Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

...I think a oz tent or knock off is probably in the future. Hoping I can find a used oz tent...
Check the various overlanding/expedition sites. Used Oz tents pop up all the time. The other thing to try would be to organize a group buy. I don't know what kind of pricing you can get now, but a little more than a year ago, a few friends from another forum were able to get a decent discount.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Influencer II

Riverside,CA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Cochran
Member #

Tuff Stuff roof top tents are Fantastic, a lot of bang for your Buck !!!! I love mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lipek

jz8t1

Rank II

Advocate II

Hey guys.
Ive been wanting a rtt since i bought my 80. Love the look of them. And the rtts. Lol.
So I've been doing my research on them. I live in Canada so ive been looking for a Canadian distributor. Cant afford to to buy one in the usa with our weak dollar. So today i contacted a company in Nova Scotia (www.wildcoasttents.com) and asked where their tents were manufactured? He replied "china" they are all made in china . They use the same material and all look pretty much the same. There are two companies that aren't china made 1 is in Portugal and they are twice as expensive as everyone else and the other is in Africa and they are three times more expensive then everyone .
He didnt say which companies they were.
What do you guys think. Are they all china made? Does anyone really know?

Last edited:
Reactions: scooterd58

jz8t1

Rank II

Advocate II

I just got a email from tepui and they are made over seas too.

Last edited:

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I've posted about my tent before, but what the heck....

I know rooftop tents are more fashionable but I can't really use them.
1. 4 people, lots of stuff in the tent.
2. I like to be able to stand up in the tent.. we hang a net across the top for gear and I can still stand up in ours (6'2"). We are always doing something in there.
3. Bedding being comfortable is a function of what bedding you use.. nothing wrong with the ground. We use self inflating air pads which are like 4" and I can sleep on my side and its awesome. The roof rack you put a RTT on isn't any more comfortable by default than the ground.
4. I like to have a base camp, leave our entire setup and use the vehicle. Can't make a firewood run if the wife is in the tent with the kids.
5. When it rains, we setup the table in the vestibule and cook.. standing up. etc.. i know you can get the add ons for the RTTs but ya.. that is the same as just setting up a ground tent or
shelter.

So... I don't know... if they made like a crazy huge RTT I might consider it, but honestly I love just having our cases up top with the light stuff, pillows, luxurious bedding stuff... :P It is easy to free up a lot of space in the cab during trips.

Kodiak Canvas Flexbow 10x10 deluxe.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I've posted about my tent before, but what the heck....

I know rooftop tents are more fashionable but I can't really use them.
1. 4 people, lots of stuff in the tent.
2. I like to be able to stand up in the tent.. we hang a net across the top for gear and I can still stand up in ours (6'2"). We are always doing something in there.
3. Bedding being comfortable is a function of what bedding you use.. nothing wrong with the ground. We use self inflating air pads which are like 4" and I can sleep on my side and its awesome. The roof rack you put a RTT on isn't any more comfortable by default than the ground.
4. I like to have a base camp, leave our entire setup and use the vehicle. Can't make a firewood run if the wife is in the tent with the kids.
5. When it rains, we setup the table in the vestibule and cook.. standing up. etc.. i know you can get the add ons for the RTTs but ya.. that is the same as just setting up a ground tent or
shelter.

So... I don't know... if they made like a crazy huge RTT I might consider it, but honestly I love just having our cases up top with the light stuff, pillows, luxurious bedding stuff... :P It is easy to free up a lot of space in the cab during trips.

Kodiak Canvas Flexbow 10x10 deluxe.

Nice set up. Like you, I'm more partial to ground camping with an air mattress. Try to leave my rig as light as possible when on the trails. Or if I want to go explore, my wife can stay at the camp. I'm entertaining the idea of a m416 trailer outfitted with an RTT someday. But till then, it's ground camping for me.

