone, for any trails those of you would like to run, decided on by the voting system OB has provided. Once a choice has been made, then the planning phase for up and coming trail runs can start.

The trail runs will be posted on here so that if members were to miss, or simply do not wish to attend the regular monthly meeting. They can still be informed of said upcoming trail runs, and per say not be left out.
Decisions for trail runs can be made either here online, and/or from what decisions for such Trail Runs come out of our regularly scheduled Monthly SD OB Meetup.

Which is graciously hosted by @donuteater .

For Trail runs decided in person at the meetups, the results will still be posted here on this Forum to include all.

I recommend to give people time to plan/prepare (yes there will be times when things might happen last minute, which is fine as well).

But just to set a standard of expectations that I think we can all agree upon. I recommend that whatever trails we decide to go explore should be discussed at least 2-3 weeks in advance to allow time for everyone to ensure that it will fit into their schedules. (This would probably just be for larger group runs)

For quick outings that get decided on, a heads up at least a couple days to a week out should be given.
This should be fine since there will be plenty of times not everyone can make it.

First and foremost, as long as the idea was brought up to a group consensus for everyone to know!
Secondly, that results in at least a couple rigs going out somewhere together either new or familiar to explore and have fun. I think that is worth it and would be awesome!

Everyone feel free to chime in, and input what they think and/or could be added to improve this process.

Or!!!!!!!!

If everyone thinks it should be as simple as saying "HEY! WANT TO GO HERE?! COOL! WHERE? WHEN? LETS GO!"

That works perfectly fine as well lol.
Excellent ideas. Thanks for taking the initiative on this.

Sent from my SM-J727V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Kyle & Kari Frink

Snupee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

Thanks for setting this up Kyle and Kari, I think with a little more time and initiative we will get more organized and hopefully get more runs in!

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

@Surfnoverland
@Megadoomer
@Snupee

Thanks to those who have actually read and replied to this thread so far!
The only thing that honestly will make this get somewhere (as @Snupee has said "become more organized")
Will be the more everyone inputs their recommendations, the better we can refine this to make for a great setup!
So whereas @Megadoomer has said lol you just show up and have a great time!

Reactions: SURFOVERLAND

Megadoomer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

N32°55'31.94",W117°05'20.21"
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Rossi
Member #

I don't have a lot of trail input. A lot of my off roading has been in a work truck on restricted roads. That's mostly why I feel like more of a follower in this instance. Although, there is a book by funtreks.com that detail trails in California. They have a few different books for different states.

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

Even though this run was already decided on in the other forum, which is why this forum was created lol.
The SD OB members are meeting up Sunday the 22nd at 0715-0730 a.m. to do the Bear Valley Run, hope to see everyone there.
The attached file/photo has the address and GPS coordinates highlighted.

Attachments

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

@Megadoomer

No worries man and that's good advice, will look into it for sure. The trails that get chosen won't be based just on members knowledge/experience of trails alone.
This is just a way to more a less keep everyone informed of where the fun will be you know?

SURFOVERLAND

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Oceanside ,ca
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Trostad
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6AEB
@Megadoomer

No worries man and that's good advice, will look into it for sure. The trails that get chosen won't be based just on members knowledge/experience of trails alone.
This is just a way to more a less keep everyone informed of where the fun will be you know?
This is off to a great start. 2-3 week notice is ideal. We should try to discuss some trail options in person at each trail run and or at our meetups. This is headed in a great direction. We should also do some safety training. For example, I would love to learn how to properly pull a stuck vehicle from a spot. On trail training or at a lunch or dinner meet up. Just some thoughts.

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

This is off to a great start. 2-3 week notice is ideal. We should try to discuss some trail options in person at each trail run and or at our meetups. This is headed in a great direction. We should also do some safety training. For example, I would love to learn how to properly pull a stuck vehicle from a spot. On trail training or at a lunch or dinner meet up. Just some thoughts.

@Surfnoverland

For sure! @donuteater did discuss last meet up that there would be some training conducted for such occasions. I know some to most of us have some experience in recovery. I recommend just to make sure the quality of the training is at a level where it needs to be for this (I.e. a professional lol) we find a local or not local organization whatever is available. That deals with recovery and have them come out to show us the ropes.

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

One company that I think would be amazing for this is Deadman Off-road, I hear nothing but amazing things about them! Plus they are somewhat local as in I'm pretty sure they are based out of Southern California. Pretty sure lol...

Snupee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

@Surfnoverland

For sure! @donuteater did discuss last meet up that there would be some training conducted for such occasions. I know some to most of us have some experience in recovery. I recommend just to make sure the quality of the training is at a level where it needs to be for this (I.e. a professional lol) we find a local or not local organization whatever is available. That deals with recovery and have them come out to show us the ropes.
I think the training idea is great and maybe we can incorporate something like how to use your winch or High Lift jack when off road. We could even take 30 minutes on the trail this weekend a do a quick demonstration while we are stopped taking a little break on the trail this weekend?

SURFOVERLAND

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Oceanside ,ca
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Trostad
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6AEB
Everyone just wanted to get some feedback on Offroad Jacks. Does anyone have experience or reviews on any other brand than hi lift some are half the price? Give me your feedback. Thanks Matt

Snupee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

Everyone just wanted to get some feedback on Offroad Jacks. Does anyone have experience or reviews on any other brand than hi lift some are half the price? Give me your feedback. Thanks Matt

All farm jacks (Hi lift) are about the same, they've been around for a long time and are generally about the same quality. I did the same thing and got the $60 version, but its your personal preference on which brand you want to buy. I like the new Hydraulic ARB jack, but its hard to justify spending $700+ on a jack in my opinion.

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

@Snupee Is right they are pretty much the same due to the mechanical setup involved in how the HI-lift operates is pretty much the same. It is by no means complex, with ARB's new Hydraulic jack if you were to be someone with either a serious injury or back problems this would be the way to go since the required force to operate it is far less than that of a traditional Hi-Lift. Plus the operating handle is at the top of the Jack allowing for the operator to remain more upright during usage.

SURFOVERLAND

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Oceanside ,ca
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Trostad
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6AEB
@Snupee Is right they are pretty much the same due to the mechanical setup involved in how the HI-lift operates is pretty much the same. It is by no means complex, with ARB's new Hydraulic jack if you were to be someone with either a serious injury or back problems this would be the way to go since the required force to operate it is far less than that of a traditional Hi-Lift. Plus the operating handle is at the top of the Jack allowing for the operator to remain more upright during usage.
Thanks guys. I love this forum

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

Thanks guys. I love this forum

@Surfnoverland

No worries brah!
I firmly believe that this is what our community is and should be about. The collective wealth of shared knowledge(factual knowledge that is lol) done so with respect. So that we can better get out there, explore with confidence, and have a desire for more adventure! It is okay to have opinions, that is your right and it's okay to be passionate about things that matter to you. All good things, just start off on the right foot, and think about what you say before you say it. This will help delineate any negativity that I feel most of us try to avoid in this one life we have to live. (especially on here with everything that O.B. seems to stand for) So live it to the fullest, you can't do that being a freaking buzz kill you know? Anyways enough of my ranting for now, look forward to seeing everyone out on the trail this weekend!