US West San Diego Overland Bound Trail Runs

• HTML tutorial

WhatTheZo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego
Member #

So close to catching the near roll over, glad that didn't happen.

Nice you meet you guys and gal.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using OB Talk mobile app
!! Go on...or is it one of those "you had to have been there" moments.

I totally want to meet up, but then I get anxiety when I see that many names signed up for a run.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kyle & Kari Frink

Snupee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

!! Go on...or is it one of those "you had to have been there" moments.

I totally want to meet up, but then I get anxiety when I see that many names signed up for a run.

We had 7 rigs on this trip which was perfect and it was early enough that there wasn't many others out. The almost roll, was me picking the worst possible line I could have (because I couldn't see it and decided to just go with it anyway) and next thing you feel the bottom drop out on you and pray that your tire hits the ground before your center of gravity goes to the point of no return! I think it felt and looked worse than it was, mainly because the FJ has 35's and a good suspension. I will definitely double check my line next time, lesson learned!

Mogwai

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Member #

We had 7 rigs on this trip which was perfect and it was early enough that there wasn't many others out. The almost roll, was me picking the worst possible line I could have (because I couldn't see it and decided to just go with it anyway) and next thing you feel the bottom drop out on you and pray that your tire hits the ground before your center of gravity goes to the point of no return! I think it felt and looked worse than it was, mainly because the FJ has 35's and a good suspension. I will definitely double check my line next time, lesson learned!
No I'm pretty sure you were a degree away from disaster haha... it looked as bad as it could have been. But you made a good move by hitting gas instead of brake and powering on to where that video picks up.

The motorecycle guy watching...."that was intense". [emoji33] [emoji33] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Snupee

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

Hey everyone! Sorry the fam and I were late last night to the meet up at Rough Draft Brewing, you know how work can run late some days.
  • So if any trail runs where decided on/or talked about please let us know.
If no ideas were tossed around, please throw down some inputs as to where YOU would like our next trail run to take place.
  • After some time has passed for people to give their inputs (since we are not all on here 24/7 as such is life, since we should be out exploring whenever we can enjoying our lives.)
  • We shall then make a choice/vote on the given inputs and suggestions.
  • Be mindful that not everyone's Rig can tackle every trail out there. With that being said, if there is a trail voted on that your rig is not capable of completing do not be discouraged. There will be plenty of "group runs" for everyone to seek out their passion of Overlanding together.
  • Once that choice is "locked in" we will start the planning/preparing phase to push out information on the upcoming trail, just like last the last run.

Snupee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

I think Corral Canyon would be a good run to go on, I've never done it, but from what I understand it that most 4x4's can make it and the more modified rigs can take some of the side trails for more challenging obstacles. I am also down for a weekend overland trip as well. A few people were talking about hip camp, where people rent out their properties where we could do a group camp site for a weekend to get to know each other, something like this: https://www.hipcamp.com/california/jonas-d-s-land/san-diego-mountain-camp

WhatTheZo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego
Member #

I think Corral Canyon would be a good run to go on, I've never done it, but from what I understand it that most 4x4's can make it and the more modified rigs can take some of the side trails for more challenging obstacles. I am also down for a weekend overland trip as well. A few people were talking about hip camp, where people rent out their properties where we could do a group camp site for a weekend to get to know each other, something like this: https://www.hipcamp.com/california/jonas-d-s-land/san-diego-mountain-camp
Corral Canyon is a good mix. Otay TT is another area where you can spend forever wandering around.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using OB Talk mobile app

Snupee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

OtayTT in my experience was crowed and dodging speeding Border Patrol Jeeps wasn't my idea of a good time on a trail (I almost went head on with a BP flying about 40 around a corner, he locked it up and almost went over the edge of the cliff). Its nice that its close, but thats also part of the problem IMHO.

MtnDuck

Rank I

Enthusiast I

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Wagner
Service Branch
Army Vet
OtayTT in my experience was crowed and dodging speeding Border Patrol Jeeps wasn't my idea of a good time on a trail (I almost went head on with a BP flying about 40 around a corner, he locked it up and almost went over the edge of the cliff). Its nice that its close, but thats also part of the problem IMHO.
For OtayTT, it's good if you encounter a Border Patrol agent down on the pavement. Let them know your intended area of travel on the mountain and they can announce your presence over their comms so the rest know to look out for you. There have been a couple vehicles in the past three years that, for one reason or another, didn't negotiate the curves and ended up discovering the uncomfortable way to go down a hill.

Sent from my E6782 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Kyle & Kari Frink

WhatTheZo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego
Member #

For OtayTT, it's good if you encounter a Border Patrol agent down on the pavement. Let them know your intended area of travel on the mountain and they can announce your presence over their comms so the rest know to look out for you. There have been a couple vehicles in the past three years that, for one reason or another, didn't negotiate the curves and ended up discovering the uncomfortable way to go down a hill.

Sent from my E6782 using OB Talk mobile app
Yeah, I've driven past them a couple times and just throw a friendly wave. Haven't needed to talk to them (only have been hitting up those trails in the last two years or so).

Beats other experiences where I had my boot treads checked...

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

Both great ideas!

Hip Camp would be great for being able to enjoy some shoot time, Corral Canyon is also a good one.
As @Snupee has said they have trails that most everyone can manage and then a couple more advanced ones.
Sidewinder is their most advanced trail and is definitely spotter required for the majority.​

Snupee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

I am going to get a group camp trip set up for the end of September (28th - 30th) at either the Hip Camp Spot or a camp ground. Personally I would rather avoid a traditional campground if at all possible, because it would be fun to shoot, but if the consensus would rather do a campsite that works as well and we can decide on a site and everyone who wants to go can reserve sites? Open to any other ideas or suggestions?

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

I am going to get a group camp trip set up for the end of September (28th - 30th) at either the Hip Camp Spot or a camp ground. Personally I would rather avoid a traditional campground if at all possible, because it would be fun to shoot, but if the consensus would rather do a campsite that works as well and we can decide on a site and everyone who wants to go can reserve sites? Open to any other ideas or suggestions?
Disperse Camping is definitely the way to go for sure! That's just us personally, it's nice to be away from "regular" traffic an established campground will give you.

Snupee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

I booked the Hip Camp spot I had posted a few days ago for September 28th - 30th. There are 540 acres that we will have to ourselves and depending on how many people commit it will determine the cost per person. Right now it is reserved for 6 people but we can have up to 56. Based on 6 people the cost per person would be $26 for the weekend, it is a wopping $5 per additional person, so the more we get the cost per person will go down, so if we get 20 people the cost goes down to ~$12/per person, which is more money towards beer!

It will be dispersed camping so no running water, no toilets (bring a shovel or a bucket), what ever is packed in needs to be packed out. There is some limited offroading and a few shooting spots, and I'm sure we can set up a few horse shoe pits, so we will have plenty of activities to do. I was thinking about doing a Pot luck dinner for Saturday night so everyone can make their camp specialties. I'm looking forward to this short trip and getting to know our fellow Overlanders!