Tom (Steel Industries)

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Vacaville, CA 95687, USA
Member #

View attachment 2123 I've spent many years sleeping on the ground, then on a sleeping mat and then on a cot. I can say I have never been more comfortable than when sleeping in my RTT. I put a couple of comforters under me and a big ol' down comforter on top with a couple of down pillows (all of which can be kept in the tent when stored). It's like sleeping on my queen bed with my wife and even more comfortable having all the room to myself. Being off the ground means no worries in the rain, fewer critters and a general sense of security. The heavier canvas insulates better and makes for a quieter night with noisy or snoring neighbors. Set up can be done in less than 5 minutes. You are looking at a major investment and need to determine if it is worth it. For me it is definitely a yes.
Nice set up! I'm looking to get a RTT very soon!

Traveler I

Member #

Imma jump in and just give my $.02, my wife and i got our Tepui Autuna (with annex) almost a year ago, and throughout the year have prob stayed in it 40 nights or so, in all different weather. The ONLY real issue I have is the whole "pack it up to move the vehicle anywhere". But I also planned for an RTT when i picked my vehicle, because nothing about an RTT being the highest point on a vehicle is going to be good. Wind Restriction, ease of deployment and stowage, getting the cover back on when its wet and sub freezing....That being said, I dont have those issues because Tacoma.
My list of high points-
-Doesnt matter if ur in a cow pasture (overland expo) or rock or sand, u sleep on the same platform
-If it does rain, ur not puttin up a muddy tent, just a wet one
-No messin with cot or air matress or bedding, it all folds up inside. saves a surprising amount of room
-the mosquitos and bugs havent figured out how to infiltrate mine ....yet. guessing bc they like the 6' or lower range, where blood normally is
-I only use my annex in colder or inclimate weather, makes a solid place to cook and put the chairs and buddy heater. cooper.jpg untitled.png1.png

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

Hey Everyone,

So as there are 100's of ways to go out there and camp in the wilderness,
There is also just as many Ground tents as there are Roof Tents

What would you guys prefer, Ground tent or Roof tent?

Both have their advantages as well as disadvantages
Both are simple to get setup (for the most part)
Depending on the conditions either are ideal

Lets see what you guys think :)

Kev

Jkroberts

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Lake Forest CA
Member #

I grew up ground tent camping in boy scouts and with my family. I recently acquired a roof top tent from a buddy of mine in a trade. Man o man I'll never sleep on the ground again. Here is why:

1- I can get the roof top tent set up a lot faster than a ground tent. Probably due to how I pack but regardless it's nice not having to mess with poles a such
2- it's a lot more comfortable! With a thick wide mattress and a flat bottom I don't have to worry about sliding off my tiny sleeping mat like in a ground tent.
3- my roof top tent is a lot sturdier than my ground tent with is really nice in windy conditions. I don't like feeling I'm going to fly away.
4- the way I have the roof top tent orientated on my roof (folds over the back) it creates an awning that protect the back of my truck from the sun and rain

Only down side is that it is big but it hasn't been a real issue yet. I don't see myself sleeping in a ground tent ever again!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: vegasjeepguy

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
I have an Oztent when I am out with the family or if I am going to have a base camp for a few days. Yes you can really pitch it in under a minute. It is rock solid in the weather and I can almost stand up straight in it. (I'm 6'4"). I like to be able to drive away and leave tge tent set up.

If I am out buy my self I usually Hammock camp. Quike and easy setup. There is no system that I have ever used that is as versatile as a well thought out hammock rig. My hole rig breaks down into a bag about the size of a foot ball. No trees? No problem. My truck and a fence post or sign post or rock face or even a buddies roof rack will do. Living in the desert it is nice to be up where one can get a cool breeze and I have comfortability sleep down into the 30ºs. Fule savings on a couple of trips compared to my Oztent, or a RTT for that matter probably pays for itself.

I always have a hammock with me when offroading just in case... [emoji42]

Sent from my GT-N8013 using OB Talk mobile app